Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A7 DQ with Video

Malarky112

I'm having trouble processing what went wrong, would like some opinions here.  I linked the youtube vid.

Stage required you use strong hand to grab the "ballot" and put it in the bucket.  

I know the tension knobs on my holster were just about as tight as I could get them by hand.  We had taken a wagon ride to get from one side of the club to the other just the stage before and I didn't want my gun falling out while sitting in the wagon so I had tightened them.  

I know I pushed my gun into my holster after make ready.  

This is a RHT holster and its never had a solid "click" like my glocks.  RHT and a few other shooters say its normal on the CZ.  

Lots of people have commented how it was a pretty dumb start for a USPSA stage, it seemed like and IDPA stage.  Only 3 shooters were DQ'd entire match so Im guessing it wasnt an issue for others.  

Im trying to figure out how to prevent it in the future, although I am guessing I won't see too many stage starts like that.  

What do you guys think?

3rd stage of my day and I won the 1st two stages that I did shoot (in my class) so I am still pretty bummed.  On the bright side I did save on ammo.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, cas said:

Looks to me like whatever was in your right cargo pocket hit it just right and knocked it out. 

Slowed down further you can see this was the issue.  Not sure if the pocket being empty would have completely eliminated the problem but I follow something I was told a long time ago.... If you don’t need it for the game,  don’t carry it at the buzzer!!  In this case looks like a phone,  leave it in the bag!!!  Sucks that it happened...

if it was a phone in the right cargo pocket, it must have been a large/heavy phone to be able to knock out (or up?) a heavy fully-loaded CZ (with mags extension?) out of the holster like that. OP, sorry that it happened to you.

My wallet was in my pocket and I can ensure you it wasn't heavy!  I did suspect it hit it but after slowing down the vid even more I think the wallet swung in front of the holster...but who knows.

2 hours ago, rowdyb said:

As the ballot required just one hand most shooters I saw drew with one hand and did the ballot with the other. 

Rowdy they required you to grab the ballot with strong hand...that was in the stage description.

It looked like the gun simply bounced out of the holster

As you’re moving after you grab the ballot, and you change direction you can see the gun start to move as you hip bumps the holster hanger as you ran the hanger bump on your hip several time until it bounced out

I will agree with the folks saying it looks like whatever was in your pocket hitting the holster plus your leg bumping the hanger.

I’ll also say that your movement on that was pretty “jumpy” and heavy especially with the gun side. I don’t think that’s a very good strategy to use when you’ve got a fully loaded metal framed CO gun in your holster. It can really get some momentum going. 

even if you buy a clamping lock for the holster or one of the holsters that come with that, I doubt you would have kept it engaged and unlocked it on the clock. And I’ve personally had a gun come out like that with retention screwed all the way down on a non locking holster during practice while unloaded. 

either draw right away or grab the ballot and move the hand with the ballot to the gun to keep it in there while you move. And plan your movement to not bump the holster and be a little lighter on your feet. 

15 hours ago, rowdyb said:

As the ballot required just one hand most shooters I saw drew with one hand and did the ballot with the other. 

Stage description said ballot (actually called widget) had to be retrieved and placed in bucket with "strong hand only"was much discussion about this on friday when I shot it.

Yep, no reason to chance things on something you can prevent as has been said. You can put your hand on the pistol to prevent it from jostling as you run but I would never trust that holster again. 

This also looks like a stupid stage. There's zero shooting test in moving the ballot with the strong hand. Had the ballot been held in the weak hand and targets placed from the start to the bucket, then that would have been at least an argument could have been made for testing the choice of going SHO or freestyle with a ballot in your paw. 

def wallet was heavy enough to bump the gun up...you can see that the gun was not completely out...but with with the movement...it equals the perfect storm.  Stage requirements are not "dumb"...this was just a bad situation that nobody could have ever predicted.  hard to say if holster is as tight as it could have been from the video.  i just check my RHT - it clicks and holds well:

@racerba stage requirements can absolutely be dumb and shooters can and have avoided returning to specific matches because of them. I'm not saying that excessive option is warranted in this case.  Heck I wasn't even there. I'm just saying there's no aspect of shooting tested in this scenario making it out of place at a shooting match and dumb. Implemented cleverly this could have been an interesting stage. 

I've done dumb things in stage design before too. In some cases I've done them despite discussion prior to doing them with feedback indicating it would be dump. This isn't meant to call out anyone or say X match is better than another. It's meant to critique an idea and offer an alternative. 

7 hours ago, racerba said:

def wallet was heavy enough to bump the gun up...you can see that the gun was not completely out...but with with the movement...it equals the perfect storm.  Stage requirements are not "dumb"...this was just a bad situation that nobody could have ever predicted.  hard to say if holster is as tight as it could have been from the video.  i just check my RHT - it clicks and holds well:

Yup mine def doesn't do that and hasn't since day one.  I even contacted RHT tactical and they said it never really clicks with a shadow, obviously yours does.  I'm not bashing on them, they're a great company and support the sport, but I think my holster needs to be redone.  I'm not 100% sure it would've helped, but it certainly couldn't have hurt.

For those saying it was a dumb stage, I obviously agree but didn't think much of it until after this happened of course.  What exactly was the purpose of saying "strong hand"?  I wonder if it was a left over stage from the LFOD IDPA Championship that was supposed to happen at the same club but was cancelled.  It originally called for curtains to be hung as well but I guess they ditched that idea.

34 minutes ago, Malarky112 said:

Yup mine def doesn't do that and hasn't since day one.  I even contacted RHT tactical and they said it never really clicks with a shadow, obviously yours does.

If you want to keep the holster, I second the comment about sticking your gun in it and heating over the trigger guard to dimple it in some more.

7 hours ago, LuvDog said:

When you contacted RHT, did you include the video?  Did they offer to take it back in exchange or to form it to fit better?

Yes I included the video and my comments about how it never really “clicked” in. 
They offered me to send it back for them to “take a look at”. 

1 hour ago, Malarky112 said:

Yes I included the video and my comments about how it never really “clicked” in. 
They offered me to send it back for them to “take a look at”. 

Quite honestly that's the kind of fix that I won't trust unless I do myself.  Your own pistol and a heat gun from the hardware store (or even a hair dryer if you're a bit patient) would have fixed it up stat.