Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 1050, worth the investment?

chgofirefighter

I want to thank everyone who contributed to my post. I went ahead and returned the 750 and got me the 1050 for one awesome price of $1600, discounted from a Dillon directly. After doing all the math on my 750, with the extras accessories, mods, etc etc I was already at $1500+  so I figured why not go all the way and get the 1050 instead? So it was done! 

Thank you guys for helping me make the right decision.  

57 minutes ago, chgofirefighter said:

I want to thank everyone who contributed to my post. I went ahead and returned the 750 and got me the 1050 for one awesome price of $1600, discounted from a Dillon directly. After doing all the math on my 750, with the extras accessories, mods, etc etc I was already at $1500+  so I figured why not go all the way and get the 1050 instead? So it was done! 

Oh no! You made the wrong choice!! You should have....blah blah yadda yadda etc.😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

16 hours ago, chgofirefighter said:

Yes!!!! Congrats and have fun reloading.

Edited by George16

Congratulations!  you made the right choice.  Yes, the caliber conversions do kind of suck, but be patient and swap it over when or if you ever need to.  Generally, what I try to do is load up a large supply of the what ever the press is setup on currently before switching.  That way I won't have to switch back anytime soon.

A buddy of mine on here told me he giggled the first time he loaded ammo on his.  I can say, that I did too.  I have never regretted buying my 1050.

forget about the 1 year warranty.  I have yet to replace any broken parts on mine.  That day will come and I will pay for it and keep making ammo.

Hi guys, well I purchased a new Dillon 750, which sadlly came defective from factory.  The base mount was missing a hole that wasn't drilled or QC from factory, had to drill the hole out myself in order to secure the mount.  Anyway, I contacted Dillon and they're offering me to trade up to a 1050 instead with an out of pocket expense of around $706 So should I do it? Or?  Lastly, I was also informed that the 1050 only carries 1 year warranty, while all others is lifetime no bs warranty... I mean seriously???  I do believe the 1050 is considered a commerical press... But I don't know for sure...

So yay or nay?  
please do it! I bought one recently from a user on here. still have my 650 but the 1050 is a Cadillac. So robust and sturdy. ive dedicated mine to small primer calibers only. Currently only loading 40 major for it. Get a bullet feeder and you're golden

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, Rnlinebacker said:

please do it! I bought one recently from a user on here. still have my 650 but the 1050 is a Cadillac. So robust and sturdy. ive dedicated mine to small primer calibers only. Currently only loading 40 major for it. Get a bullet feeder and you're golden

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

How steep was the learning curve coming From a 650.? I currently have a 650 with a bullet feeder. Over 100K rounds loaded. I understand the machine inside and out. Looking to make the step up with plans to automate after I get a 1050 or 1100 tuned

58 minutes ago, Balakay said:

How steep was the learning curve coming From a 650.? I currently have a 650 with a bullet feeder. Over 100K rounds loaded. I understand the machine inside and out. Looking to make the step up with plans to automate after I get a 1050 or 1100 tuned

Surprisingly quicker than i thought. You're just adding a couple more stations operationally. The operation is very smooth and just feels way better compared to the 650. The one thing that was a little foreign was priming on the downstroke. I can load so much faster than my 650. Also, once you get the primer pocket swager set say goodbye to crimped primer pockets being a nuisance. You will annihilate them lol

On 11/7/2019 at 12:49 PM, Rnlinebacker said:

Also, once you get the primer pocket swager set say goodbye to crimped primer pockets being a nuisance. You will annihilate them lol

If you're not automating, this is the main reason to get a 1050. I've used almost every press there is and Every. Single. One. of them has either cumbersome or troublesome priming issues either from poor design or no pocket swaging. The 1050 suffers from neither of these problems.

After loading tens of thousands of 9mm and .45acp on a 550 I bought a used 1050 (that had been used commercially for years) and added the Mr. Bullet Feeder.  The machine is awesome! It's definitely more complex than the 550/650 but still easy to learn and maintain.  I'd suggest you not worry about the warranty at all.  I didn't get a warranty on my used one and after 2 years and probably 25K rounds, I haven't needed it.  But, even if you do have a problem, Dillon parts are reasonably priced and if you call them and tell them what's happening they'll walk you through everything you need at no charge.  So, you're getting everything you'd get under the no BS warranty except you're paying a few bucks for whatever parts you may need.  Get the 1050 and you'll never look back!

How many calibers do you plan to load for? 

Changing calibers on a 1050 is a pain in the ass and expensive.

I had two 650s ended up selling one when I got a 1050, ended up buying five 1050s and selling the 650.

I like having a machine set up for each of the main calibers I use.

8 hours ago, bret said:

I had two 650s ended up selling one when I got a 1050, ended up buying five 1050s and selling the 650.

I like having a machine set up for each of the main calibers I use.

I guess that's one way to deal with the issue of changing calibers. 

I'm going to end up going straight to the 1050 when I can find a good deal on one. Was thinking about adding a 550 later for calibers I don't use often but I like your idea of a fleet of 1050s.

On 11/6/2019 at 12:46 PM, Jim Watson said:

How about the primer feed?  Getting the primer feed adjusted on that machine when new was a challenge.  I don't think I want to go through that on a regular schedule.

Are you writing about the 1050?

I found the primer system was extremely easy to both set up and run, especially compared to the old 650 rotary feed. Basically I just feed a mag full of primers, added extra weight to the rod and it just works. Also very easy to switch from small to large.

Love my 1050, glad the OP purchased one. 

The 1050 is capable of 1200 9mm rounds/hour. My arm isn't. The worst thing about the 1050 is that you will end up spending another $3000 on a Mark seven auto drive, like me. 🙂 

I think, because of the swaging station, the 1050 is the only Dillon press worth automating. Never regretted either purchase.

On 11/14/2019 at 2:12 PM, tomv said:

The 1050 is capable of 1200 9mm rounds/hour. My arm isn't. The worst thing about the 1050 is that you will end up spending another $3000 on a Mark seven auto drive, like me. 🙂 

I think, because of the swaging station, the 1050 is the only Dillon press worth automating. Never regretted either purchase.

I ended up purchasing the 1050 :) because I plan to turn her into an auto drive... What a sweet machine!  

I wish I had gone with a 1050 over the 650. I’ve been loading up on a 650 for about 3 years now and while I like it very much (way better than the LNL I was using prior), what I miss is a built in swager. It always sucks when you miss a piece of crimped brass and start priming it on a 650, eventually I’ll upgrade.