Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers!

Intheshaw1

5 minutes ago, RudyVey said:

I hope, if the times get back to normal, we all remember these companies....we are having a choice where to spend our money. Definitely will not support businesses that are making major bucks now by price gouging!!

Maybe we need to pin a price gouging thread.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, Intheshaw1 said:

Maybe we need to pin a price gouging thread.

Never gonna happen here. You can’t call anybody out no matter what. Just stock up next time and ignore all these thieving companies and people.

On 12/3/2020 at 2:27 PM, matteekay said:

How are people shipping primers? I thought they had specific restrictions and most of us normies couldn't do it?

Either doing face to face, or shipping illegally like they often do guns through the mail.

Stock up when prices are low, if you shoot several calibers and gauges resource balance usage and barter what you do not use much of.

Today I traded 5k shotshell primers for 5k spp's. With what I got last year I'm set for a bit anyway.

Stocking up when prices are low for use is not hoarding as some are being accused of. 

On 12/4/2020 at 2:04 PM, Sarge said:

Never gonna happen here. You can’t call anybody out no matter what. Just stock up next time and ignore all these thieving companies and people.

So true. There are companies out there (I won't name them) that I still refuse to do business with over how they operated during the last shortage.

• 5 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Andy9 said:

I came accross a company on the WWW that looks new and they are taking "pre-orders" for Unis Ginex Small Pistol Primers. The Price is mostly fair.

the site is www.trifusiontactical.com 

Has anyone heard of them? I just cant afford to be out the cash with no product, like most people.

8 cents a pop? no thanks.  Also, need to be careful of new companies sprouting up promising things that need to prepay.  they might be using the deposits to use as capitol to buy the product.   anyone can make a flashy web site

57 minutes ago, TheHooter said:

A friend of mine went to a gun auction in OK, and I told him to bid on some LPPs for me. I was willing to spend  up to $90/k, they went for $350/k. I could not freaking believe it. 

Holy $+@#&_*%£×*\÷_+!!!

8 hours ago, Andy9 said:

I came accross a company on the WWW that looks new and they are taking "pre-orders" for Unis Ginex Small Pistol Primers. The Price is mostly fair.

the site is www.trifusiontactical.com 

Has anyone heard of them? I just cant afford to be out the cash with no product, like most people.

Their math seems to be a bit fishy.  For Small Rifle primers they claim "AS LOW AS $0.07 PER ROUND ", but the lowest I could find was 100,000 primers for $0.008 per, or $8,000.00.  

Hmmm, no thanks!

Edited by Ming the Merciless

4 hours ago, wgj3 said:

Holy $+@#&_*%£×*\÷_+!!!

Yep...the auction was this past Saturday (1/16). I’ve had good luck in the past buying guns at this auction at reasonable prices but I couldn’t believe how much the primers went for. If anyone’s interested, this is the auctioneer:

https://www.branchauctions.com

10 hours ago, Ming the Merciless said:

Their math seems to be a bit fishy.  For Small Rifle primers they claim "AS LOW AS $0.07 PER ROUND ", but the lowest I could find was 100,000 primers for $0.008 per, or $8,000.00.  

Hmmm, no thanks!

When a year ago 1k primers were $33.00, and now for the price to be a little more than double, sucks. If your sitting on 50 thousand of them, than you may be able to wait it out. But if you have 6 months worth......... what do you do???

3 hours ago, Andy9 said:

When a year ago 1k primers were $33.00, and now for the price to be a little more than double, sucks. If your sitting on 50 thousand of them, than you may be able to wait it out. But if you have 6 months worth......... what do you do???

Archery?

In all seriousness, I dunno. But I might have to figure that out sooner rather than later.

2 minutes ago, matteekay said:

Archery?

In all seriousness, I dunno. But I might have to figure that out sooner rather than later.

Archery is what i am doing.  The past few years I've switched back and forth between archery and uspsa anyway,  so it wasn't a big deal for me 

I shot my last two matches using my rimfire pistol and rifle.  I will shoot some selected SC matches with my PCC but for the small local matches I will be using my 22's....I have a couple of the 550 rd. milk carton packs that are about 97% reliable....Better than taking up fishing again.....  

8 hours ago, matteekay said:

Archery?

This is what I did in the 2012 shortages. Got out of the army the year before so didn't have a stockpile and ended up taking up bow hunting. But I've learned from that and I'm pretty well off right now but still keep my eyes open.

perhaps if we all start discussing how to refill primers,

we can embarrass the primer companies into providing them

after all, if we learn to make good primers, we will quit buying them...

the only reason I am not learning to make h-48 priming compound

is that I don't know how to properly clean the residue...

such arcane knowledge you see.

miranda

Well there is always Hatcher's Notebook....  link to 2 minute video on H-48.

Antimony sulfide

Ground glass

Sulfur

Baking soda

Potassium Chlorate (per the video, this is the dangerous additive)

After watching another video about manually putting the primer compound (which was in a paste form) into the actual primer cups, this is not a part-time reloader task.  The humidity in the reinforced assembly room was above 90-some percent to prevent static electricity detonation.  If there was an approaching thunderstorm, they shut down operations.

BC

Edited by BillChunn

Interesting Development - Powder Valley has removed all primers from their website. I called and after a short hold time the very polite CSR told me that when they have stock - the primers in stock will appear. She said their website was struggling to manage all of the views and this way it will reduce some of the “refresh” traffic.... I am also betting there are some folks that have software programs that refresh their primer search page every 5-10 seconds looking for inventory to drop.....

yow...  I had not considered setting up a program to continuously ping a vendor for an item...

I do consider it rude to do such a thing.

and there is a reward for anyone who does so, they get the item.

email notification/reserve may be the only reasonable option.

tis a pain in the backside for all involved.

miranda

I would bet those who use software are buying to re-sell.

I checked my email and it was only 16 months ago that federal was giving rebates on primers, I talked to a rep at the 2018 Shot Show and he mentioned they were gearing up primer production from a shortage in the Obama years.  And then a year later they were having to dump them. Wonder what will happen to demand going forward given the current administration...

From that low and with the rebate, prices have doubled.  And currently everyone is out-of-stock up here but only as of a few weeks ago.

A friend just ordered a a press and has begun the search for the unobtainable.  I let him know about Trifusion's Unis Genix offering.  With only a handful of primers in his inventory, he & I decided to order 1K each of SRP & SPP.  About 10 minutes after placing the order (we combined to save on shipping and potential Hazmat costs) I received a call from their Customer Support.  I was an few minutes late on ordering SRP, for which they apologized. We chose to switch the order to all SPP so we'll be receiving 2K each, instead of getting 1K each SPP right now and waiting until April or May for the SRP to arrive.  Neither of us wanted to commit to a large number of unknown (to us) primers and the higher cost is a factor, too, which is why we only went with a sample size order.

They have another shipment coming in late spring and offered to fill the SRP at that time.  Their pricing may come down a bit for the upcoming shipment is the gist of the conversation with Trifusuion's CSR.  For those of us that just started reloading this year, there aren't many options for components, so a high cost for now from a reputable vendor versus those private sellers that are looking to obscenely profit from the shortage is preferable.  I'm as much of a capitalist as anyone, but there is a distinction between acceptable mark-ups and outrageous pricing.

Their quick response and offering options was greatly appreciated and I am hopeful that the rest of the transaction goes as professionally as what happened today.  One can only imagine the amount of time, effort, paperwork and hoopla to obtain permits they must have gone through in order import these primers.  Maybe a little foreign competition will help spur American suppliers to up their game a bit if there is anything that they can do to increase production.