Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buying an Akai Open Gun

LmtdOne

Okay so what is the scoop on Akai's open guns? I started a thread recently asking for everybody's suggestions on who they would have build an open gun in 2022. I saw several recommendations but I don't recall seeing anybody say Akai? I was leaning towards having an Infinity built but decided to call Akai and they just so happened to have a gun fitting exactly what I was after that they were getting ready to put on their website to sell, ready to go. I am going to go that route instead of waiting the 8-12 months for the Infinity or waiting on one of the other builders to free up some time to take on new work. Let me know your guys' opinions on Akai guns, especially open guns. If you like them, please let me know why you love Akais. If you would never own another Akai, I would like to know your experience as well. Don't worry about upsetting me because I chose the Akai. I want to hear genuine experiences. Thanks for your input.

Had a close friend order 2 Open guns and 2 single stacks at the same time 3yrs ago, his experience was not very good. Open guns had wrong grips, the Akai lettering looked like it was done by hand with a dremel, and they wouldn’t eject. Sent the guns back, shay fixed everything except he extraction issue. Single stacks had the same poor lettering, he was so soured with the experience the guns are just sitting in his safe. Now mind you he’s had shay build him 2 limited guns, 2 sets of single stacks (9mm & .40) about 5yrs prior to the above mentioned guns, those older guns runs great and look amazing. I don’t want to bash shay, because has built a lot of great guns that run, I’m just sharing an experience of a close friend. 

I had him build me a limited 9mm pistol about 5 or 6 years ago before he became popular had it in 3 months and it shot great never one problem out of it bought 2 open pistols and ended up having to get someone else to fix them because I didn't wanna wait, took me almost 2 years to get my pistol 

I went the same route as you.  Bought an Akai because it was done and available.  It was a decent gun but would not run in 38 super as promised.  Finally prompted my complete changeover to supercomp 3 weeks before the Nationals (did work then).  On Christian's recommendation ordered an Infinity.  It is just a better built gun, though more expensive.  Sold the Akai and just took delivery on a second Infinity

• 2 weeks later...

You will have the same opinion as almost everyone else who spends money on his guns does soon enough. Hope you got a heck of a deal. 

As for the "not wanting to wait 8-12 months or until a builder has their books open", you were given a few very solid names to get ahold of and could have the gun in the same or less time with at least one. 

On 2/16/2022 at 12:12 PM, bradhe said:

I went the same route as you.  Bought an Akai because it was done and available.  It was a decent gun but would not run in 38 super as promised.  Finally prompted my complete changeover to supercomp 3 weeks before the Nationals (did work then).  On Christian's recommendation ordered an Infinity.  It is just a better built gun, though more expensive.  Sold the Akai and just took delivery on a second Infinity

Mind me asking how long your wait time was for the 2nd Infinity?

1 hour ago, chrisstophere said:

Mind me asking how long your wait time was for the 2nd Infinity?

I recently took deliver of an infinity in 8 months time, they are now quoting 10 to 12 months 

1 hour ago, Furrly said:

I recently took deliver of an infinity in 8 months time, they are now quoting 10 to 12 months 

I was quoted 8-10 months and am seeing if others given the same time frame are coming in closer to the 8 rather the 10. I put it in Sept\Oct. '21

I highly recommed Venom Customs. I did a lot of research before I purchased since I have had extremely bad support from the last two I purchased. I talked with multiple poeple before hand and heard nothing but good things. Don the builder from Venom gave me his cell phone and I can call/text anytime with issues or questions. He repsonds very quickly and is super helpful and friendly. I have had zero issues with the gun. I am not sure what his build time is currenlty but he is a phone call away. 

11 minutes ago, jsoupene said:

I highly recommed Venom Customs. I did a lot of research before I purchased since I have had extremely bad support from the last two I purchased. I talked with multiple poeple before hand and heard nothing but good things. Don the builder from Venom gave me his cell phone and I can call/text anytime with issues or questions. He repsonds very quickly and is super helpful and friendly. I have had zero issues with the gun. I am not sure what his build time is currenlty but he is a phone call away. 

Venom is a good choice.  But he's backed up and not taking any orders for now.

18 hours ago, chrisstophere said:

I was quoted 8-10 months and am seeing if others given the same time frame are coming in closer to the 8 rather the 10. I put it in Sept\Oct. '21

I order mine March '21 and haven't received it yet. 

I started off with a limited gun built by Shay and it was a tack driver.  I bought an open hybrid 9Maj pistol used off one of the team members. They needed some work so I sent it back to Akai and they serviced it. When it came back, it ran very well. This past year I purchased another used 9Maj pistol that ended up going back on two different occasions for repair work. It was my primary pistol. My back up has been flawless. Now that the primary pistol is back, it’s going to the range tomorrow so I can test it out. Customer service is a little tough at times and communication lacks on occasion  but overall, I’m happy with the finished product. 

Wanted to make sure you saw this one in the classifieds.  I knew Jason when we came up through the Jr. program at the WAC.  As he is in medical school now, he doesn't have the opportunity to shoot much anymore.  In any event, scroll to the bottom as he's dropped the price to get it moved.  Good luck!