Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A7 DQ with Video

Malarky112

18 minutes ago, blueorison said:

I really like the design, but unlocking on the clock might get clunky, more in USPSA, but also in 3G.

For 3g I have lvl2 but for USPSA I have kydex and use a thumb screw to add a little more pressure when I'm not shooting. With the cam lever I would just keep it locked down between stages and unlock before I shoot. The above issue would be the only time I would lock it at the start and unlock it during a stage.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can purchase that cam lock thing separately and will probably be able to add it to your existing holster. I've seen a link somewhere on this forum in the past for where it's sold.

I've used Blade Tech and Comp Tac holsters and neither would have a problem with the movement on that stage.

2 hours ago, blueorison said:

I really like the design, but unlocking on the clock might get clunky, more in USPSA, but also in 3G.

Pretty much all use Lvl 2 retention in 3G. If you shoot 3G, some find it a good idea to also use the same Lvl 2 in USPSA so as to have the training be homogenous.

It really doesn't slow your draw down if you train with it. You also aren't winning from a faster draw. Something to think about.

I shoot a plastic fantastic, so I just crank down my Bladetech in USPSA or 3G and it doesn't even move. 

I don't want to bash, but I am not a fan of RHT even before watching your video. Thank you for sharing your experience, I'm sorry it happened.

All you do is flip the lever to release tension. That’s pretty simple 

given that most stages don't require you to run around before drawing, a very simple reminder in the wsb to crank down your retention wouldn't have hurt anyone, would it?  i realize this is a 'big boy' sport and we can't protect against everything, but if something is out of the ordinary on a stage why not make it apparent to those that might notice?

A properly molded holster that clicks into the trigger guard and that has a way to adjust tension can be adjusted to hold your pistol in even after what happened to the OP and will not slow your draw in any appreciable way.

I'm not going to believe that having a nearly friction less holster is going to make any difference in this sport.  There's just too much else going on that has a higher weight factor on your score.

On 10/7/2020 at 10:28 AM, blueorison said:

The nice thing about the GX Vice holster is you *can* draw from a locked holster without damaging your gun or holster. It takes a sharp, determined pull, but the gun will come free.

1 minute ago, slowhands said:

The nice thing about the GX Vice holster is you *can* draw from a locked holster without damaging your gun or holster. It takes a sharp, determined pull, but the gun will come free.

Yeah, I get that you can tune it so it borderline will almost never come out, but can still be drawn if you are determined.... that's kinda how we set up our Bladetech level 1 holsters with the thumb screw when shooting 3G. I still will always recommend a level 2. 

We had shooters on our squad complain about this.  Why could I as a PCC shooter use my weak hand to grab the stupid prop and pistol shooters had to use their strong hand to grab the prop?  We complained to the MD and it was basically told it is what it is...  

Sorry you got DQed on a stupid stage at A7.  This problem should have been resolved prior to the match starting.  But at the same time, I'm not surprised it wasn't.  

I'd also suggest ditching RHT crap as it's exactly that, crap.  IMO obviously

Edited by Bdh821

4 hours ago, waktasz said:

Interested to see the WSB for this. It was only one procedural if you didn't put the thing in the thing? I wouldn't even have bothered

good catch,, yeh that was an awful lot of running around before you even got to the first shot. Looks like about 3 seconds from buzzer before he went for the gun. Definetly better off with a procedural.

Edited by Joe4d

13 hours ago, waktasz said:

Interested to see the WSB for this. It was only one procedural if you didn't put the thing in the thing? I wouldn't even have bothered

Our RO's told us it was a procedural for every shot fired if we skipped the "thing" all together.  I'm not wise to the rules as much as I should be but he said many ppl had tried to argue and lost the argument.

2 hours ago, Malarky112 said:

Our RO's told us it was a procedural for every shot fired if we skipped the "thing" all together.  I'm not wise to the rules as much as I should be but he said many ppl had tried to argue and lost the argument.

Within reason as long as the WSB spells out one per shot then it is what it is.

On 10/10/2020 at 6:30 PM, Chutist said:

Sorry you had that happen.  😐

If it's any consolation, I think myself and many here learned from it. 😉

Thanks man.  In the end thats all I can hope for and I'm happy about that.  
 If I had read/seen  something like this before the match, I might've been more conscious of it before the stage.

On 10/10/2020 at 6:54 PM, llamasabound said:

Hey OP:

here’s the funny run I described with my left hand across my body keeping it in the holster. The procedural from the ballot ejection was the difference between me and my division/class win.

https://streamable.com/k4y4m0

Ouch bro! Such a dumb thing, and to cost you the win, that hurts!  

On 10/10/2020 at 3:39 AM, Sarge said:

Within reason as long as the WSB spells out one per shot then it is what it is.

I wish I had a copy of the matchbook because I don't remember reading it in there (I know it could've changed from printing to the day of the match).  I think I'll start taking pics of the WSB's at big matches.

I think that's a goofy stage design (and I shoot IDPA, lol) but the real focus of this thread should be that your gun shouldn't be able to bounce out of your holster like that. It's not an overly-aggressive movement. Sorry that it happened to you but hopefully the outcome of this is that you're replacing that holster for something with better retention.

Have you considered the SERPA?

(...yes, I'm joking)

16 minutes ago, matteekay said:

I think that's a goofy stage design (and I shoot IDPA, lol) but the real focus of this thread should be that your gun shouldn't be able to bounce out of your holster like that. It's not an overly-aggressive movement. Sorry that it happened to you but hopefully the outcome of this is that you're replacing that holster for something with better retention.

Have you considered the SERPA?

(...yes, I'm joking)

Ahhaahahhaha

Thanks for all the laughs from your post.

Be it as it may spark a whole separate flame war; yes, there are better options vs the Serpa (like with Safariland). And yes, it is their fault for not being safe with their firearms and not training themselves correctly. 

Many of us have used Serpas without issue. Many of us also have bought better holsters.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/30/2020 at 7:47 PM, Malarky112 said:

I'm having trouble processing what went wrong, would like some opinions here.  I linked the youtube vid.

Stage required you use strong hand to grab the "ballot" and put it in the bucket.  

I know the tension knobs on my holster were just about as tight as I could get them by hand.  We had taken a wagon ride to get from one side of the club to the other just the stage before and I didn't want my gun falling out while sitting in the wagon so I had tightened them.  

I know I pushed my gun into my holster after make ready.  

This is a RHT holster and its never had a solid "click" like my glocks.  RHT and a few other shooters say its normal on the CZ.  

Lots of people have commented how it was a pretty dumb start for a USPSA stage, it seemed like and IDPA stage.  Only 3 shooters were DQ'd entire match so Im guessing it wasnt an issue for others.  

Im trying to figure out how to prevent it in the future, although I am guessing I won't see too many stage starts like that.  

What do you guys think?

3rd stage of my day and I won the 1st two stages that I did shoot (in my class) so I am still pretty bummed.  On the bright side I did save on ammo.

I shot the match as well and teetered back and forth on whether I would use the latch to secure my Everglades race holster or not. In the end I used the latch to secure it (despite it being a bit slower as I had to unlatch it after I put the ballot in the box). The thought of m6 gun doing exactly what yours did kept crossing my mind so I went with the safe / conservative route. It sucks getting DQ’d, had my first one in 4 years of USPSA a month ago. Then I finished 2nd overall the next match. Learning lesson...you’ll be fine. https://www.instagram.com/p/CHgJtM3pUwO/?igshid=1ctr0mlttsayh