Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weak ejection gen4 Glock 34

mbuckdc

I have a gen 4 Glock 34. It has 15-20k rounds through it, and lately the brass is ejecting and dropping at my feet. I have not had a malfunction but afraid a stovepipe issue is in my near future. The extractor spring, extractor, and recoil spring are all original. I am guessing one of these may be my culprit. I am shooting the same power factor as I was some time ago with better ejection. What parts should I look at to fix this??

At that sort of mileage, you might as well replace all the springs. 
I was having issues with weak ejection and a new ejector from a Gen 5 helped. That wouldn’t be your issue though since it’s a new problem. 

Big Tex Ordinance is where I grab my Glock parts from, they are closed today though and have their site off it appears. 

Has there been any change in ammo?  In today's "ammo shortage" world, Quality Control seems to have exited stage left.  I recently encountered a bunch of 40 ammo that was advertised as the nominal "180 grain at 950 fps" standard.  When test-firing a few guns, I noticed the same weak ejection issue as the OP.  I knew the ammo wasn't right because I have gotten quite "recoil averse" in my old age and I notice it when shooting 40 and 10mm.  Chrono'ing that lot of ammo revealed that it was only going about 750 fps.

22 minutes ago, Braxton1 said:

Has there been any change in ammo?  In today's "ammo shortage" world, Quality Control seems to have exited stage left.  I recently encountered a bunch of 40 ammo that was advertised as the nominal "180 grain at 950 fps" standard.  When test-firing a few guns, I noticed the same weak ejection issue as the OP.  I knew the ammo wasn't right because I have gotten quite "recoil averse" in my old age and I notice it when shooting 40 and 10mm.  Chrono'ing that lot of ammo revealed that it was only going about 750 fps.

Maybe when they got 950 FPS they used a 16” PCC barrel???

:)

I agree with Edwards30 suggestion that you might as well replace all the springs. It’s cheap enough to do, that it should be an automatic at that number of rounds. Now that I think about it, at 20,000 rounds it’s also probably time for it’s second cleaning as well. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I had this on my 17/sro combo and swapping out the RSA seemed to do the trick. That said - anyone have an aftermarket RSA where you can just replace the spring or just buy a bunch of factory ones and toss the old one when you’re done?

On 5/31/2021 at 7:53 PM, mbuckdc said:

I have a gen 4 Glock 34. It has 15-20k rounds through it, and lately the brass is ejecting and dropping at my feet. I have not had a malfunction but afraid a stovepipe issue is in my near future. The extractor spring, extractor, and recoil spring are all original. I am guessing one of these may be my culprit. I am shooting the same power factor as I was some time ago with better ejection. What parts should I look at to fix this??

Weak recoil spring could be it, but  what is your load data, bullet gr, powder & amt, and OAL?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2021 at 7:16 AM, Ajsomp said:

I had this on my 17/sro combo and swapping out the RSA seemed to do the trick. That said - anyone have an aftermarket RSA where you can just replace the spring or just buy a bunch of factory ones and toss the old one when you’re done?

Take a look at these from NDZ:  https://www.ndzperformance.com/NDZ-Glock-Gen-1-3-SST-Guide-Rod-17-22-24-31-34-35-p/ndz-glk-gro-g17.htm   I use them and like them a lot.  I have no interest in this company other than being a satisfied customer.

2 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

First

clean the hole for the plunger and spring and around the extractor like crazy.

….and replace all the springs in the gun every 10-15k just as general maintenance.

What Memphis Mechanic said above.  I went through this same problem with a Glock 17 Gen4.  Tried the Apex "Failure Resistant Extractor" but later switched back to Glock OEM extractor and all was good.  Didn't find the Apex extractor worked any better than Glock OEM.