Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Minor

HCH

7 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

a) nobody wants limited minor except little girls.

b) it doesn’t solve any problem. there is no problem with limited.

c) more divisions are bad. there are already way too many.

A.  You are in denial or just dishonest.  More people want limited minor than single stack or production

B.  I can quote you at least 100 times saying minor is not competitive in limited

C.  If we add one division, you will still have a spare toe or two left for counting

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

I wasn't advocating changing the rules.  Just suggesting that having everyone shoot major would be better than changing the scoring.  And if you can't tell the difference between 9 and 40 in a 2011, maybe you need to chrono your loads.  As for a division most people want, sure.  Most of the complaints are about too many divisions already and stupid rule changes.  Kinda like what you're suggesting now.

You are just changing the preferred round from 40 lite to 9 major by allowing 9 major.  It does nothing better and nothing to address the complaint that minor isn't competitive or the growing requests/demand for a standalone limited minor division.

I can tell a difference between minor and major in any gun...but the difference is not "significant" or worth an extra point for Cs and Ds.  If major was factory .40 or .45 then it might be more noticeable...but not "significant"...165 pf in a 2011 is a powder puff.  Going from 9mm to 10mm or 357/44 magnum is when it becomes significant in my opinion.

7 hours ago, Superkaratemonkeyfighter said:

I think the broad majority of shooters would agree Limited doesn’t need to be changed , looked at , or improved. 
there nothing wrong with it. 

I felt that way about Production 4 years ago and look at it now.....

8 hours ago, Jeff226 said:

More people want limited minor than single stack or production

You're relying on match participation numbers to say this, but we've already been over why you can't do that. Limited Minor participation is almost exclusively beginners who didn't bring enough magazines to shoot Production, full stop.

It's important to cater to beginners, but not to the extent of changing the rules. Not every golf hole is a 60-yard par three. Go is played on a 17x17 board, even if a 9x9 board is way easier for a beginner to play on. There are race cars faster than amusement park go-karts.

On 6/14/2020 at 5:37 AM, Brooke said:

Anyway I can tell you there is nothing like shooting a 2011 custom gun. They are usually expensive but who the hell cares. They are fun fun fun. Go there and never come back to a mundane platform again.

I totally disagree with you. I shot an STI Eagle, and then had a custom SVI Sight tracker built for me by SVI and I’d rather shoot my Glock any day of the week. It feels better in my hand, and I actually shoot better with the Glock. And I never have to care about dropping my $150 custom tuned mags in the mud because it’s raining on match day. 

Don’t get me wrong, I’m NOT saying my Glock is better than my SVI, not even close. The SVI is a beauty and a work of art. I hope one day my kids enjoy it when they inherit it. But I’m more comfortable shooting a Glock, and for me it’s all about FUN. 

I'm going to be shooting production but it really seems to be hurting right now. I shot limited major some years ago with an STI Edge. I don't see an issue with limited as it currently sits but I do wish production would up the capacity to 15 like IPSC. The lower capacity divisions (revo, SS, production) seem to be struggling the most. 

It seems these three divisions come with the greatest handicap and require a lot more diligence, skill, consistency and stage planning. Equipment/gun is still important but less so than other divisions. 

11 hours ago, Jeff226 said:

A.  You are in denial or just dishonest.  More people want limited minor than single stack or production

nope. sure, lots of noobs sign up for limited minor when just learning the sport because that's what they have. that's not the same as 'wanting' limited minor.

This thread is a dumpster fire. 

Adding divisions and diluting the rule set and equipment is NOT healthy for an amateur competitive sport. Period. "All inclusive" is not what makes an organized sport attractive. 

A lot of sports have somewhat arbitrary rules that you have to abide by. This is no different. If you want to shoot an iron sighted 2011 in USPSA and be competitive, you shoot .40. 

"Well I want to shoot a new fancy 2011, but .40 is stupid!?!"  

Sorry, this isn't BK. You can't "have it your way". Handicap yourself in Limited or find another division. 

I'm really over this whole "we need to have a spot for everyone and what they want to shoot" idea.

Stop it. That's not now competitive sports work, and that's not what makes them attractive to COMPETITORS. 

Edited by Ssanders224

4 minutes ago, Ssanders224 said:

Adding divisions and diluting the rule set and equipment is NOT healthy for an amateur competitive sport. Period. "All inclusive" is not what makes a sport attractive. 

A lot of sports have somewhat arbitrary rules that you have to abide by. This is no different. If you want to shoot an iron sighted 2011 in USPSA and be competitive, you shoot .40. 

"Well I want to shoot a new fancy 2011, but .40 is stupid!?!"  

Sorry, this isn't BK. You can't "have it your way". Handicap yourself in Limited or find another division. 

I'm kind of over this whole "we need to have a spot for everyone and what they want to shoot" stuff.

Stop it. That's not now competitive sports work, and that's not what makes them attractive to COMPETITORS. 

tenor.gif?itemid=12916521

1 hour ago, Ssanders224 said:

I'm really over this whole "we need to have a spot for everyone and what they want to shoot" idea.

I totally agree about the dumpster fire. 

But, we do have a place for everyone to shoot what they want. There are VERY few guns that wouldn’t fit into one of the existing divisions.  So everyone can come and play. You just might not win, so you need to learn to deal with that. 

