Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers?

rooster mcbee

I'm not trying to start a ruckus or anything, I'm just asking a general question.  Has anyone seen any Federal Small Pistol primers for sale at their local stores, or at any of the online sellers in the last 2-3 months?  I've seen CCI's, and was too late for some Winchesters, but I haven't heard or seen anything about Federals.  I'm just curious about what you've seen.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't remember where I read it, but I read that a CCI engineer said there has been a change in manufacturing and CCI primers are softer now.   As soft as Federal?  I don't know, but I recently obtained 1000 CCI small pistol primers and had NO problem with them in my M627.  

I got a thousand  Fed magnum small pistol and a thousand small pistol match primers a week ago at my local store - not cheap. Got some Winchester small rifle (they work just as well as small magnum) $43. They were old enough to be sliver colored. That LGS doesn't sell much reloading supplies and had old stock. Also got Fed lp for $35, they came in a red box.

11 hours ago, varminter22 said:

I can't remember where I read it, but I read that a CCI engineer said there has been a change in manufacturing and CCI primers are softer now.   As soft as Federal?  I don't know, but I recently obtained 1000 CCI small pistol primers and had NO problem with them in my M627.  

Yes Brownell's states it and I've heard it from others.  I have 5,000 and recently used 1,000 in my tuned 627's.  in my PC it was working as well as Fed's, in my Pro took a little bit more but not much.  I'd use them for practice until I've had a few more thousands with no issues in my PC, which has a 32 oz hammer fall.

The problem is CCI & Fed's are both owned by VIsta and they just got a huge Fed Ammo Contract.  So if you find them at any reasonable price get them.

Targetsporsusa & Brownell's have had them.

4 hours ago, Chills1994 said:

.38 caliber…huh?

and .45???

I can remember when the 9 became the hot item and everyone thought the 45 was dead but low and behold many special services still used the 45, especially for suppressed uses. Not sure who’s using 38 but there still seems to be quite a bit of once fired brass for that around also. 
I just hope that place in Texas get rolling on the primer production when they said they would. 

Edited by Farmer

7 hours ago, Farmer said:

I can remember when the 9 became the hot item and everyone thought the 45 was dead but low and behold many special services still used the 45, especially for suppressed uses. Not sure who’s using 38 but there still seems to be quite a bit of once fired brass for that around also. 
I just hope that place in Texas get rolling on the primer production when they said they would. 

since I am close to East Alton, all the local gun stores that would normally carry reloading supplies …normally get primers direct from Winchester/Olin.  One LGS got in a shipment of about 30 or 32 sleeves/cases of primers (5 bricks per sleeve) about 2 months ago.  POOF!  They were all gone the next day.

Supposedly, that Olin guy/rep told then to NOT expect any more primer deliveries in 2022.

Yeah, I am hoping Expansion Industries (of Texarkana) can bring new primers to the market.  But if the old/dated internet reviews of their past ventures are to be believed, I won’t be holding my breath.  The terms “vaporware” or “unobtainium” come to mind.

28 minutes ago, Chills1994 said:

One LGS got in a shipment of about 30 or 32 sleeves/cases of primers (5 bricks per sleeve) about 2 months ago.  POOF!  They were all gone the next day.

I'll bet they put them on gun broker, and raped somebody on the price.

7 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

That’s a possibility, but there was a customer standing like 4 feet from me just like “window shopping” and he was nodding his head the whole time.  Turns out that guy reloads and was following their facebook page when they posted about primers coming in.

So he was part of the mad rush to get primers in person.

I picked up 10K Fed 100's from Natchez about six months ago.  Another 5K from Target Barn along with PK about two months ago.  I paid a premium price for both places but with what I had on hand, I have enough primers to get me into next year.

As PK has tested the new CCI's and found them to be reliable in his revolvers, I will gladly buy them when I can find them.  They are a lot cheaper than Federals, too.

I use Discord to alert me and it is a better option than searching once a day.  Still, if you don't order the primers within an hour or two of Discord alerting you, they are gone.

I still look at prices and can afford to wait now that I have enough for my training and competitions for the next year but if I see CCI's or Feds that are reasonably priced, I will buy as many as the place lets me buy.  

I hear you guys about government contracts but I don't think they suck up as much production capacity as one thinks.  Talk about Gov contracts is enough to start another shortage though.  People are very uneasy about the political situation and it won't take much to see the hoarding and scalping again.  

GG

3 hours ago, gargoil66 said:

I hear you guys about government contracts but I don't think they suck up as much production capacity as one thinks.  Talk about Gov contracts is enough to start another shortage though.  People are very uneasy about the political situation and it won't take much to see the hoarding and scalping again.  

GG

I was thinking the same thing. Although a few years back Speer had a large Gov contact and you couldn’t find many of their bullets, especially Gold Dots. Then the pandemic and things are still sparse.    Around here others are finally showing up like loaded ammo and powders. Don’t need to start another Panic before things get rolling again. 

Edited by Farmer

On 4/29/2022 at 7:56 AM, ysrracer said:

Its not rape when its consensual,  its more like they went to a hooker they knew what they were buying and they were willing to pay for it.

1 hour ago, ysrracer said:

Ammo and powder have doubled in price, primers have quadrupled. Somebody's raping me :)

The rising costs on components is annoying, but one of my pet peeves is people complaining about other people selling something at a higher price than they want to pay.  

I know too many people bitching about $100 per K primers who are sitting on 10s of thousands of primers they are unwilling to sell at that price. 

nothing personal just a peeve of mine. 

18 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

The rising costs on components is annoying, but one of my pet peeves is people complaining about other people selling something at a higher price than they want to pay.  

I know too many people bitching about $100 per K primers who are sitting on 10s of thousands of primers they are unwilling to sell at that price. 

nothing personal just a peeve of mine. 

One of my pet peeves is other people with pet peeves that aren't the same as mine :)

19 hours ago, Farmer said:

I was thinking the same thing. Although a few years back Speer had a large Gov contact and you couldn’t find many of their bullets, especially Gold Dots. Then the pandemic and things are still sparse.    Around here others are finally showing up like loaded ammo and powders. Don’t need to start another Panic before things get rolling again. 

FM:

Not sure what is available in Spokane anymore.  White Elephant was a good place at one time.  I haven't bought reloading components at a retail store for twenty or more years. 

I assure you that it won't be us on this forum starting a panic and I think the public is sick of dire predictions about the supply of everything, let alone reloading components, and maybe this will settle things down some.   

However, if I see CCI or Fed primers for a decent price for sale by one of the big on line reloading stores, I will buy as many as they will sell me.  

BTW -- I take it you found someplace near you to shoot?  

GG