Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major OAL

zdali

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone tried using the Lee 158gr RN cast bullet coated with Hitek with a 9x19 case and an OAL of 31.7-32.0 mm?

This is soft, accurate, economical and within published pressure limits. It also has a significant bullet engagement in the case (approx 6 mm) for stability during the loading cycle. Dot flip is a bit more than a light bullet but is very predictable.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, cnote said:

I ask the builder whats the oal they prefer or set up the gun for... if possible

also, different mags/followers like adifferent length with different profiles

Yep. This ^^^. My builder recommends 1.175 which actually helps with a full case of powder. 

• 3 months later...

From Shay Akai on FB:

"This needs to be said again, because I see that a lot.
When you load up 9major, you try and make your rounds as long as possible in order to increase case volume and reduce pressure. But, there are some limiting factors. 
Not all bullets, projectiles, are the same. They have different profiles that make a big difference. For example, although I love the golden bullets, their 124JHP has a fairly unique profile, a sharp shoulder fairly far forward. The bullet design is great for accuracy, but some people load it incorrectly.
If this bullet is loaded long, 1.167 in the pictures below, the shoulder of the bullet will get stuck on the throat. The throat, basically, is the funnel, the transition between the chamber and the rifling. 
Yes, the throat can be increased, a few turns of a throater can increase the depth of the throat, it will work for this specific bullet and round length, but if you ever switch bullets, there will be too much space there and you will get issues. For example, blow by gasses.
The best way I found, personally, is to load a long round with loose crimp, no primer, no powder. Put it in your chamber, lightly tap it in till it sits flush. Now pull it out and measure the length. That is your maximum length that you can load with your chamber and throat. Do this every time you switch bullets."

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1.165 with 125 Blues; it is a tight fit but not compressed with 3N38 @ 172 PF.  This length has worked with all of my open guns and mags - when I do my OAL spot checks, 1.17 is the upper limit for acceptance testing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/18/2021 at 6:16 PM, Squirrel45 said:

~1.165 115 extreme  in a throated Czechmate 

Where and what specs did you use for throating the Czechmate?  I am having problems with loading Montana Gold Bullets. 

42 minutes ago, Banacek said:

Where and what specs did you use for throating the Czechmate?  I am having problems with loading Montana Gold Bullets. 

Make up some dummy rounds of the stuff you want to load and ream until you can plunk them. It only takes a few turns with the reamer…