I remember my first ever IDPA match many, many years ago. It was the only match going on that weekend and I wanted to shoot. I brought my Production rig and showed them what I brung and told them to put me in whatever division it fit into. They were trying to explain all the rule differences between USPSA and IDPA, when they were done I said look, I promise I’ll be safe. As for all the other rules, I’m going to shoot each stage however I want. Feel free to asses penalties as I acquire them. And they did. By the end of the match, I was RO’ing other shooters because they needed the help. I had fun, and I didn’t win, or get any trophies. 

5 minutes ago, Cuz said:

I totally agree about the dumpster fire. 

But, we do have a place for everyone to shoot what they want. There are VERY few guns that wouldn’t fit into one of the existing divisions.  So everyone can come and play. You just might not win, so you need to learn to deal with that. 

That is exactly the point.... Kind of. 

It really doesn't matter how many guns exist that don't fit perfectly into a USPSA division. That should have little bearing on the division requirements themselves. 

Sure... Slowly, over time, divisions may need to be modified slightlyk to include or preclude certain types of equipment, modifications, accessories, etc, but it should not be frequent. 

Cooper's major founding principle to create what became IPSC was "All pistols compete together equally so we can find out what works best (btw: it's the 1911 in .45 ACP)". 

Times have changed.   Pretty soon we'll have a dozen fishponds.

3 hours ago, Fishbreath said:

You're relying on match participation numbers to say this, but we've already been over why you can't do that. Limited Minor participation is almost exclusively beginners who didn't bring enough magazines to shoot Production, full stop.

3 hours ago, motosapiens said:

nope. sure, lots of noobs sign up for limited minor when just learning the sport because that's what they have. that's not the same as 'wanting' limited minor.

Then who is buying all of these 9mm 2011s and CZ TSOs in 9mm? 

Who are these people constantly trying to change production into limited minor?  It certainly isn't noobs who never shot production.

8 minutes ago, Jeff226 said:

Who are these people constantly trying to change production into limited minor?  It certainly isn't noobs who never shot production.

It certainly isn't top-level GM's.

It appears it's people who bought the wrong gun and now want to change the game to fit them

12 minutes ago, Jeff226 said:

3 gunners and other people who just want to plink rather than compete seriously. It certainly isn't good, competitive pistol shooters.

Probably shooters that have little interest in competing.  IIRC CZ sells more Shadow 2s in a year than there are USPSA members total, but there are no floods of new shooters toting shiny new Shadow 2s with the price tags still on them.

A visit to SHOT will show just how tiny a backwater USPSA is in the vast ocean of shooting.

1 hour ago, shred said:

Probably shooters that have little interest in competing.  IIRC CZ sells more Shadow 2s in a year than there are USPSA members total, but there are no floods of new shooters toting shiny new Shadow 2s with the price tags still on them.

A visit to SHOT will show just how tiny a backwater USPSA is in the vast ocean of shooting.

You are right, there isn't a flood of "new" shooters showing up with new CZs...which was my point.  There are however many people shooting new CZs and 2011s in limited minor.  Many of them are  A and above so it would be hard to prove they all have little interest in competing if the investment alone wasn't sufficient evidence.  This runs counter to the assertion by some that limited minor is predominantly noobs without enough magazines.  

1 hour ago, RJH said:

It certainly isn't top-level GM's.

It appears it's people who bought the wrong gun and now want to change the game to fit them

If they bought a gun that fits the existing rules for a limited gun...how did they buy the wrong gun?

2 minutes ago, Jeff226 said:

If they bought a gun that fits the existing rules for a limited gun...how did they buy the wrong gun?

This is a silly question. Other than PCC all guns fit in open division, but if you bought a single stack to shoot in open division, you bought the wrong gun. If you buy 9 mm to shoot in limited division, you probably bought the wrong gun. If people can't figure that out they deserve what they get LOL

Just now, RJH said:

This is a silly question. Other than PCC all guns fit in open division, but if you bought a single stack to shoot in open division, you bought the wrong gun. If you buy 9 mm to shoot in limited division, you probably bought the wrong gun. If people can't figure that out they deserve what they get LOL

Nobody was talking about buying a single stack to compete in limited...what a stupid point.  Thread is called "limited minor" not "which single stack for limited"

If the rules have choices for power factor, and one power factor is always the "wrong" choice, then why pretend there are choices?  

3 minutes ago, Jeff226 said:

Nobody was talking about buying a single stack to compete in limited...what a stupid point.  Thread is called "limited minor" not "which single stack for limited"

If the rules have choices for power factor, and one power factor is always the "wrong" choice, then why pretend there are choices?  

You mean those rules that favor power factor in divisions like open, limited 10, revolver....

Nobody pretends there's a choice, everyone knows there's a right answer and a wrong answer. There's just a few that want to change the rules to suit them to do what they want instead of buying the gun that fits within and takes advantage of the rules, or shooting a division that their gun is better suited to. So yes you can buy the wrong gun even if it still fits in the division

PS don't get your panties in a wad because you asked a silly question LOL

12 minutes ago, Jeff226 said:

limited minor and single stack for limited are equally stupid ideas. There are many different ways to be wrong.