Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Minor

HCH

I was shooting a match today and noticed that we had quite a few Limited Minor shooters. One guy on my squad was shooting a G17 and another was shooting an X5 Legion. Both of them are fairly experienced shooters. 

I don’t understand why anyone would shoot a minor gun in limited since we have CO as a large, growing division. 

Thoughts? How does the Major/Minor split in Limited look in your part of the world? Is there a good reason to shoot Limited Minor at all, when a guy has a CO legal gun?

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some may not like optics (cost, reliability, ability to pick up the dot quickly).  i almost always shoot my iron -sighted guns better than those with dots.  also, limited allows a little more flexibility in gear position.

I only reload and shoot 9mm, same load for Lim, Prod, PCC, and SS.  Can't say that my placement within each is any different than when I shot major and at my age (74) I'm not in it to win it.

I get the gear position thing (kinda)

i shoot 3gun too. I run one of my .40 pistols with minor ammo when I shoot it. I’m usually a few rounds short in a 140, but I make due. 

If a guy is solely focused on shooting USPSA Limited, I really don’t know why anyone would choose to shoot minor. 

My son (3 matches under his belt) is currently running Lim Minor until he gets more comfortable with stages/safety and then will move to Production.  He is not going to be competitive in either division for a while so might as well let him start with about half the mag change issues.

First outdoor match in our club in months. Seven Limited shooters and all seven shot Lim Minor. My perception is that they do not want to shoot CO, but do not want to mess with mag changes in Production. One guy was shooting a CZ TSO in 9mm so must like Lim Minor.

We have a large contingent of Limited Minor with most of our new folks as they have 9’s and want to use full mags. They understand the advantage of major,but just don’t care about the advantages of major, mostly due to cost of ammo,etc.

That being said it is interesting watching Production die out,as CO and PCC continue to grow.

1 hour ago, mwx40x40 said:

We have a large contingent of Limited Minor with most of our new folks as they have 9’s and want to use full mags. They understand the advantage of major,but just don’t care about the advantages of major, mostly due to cost of ammo,etc.

That being said it is interesting watching Production die out,as CO and PCC continue to grow.

That’s what I see a lot of as well. I just wonder why guys take the hit on minor scoring in Limited rather than slapping a dot on their plastic gun. 

I shoot limited minor mainly because it's cheaper and I don't want to change out my gear from 3 gun. Right now I'm not in it to win it, just want to have slightly more cost effective fun and don't want to reload every 2 steps.

I did finally start reloading this past year so the cost difference is a whole lot less so once I get set up to reload 40 I'll pick up another belt for my limited major rig. I'm thinking a lot of new shooters are running 9mm guns and don't have a ton of mags so it's just easier to go limited minor.

Lots of people want to try out the larger mag limits but don't have a 40 and don't want to spring for one right off.Carry Optics is not a simple replacement for them because in many cases it means milling a slide and investing in an optic. Optics for slide ride are awful I went through two DPP Pros and a RTS2 in three months on a milled Shadow and quit CO forever. I was stuck with a milled slide that I eventually gave away. Some people hate dots and don't feel its really shooting  

Limited minor is a losers game. You start at something like a 20% disadvantage to major.. IMHO is if USPSA split Limited minor and major into two divisions Production would soon disappear.

Anyway I can tell you there is nothing like shooting a 2011 custom gun. They are usually expensive but who the hell cares. They are fun fun fun. Go there and never come back to a mundane platform again.

8 hours ago, HCH said:

That’s what I see a lot of as well. I just wonder why guys take the hit on minor scoring in Limited rather than slapping a dot on their plastic gun. 

Not everyone wants to shoot with a dot...

I'm a Super Senior with classifications in Open, Limited, Limited 10, Revolver, and now PCC.  I've sold all of my competition pistols but have a HK VP9 I like to shoot.  I would enter in Limited Minor so I can use my existing gear and not worry about how I finish.  

I reviewed the last match results of a club about two hours away. 25 Limited shooters and 16 of them shot minor. (13 out of about 60 shot Production).

I reviewed the last match results from a club about an hour away. 15 Limited shooters and 13 of them shot minor. (2 out of about 26 shot Production).

Looks like lots of newer shooters, as noted by several of us, don't want to put a dot on, don't want to reload, nor mess with .40.

At local matches I don't think most people really care about the major scoring advantage. Competitive shooters that spend the time to train perceive shooting Lim Minor completely differently from the rank and file. I was in a local gun store with a friend that is highly competitive and that trains a lot. Someone was looking at a Staccato XL (9mm) for $3400. That person heard us talking about a match and asked us about competition. My friend highly advised against getting the Staccato XL because "Limited Minor . . ." I only mentioned that if you become serious about USPSA you will likely get a gun in major at some point, but you can get good with any gun that you like to shoot that is dependable. . . . I guess my reflection would be that until people get more serious about purchasing reloading equipment and training a lot--it just doesn't matter.

If you are really good Lim minor is not a disadvantage.  Yes, you get docked for a couple Cs, but your splits are faster so it evens out.  The split is generally 60/40 around here, with the 60 being major.

That being said, if you are going to buy a gun to shoot Limited, but a 40sw.  Load it to 172 PF for USPSA and 140-144 PF for steel challenge.  They will shoot to the same POI with the same recoil spring.

4 hours ago, zzt said:

If you are really good Lim minor is not a disadvantage.

If that’s the case, why do all the top contenders shoot Major?

Even when Coley won shooting a Glock, it was Major. 

Edited by HCH

Major is an advantage, but not 20% like someone posted. Use the competitor app and change yourself to major or minor. Most people I've done it with see 5 to 8% change from 9mm minor to major. That button click doesn't factor the 2 or 3 less rounds or higher recoil. 

I've seen people make GM shooting minor because if you aren't shooting alphas then it doesn't really matter on the classifiers.

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 5:28 PM, aandabooks said:

My son (3 matches under his belt) is currently running Lim Minor until he gets more comfortable with stages/safety and then will move to Production.  He is not going to be competitive in either division for a while so might as well let him start with about half the mag change issues.

Great idea and I can't wait to do the same thing with my kiddo!!

52 minutes ago, ziebart said:

Major is an advantage, but not 20% like someone posted. Use the competitor app and change yourself to major or minor. Most people I've done it with see 5 to 8% change from 9mm minor to major. That button click doesn't factor the 2 or 3 less rounds or higher recoil. 

I've seen people make GM shooting minor because if you aren't shooting alphas then it doesn't really matter on the classifiers.

This^^^^^