Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Announces Rules Adjustment For Holster/Mag Pouch Positions

BritinUSA

1 minute ago, dafreshfish said:

"Appendix D4, D5, and D7 line 12 Change to 'NO' 'Restriction on position of equipment...NO'"

The BOD removed the entire restriction on Line 12 including 5.2.7.2 and Appendix E3.

Thanks for the clarification. 

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, SGT_Schultz said:

The Board minutes said the changes were effective immediately.  Meaning immediately after the board published its minutes.

It can't be any more clear IMO.

"Motion by Area 7, second by Area 3, to change the rules and appendices to update holster and magazine retention positions as specified below. Changes to be effective upon release"

When I emailed USPSA, they were referring to the release of the new rules not the BOD meeting notes.  Either way, the rules are supposed to be published today so can all start fiddling with our belts today.

4 minutes ago, SGT_Schultz said:

Because the guns are different?

You certainly can't think that moving some mag pouches and holsters around negates an Open gun's technical and scoring advantages.

Or do you?

There have been several changes in the last few years that essentially eliminated the difference between different divisions. Different guns?? Please tell me how Shadow 2 is different from a limited gun?? The DA is the only and a very minor difference these days. This is why for example,  I switched to limited after many years shooting Production with various CZs. The recent rules go further in that direction. At this point,  the only difference should be minor vs major and iron vs optic. 

I see people saying they need to add a light to there guns now. With shadow 2's with brass grips weighting in at 54 oz empty do we really need to rush out and buy a $100 light and a new $60 holster to add 3 more oz to our guns?

I'm not saying I oppose the rule change, I just don't think this is the game changer some people are making it out to be. Am I missing something?

48 minutes ago, cheby said:

All these rule changes inevitably bring us to a question why there are different divisions?

As much as I like the rule changes, I was thinking the same exact thing.

At least my carry optics magazines and PCC magazines will be in the same location now.

Edited by Boomstick303

I think we are going to the following direction:

1. Optic Open- major, compensator.

2. Optic regular - minor, no compensator 

3. Iron Major 

4. Iron minor 

That's all. Everything else does not matter 

Just now, cheby said:

I think we are going to the following direction:

1. Optic Open- major, compensator.

2. Optic regular - minor, no compensator 

3. Iron Major 

4. Iron minor 

That's all. Everything else does not matter 

This sounds pretty ok to me. make it

1. 170mm

2. 15 round

3. 140mm

4. 15 round

2 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

I'm not saying I oppose the rule change, I just don't think this is the game changer some people are making it out to be. Am I missing something?

I don't think it's a massive game-changer... which is why I'm fine with it. To me, the advantage are:

• Lots of folks have carry guns that are setup for CO + flashlight, so now they can run them as-is
  • Holster compatibility; I have a few guns that I run in a modified Omnivore 
  • I'm assuming this means the light can be on while shooting (waiting on the rule release to confirm). This could be useful for those of us that shoot indoor matches

The changes seem generally well-received so far because the change isn't massive. I think the holster/mag pouch changes are actually a bigger deal.

1 minute ago, JFlowers said:

Cheby, You forgot Revolver.  Not the popular kids, but it does still exist.

So basically back to the old days of Open, Limited, Revolver.

Sorry. Revolver. Sure you can play with it

13 minutes ago, dafreshfish said:

"Appendix D4, D5, and D7 line 12 Change to 'NO' 'Restriction on position of equipment...NO'"

The BOD removed the entire restriction on Line 12 including 5.2.7.2 and Appendix E3.

Where are you quoting that from? I only see that they removed the reference to E3.

"App. D4, D5, D7, Item 12 Removed reference to App. E3"

And from the Downrange email:

"Please note that all other rules including the type of holster, height of the firearm, and distance from the belt have not changed." 

Is a laser considered a flashlight?  Nothing in the rule book seems to define the flashlight although PCC seems to specify laser/flashlight is permitted.  Definition for flashlight according to google is "a battery-operated portable light" and a laser is "a device that generates an intense beam of coherent monochromatic light".

30 minutes ago, cheby said:

Please tell me how Shadow 2 is different from a limited gun?? 

double action trigger, 9mm vs 40 (minor ms major scoring), 10 round mags, mass-produced, standard non-race holster. Those are pretty much the same differences that have always existed. Production and limited are still radically different imho.

Personally, as someone who shoots alot of CO and SS (along with my main division, LIM), I think these changes are all good things, and will have almost no effect whatsoever on me. I'll probably move my SS mags a half-inch forward, and maybe that'll make the 4th one easier to grab. I'm not going to change anything on my CO rig. I found when I experimented in L10 a few years ago that moving the mag pouches significantly further forward made my 2nd mag and beyond reloads worse, and I often missed the first mag entirely. So I put them back to the same spot as for SS.

I certainly wouldn't add a light to my gun.... otoh, if I carried a light on duty or whatever, i might prefer to use the same setup. Maybe for people with crappy plastic guns it will be an easy and cheap way to add weight and make them *feel* more competitive with the custom shop production guns.

Edited by motosapiens

2 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

I'm not going to change anything on my CO rig. I found when I experimented in L10 a few years ago that moving the mag pouches significantly further forward made my 2nd mag and beyond reloads worse, and I often missed the first mag entirely. So I put them back to the same spot as for SS.

Back when I was shooting I did a lot of testing to find my best holster position/angle. I found that putting the holster on the seam of my pants with the gun pointed straight down was the best position for me. This put the holster well within the limit. 

For the mag holders I can see the angled ones becoming popular as its far easier/faster to reload from the front than from the side.

8 minutes ago, DirkD said:

I am glad they left Production at 10 rounds, I would have liked to see them go to SA in CO though.

With the Timney Alpha competition trigger for the Glock and The Sig Armorer trigger job with the Gray Guns Competition Trigger kit, we are almost there now.

BC  

Edited by BillChunn

2 minutes ago, BillChunn said:

With the Timney Alpha competition trigger for the Glock and The Sig Armorer trigger job with the Gray Guns Competition Triger kit, we are almost there now.

BC  

yeah but no 2011s or CZ SA Only, but they are allowed in IDPA.

1 minute ago, BritinUSA said:

For the mag holders I can see the angled ones becoming popular as its far easier/faster to reload from the front than from the side.

i believe that people think that, but I never found it to be true. and while in CO you typically only do 1 reload, I found that having to change my arm movement for subsequent reloads in low-cap divisions was awkard. With my old-school setup, I just keep sweeping my hand back using about the same motion, and it keeps finding magazines. First 3 mags are all within .1 on the reload, 4th one takes another .1-.2.

Of course the thing is that people are individuals, so if this helps some people make their gear fit their bodies better, I think that's a good thing. Perhaps I am just lucky that the old positions suited me so well.

I sure hope we don't go down this road where, "Dude has 5 magnets and no pouches on his belt" Road. Please say it ain't gonna happen. 🤪

I hope not, actually think it's faster to pull from a pouch then a magnet.