Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

100 round plunk tester recommendations

jejb

I've noticed my CZ S2 is more picky about my reloads than any of my other 9's of various makes. Not a OAL issue, but slight case expansion apparently. I have a single round plunk tester that works well, but that's not going to work for me as I'd like to check every round I make. So I'm looking at the 100 rounds plunk testers. Shock Bottle, Armanov and Lyman each make one. Does anyone have any experience with any of them, good or bad? Like most things, you read reviews and each have positive and negative feedback. The Armanov seems nice with it's included flip tray, but I don't think that's a show stopper since 100 round plastic reloading boxes will work also. 

I have a Shock Bottle 9mm hundo. Works very well. When used with Dillon ammo boxes, load the hundo, then place an empty Dillon 100 round box on it, flip, and go. This does put the case head down in the Dillon box, but I just use another Dillon box and flip them again.

1 hour ago, jejb said:

I've noticed my CZ S2 is more picky about my reloads than any of my other 9's of various makes. Not a OAL issue, but slight case expansion apparently. I have a single round plunk tester that works well, but that's not going to work for me as I'd like to check every round I make. So I'm looking at the 100 rounds plunk testers. Shock Bottle, Armanov and Lyman each make one. Does anyone have any experience with any of them, good or bad? Like most things, you read reviews and each have positive and negative feedback. The Armanov seems nice with it's included flip tray, but I don't think that's a show stopper since 100 round plastic reloading boxes will work also. 

Th Hundo from shockbottle is great. 

I have this same problem with a couple of CZ's and tight Taccom barrels. Not so much the OAL depending on bullet profile, but a slight expansion of the case when using coated bullets and a bigger bell to not scrape off the coating. The shock bottle hundo works great. If the round doesn't drop completely in the hundo and seat, it will cause a problem in some of these tight chambers. They run fine in an STI & JP barreled PCC, but not the CZ.

Took me awhile to catch this when I case gauge, to be very picky on how far they seat.

gerritm

I love my Armanov. I have one in 9, 40, and 45. I think they are made incredibly well. I like that they included both the gauge and the flip tip.

I think Shok makes you pay extra for the flip top and it's made of plastic. If I'm not mistaken.

Plus I'v had some really great customer service form Armanov. The guys over there are top notch.

Armanov has all kinds of accessories for the gauges as well. One to mark the cases. Another that lifts the cases up to check for uniform COAL. It's pretty innovative.

22 hours ago, Sarge said:

Th Hundo from shockbottle is great. 

The flip tray is also handy.  Saves double flipping into / out of a Dillon box.

Have been using it for over a year.  It's easy to check the primer seating when the rounds are in the Hundo.  Run you finger across the caseheads and you should feel a slight indentation when the primer is seated correctly.  The exception is Winchester brass.  Their primer pocket is just a bit shallower than the others so on those rounds, your finger just slides across.  When that happens, the case brand is checked and if it's WIN then move on to the next one.

The rounds that stick up out of the gauge are relegated to the practice ammo box.

BC

Thanks guys, I went with the Hundo. Seems to get the best overall reviews also. I'll just use the reloading box double flip thing to get them out of the tester and boxed up. Seems simple enough. 

iflyskyhi,

I have some Armanov stuff for my dillon, and it works well. I wanted to go that way, but there are just too many negative reviews on their plunk tester for me to feel confident about it. Glad you're happy with yours though. 

14 hours ago, BillChunn said:

It's easy to check the primer seating when the rounds are in the Hundo.  Run you finger across the caseheads and you should feel a slight indentation when the primer is seated correctly. 

I use this same method with the hundo.  In addition, I use a bitf pressure when checking the primer seating.  This will make any non-passing round actually get stuck in the gauge.  Then when I go to flip, the ones that are still in the gauge get relegated to practice.  Using MTM cases btw which also work with the flip method.  I recommend this little handy accessory in addition:

https://rangepanda.com/collections/misc-products/products/dmd-hundo-risers?variant=31072202391651

Depending on your OAL, this will help catch more case gauge failures.

Edited by mpmo

I have both the Armanov and the Shokbottle in 9mm.  I also have the EGW 7 round gauge which is supposed to be the tightest of all 3 case gauges.  I found the Armanov to be more consistent than the Hundo as well as being tighter.

My Hundo sits on the shelf while my Armanov is my go to.

9 hours ago, mpmo said:

I use this same method with the hundo.  In addition, I use a bitf pressure when checking the primer seating.  This will make any non-passing round actually get stuck in the gauge.  Then when I go to flip, the ones that are still in the gauge get relegated to practice.  Using MTM cases btw which also work with the flip method.  I recommend this little handy accessory in addition:

https://rangepanda.com/collections/misc-products/products/dmd-hundo-risers?variant=31072202391651

Depending on your OAL, this will help catch more case gauge failures.

Thanks. I watched a video where a guy just used the lid of an MTM box to do the same job as your linked accessory. So I think I'll try that first. I have several MTM boxes, so I'll just make sure I leave at least one empty for doing the testing. 

• 4 months later...

Man, why can’t all of you just agree as to which one is better?  That would make my decision sooooo much easier!

:)

I definitely need to decide and just order one soon. 

On 2/23/2021 at 9:44 PM, Hooked said:

I have both the Armanov and the Shokbottle in 9mm.  I also have the EGW 7 round gauge which is supposed to be the tightest of all 3 case gauges.  I found the Armanov to be more consistent than the Hundo as well as being tighter.

My Hundo sits on the shelf while my Armanov is my go to.

As I posted on the other thread, same applies to me.

This is my choice for the Shadow 2 Orange!

https://usa-shop.armanov.com/products/case-gauge-bundle-3-in-1

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp

7 hours ago, Cuz said:

Man, why can’t all of you just agree as to which one is better?  That would make my decision sooooo much easier!

:)

I definitely need to decide and just order one soon. 

It's not that one is necessarily better than another....it's just that they're different. 
Ben Stoeger Pro Shop is down the road from me, so I went with Hundos. 
I have the black flip trays as well,  which I use way more often than the blue risers.  

9 minutes ago, lll Otto lll said:

It's not that one is necessarily better than another....it's just that they're different. 
Ben Stoeger Pro Shop is down the road from me, so I went with Hundos. 
I have the black flip trays as well,  which I use way more often than the blue risers.  

I think I've come to that same conclusion.  I have some Armanov products and I'm happy with them.  This time around I'm going to go with Hundo mostly because I've learned a lot from Shred's posts over the last 15+ years and want to share the wealth.  Just waiting to hear back from Stoeger so I can place the order.

Thread starter here. FWIW, I've been happy with the Hundo. I think it might a little bit overly picky at times, but if it indicates it passes, it never fails in my S2O. I collect the "rejects" and shoot them up every now and then. Most still work fine, but there are usually 1 out of 10-15 or so that will not cycle. 

The hundo and cheap plastic 100 round ammo boxes work well - as previously stated, just have a few extra boxes so you can do the transfer twice.  Of note, you'll want to take a brush and clean the hundo every once in a while because it will get gummed up and it will be hard to tell if a round is sticking or if there is gunk making the round stick.

The EGW gauge does good checking brass, but is poor when it comes to checking loaded ammo.  A 0.355" bullet will not pass through my EGW gauge.  The EGW gauge will reject rounds based not only on the case size but also OAL.