Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alternative powder to titegroup

Bakerjd

Second for WST in 135 grain 9mm.  It's been very useable for me.  Good case fill.  Probably not as clean as n320.  Affordable and (usually) available.

231 and bullseye will do it too.  You've got lots of options if you're hurting for powder.  AA#2.  American Select.  Red dot.  Clays.  Universal.  CFE Pistol.  Sport Pistol.  True Blue.

Edited by johnmyster

No love for TiteGroup from me, too snappy, too hot, too dirty.   Just about anything works better, my favorite is N320 then WST (because 8# jugs are cheap), for minor I've used AutoComp and I like it.  SR7625, HP-38, Red Dot, Solo1000 to name a few.  These days like the Obama days you load what you can get. 

On 3/1/2021 at 10:46 AM, CocoBolo said:

No love for TiteGroup from me, too snappy, too hot, too dirty.   

Hey you stole my answer. I wanted to like Titegroup, but I couldn't. Too dirty, and too snappy.

I switched to Clays and 231, and have never looked back. In fact, I traded all my Titegroup for Clays, and laughed all the way home.

Edited by ysrracer
Typo

14 minutes ago, louu said:

Yer not supposed to use clays for 9mm

Why?

Here's my load for .38 Short Colt, basically a rimmed 9mm. No problems so far.

Name: .38 Short Colt:

158gr Berry's RN:

Clays 3.5gr:

OAL 1.20

Notes:S&W 627 5"

Shots: 7 Average: 822 ft/s

SD: 18 ft/s

Min: 797 ft/s

Max: 848 ft/s

Spread: 51 ft/s

Power Factor Average: 130

Power Factor Low: 125

Power Factor High: 133

Barometric Pressure: 30 in Hg

Temperature: 44 F

Weight: 158.0 gr.

Powder: Clays 3.5gr

Bullet: Berry's 158gr RN

C.O.A.L.: 1.20

Primer: Fed SPP Case: Starline

under the current component availability conditions, pretty much anything from E3 to AA9 will get you to workable loads, thats about 50 powders that could work, yes some will be dirty and loud some will be a bit fast burning, and some will have higher ES/SD but the fact remains that almost any of them will work well enough and the difference between the worst and best of them will account for less of your score than an afternoon of practice.

20 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

under the current component availability conditions, pretty much anything from E3 to AA9 will get you to workable loads, thats about 50 powders that could work, yes some will be dirty and loud some will be a bit fast burning, and some will have higher ES/SD but the fact remains that almost any of them will work well enough and the difference between the worst and best of them will account for less of your score than an afternoon of practice.

This X 10

Powder valley and midway have had a good flow of powders lately.  When they do show up you have to act fast.   They sell out pretty quickly.  I got 4 lbs of n320 recently.  Subscribe to notifications or find some groups that are monitoring the sites and you will increase your chances.  Primers are getting silly to find.  When they are available they sell out in seconds.  

During the Sandyhook shortage I acquired some Maxium CSB-1. It is supposed to be the same as universal. It shoots great, meters great, and is waaaaayyy cleaner than titegroup. I have loaded almost 15 pounds of it since then and am almost out but luckily a friend that bought some with me has 8 pounds left that I am picking up tomorrow. My point is don't be afraid to try something different, you may find something you like much better. 

On 3/1/2021 at 11:46 AM, CocoBolo said:

No love for TiteGroup from me, too snappy, too hot, too dirty.   Just about anything works better, my favorite is N320 then WST (because 8# jugs are cheap), for minor I've used AutoComp and I like it.  SR7625, HP-38, Red Dot, Solo1000 to name a few.  These days like the Obama days you load what you can get. 

Titegroup is too dirty and smoky. Almost reminds me of my blackpowder days.

On 3/1/2021 at 9:09 PM, carolina_boy1990 said:

Anyone know where there’s some N320 available? Also what’s a close alternative? Thank!

I’ve seen it pop up at powder valley and graf and son's in the last few days but it didn’t last long.