Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 1050, worth the investment?

chgofirefighter

Hi guys, well I purchased a new Dillon 750, which sadlly came defective from factory.  The base mount was missing a hole that wasn't drilled or QC from factory, had to drill the hole out myself in order to secure the mount.  Anyway, I contacted Dillon and they're offering me to trade up to a 1050 instead with an out of pocket expense of around $706 So should I do it? Or?  Lastly, I was also informed that the 1050 only carries 1 year warranty, while all others is lifetime no bs warranty... I mean seriously???  I do believe the 1050 is considered a commerical press... But I don't know for sure...

So yay or nay?  

I loaded for a several years on a 650. Got to the point where I was loading and shooting 15k+ per year. At that rate I was spending a bunch of time reloading, which is not something i particularly cared for. Finally I upgraded to the 1050. And then not long after added an ammobot. I could not be happier. At high volumes like that you will never regret upgrading. If you LPD various calibers at much lower volume then you will probably prefer the 650/750 for ease (and cheaper cost) of caliber swap. Even before I went the automated route I was very impressed with the 1050s ability to hammer out ammo quicker and more reliably than the 650.

The 1050 is built like a tank. If you get it and run it for long enough to determine that it didn’t come from the factory with any defects, it will crank out thousands upon thousands of rounds without major issue. The difference in warranty did not give me pause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

21 minutes ago, m700 said:

If its your only press and you plan on loading a ton of different rounds it will get very expensive for conversions kits

If you are only loading a few different rounds go for it.

Going to be dedicated to 9mm only~  well, atleast for now~ Like the fact that it can be fully automated down the line which is a great feature 

18 minutes ago, shooterDrew said:

I loaded for a several years on a 650. Got to the point where I was loading and shooting 15k+ per year. At that rate I was spending a bunch of time reloading, which is not something i particularly cared for. Finally I upgraded to the 1050. And then not long after added an ammobot. I could not be happier. At high volumes like that you will never regret upgrading. If you LPD various calibers at much lower volume then you will probably prefer the 650/750 for ease (and cheaper cost) of caliber swap. Even before I went the automated route I was very impressed with the 1050s ability to hammer out ammo quicker and more reliably than the 650.

The 1050 is built like a tank. If you get it and run it for long enough to determine that it didn’t come from the factory with any defects, it will crank out thousands upon thousands of rounds without major issue. The difference in warranty did not give me pause.

Yes, they're built like a tank and I'm just using it for personal use not commercial...  I do believe you need to be an FFL to load ammo, but I'm not sure...  I should be ok!  

I picked a 1050 over a 650 as my second matching because of the primer pocket swage station. I came from a 550 and wanted to increase production rate without the need to add case prep (ream primer pockets) on 9mm brass.

I'm loading 9mm and 40S&W to fuel my USPSA and other action shooting hobbies. The 550 loads my smaller quantity ammo.

Anything that has needed to be replaced on my 1050 is pennies on the dollar really. Primer tube caps and some retaining clips. That's about it.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Yes, they're built like a tank and I'm just using it for personal use not commercial...  I do believe you need to be an FFL to load ammo, but I'm not sure...  I should be ok!  

Yea there’s a lot to be considered if loading commercially. For personal you will be able to load much more than you’ll shoot on the 1050 before it is worn out. And if you decide to automate it you’ll be in heaven!

33 minutes ago, shooterDrew said:

Yea there’s a lot to be considered if loading commercially. For personal you will be able to load much more than you’ll shoot on the 1050 before it is worn out. And if you decide to automate it you’ll be in heaven!

So to change calibers on the 1050 is that an expensive endevour?  Or it's better to stick to 1 caliber and use the other press for other caliber exchange? 

I just went for a 1050 after 5 years of loading on a 550b - if you are going to load one calibre, I absolutely recommend that you go for it.
If you get to keep the 750, then you can use that for a calibre of which you load less...

Seriously though, there is no comparison between the 750 and the 1050. Stuff the warranty worries.

36 minutes ago, chgofirefighter said:

So to change calibers on the 1050 is that an expensive endevour?  Or it's better to stick to 1 caliber and use the other press for other caliber exchange? 

https://www.dillonprecision.com/super-1050-quick-change_8_2_23878.html

https://www.dillonprecision.com/super-1050-caliber-conversion-kit_8_2_25241.html

about 425 a caliber not too bad But if you had to buy for 10 or 20 different calibers a second press like a 550 or 650 would be cheaper in the long run.

8 minutes ago, George16 said:

Get the 1050.

Brother I am on the fence...  Almost about the jump the fence to the dark side and I may not even look back. I just have to take the 750 apart repackage it and send it back for a full refund.  Luckily I don't have to pay to return the press so that's a good thing... It's just a minor inconvenience that's all 

Just now, chgofirefighter said:

Brother I am on the fence...  Almost about the jump the fence to the dark side and I may not even look back. I just have to take the 750 apart repackage it and send it back for a full refund.  Luckily I don't have to pay to return the press so that's a good thing... It's just a minor inconvenience that's all 

I’m sorry you have to do all that because the QC personnel made a mistake. How were you able to find out about the problem? I know you said you were able to reload a couple of hundred of rounds before already.

Get the 1050! 

I started shooting uspsa with a 550b and used that to load for 6 years. I have no idea how many rounds I loaded on it, easily 100k or more. After I really stepped up my shooting and got busier with life I decided to buy a 650 with a case feeder and bullet feeder and instantly regretted waiting so long, it was a huge difference. Then I took the plunge into open with 9major and decided I wanted the swagger and primer seater system to dial in my loads. I picked up a 1050 and all I can say is WOW!

When I started I read all the posts about just buy the 1050 and always rationalized not spending the money but now that I took the journey through all 3, I really wish I could go back and listen in the first place. 

13 minutes ago, Th3Un4givin said:

Get the 1050! 

I started shooting uspsa with a 550b and used that to load for 6 years. I have no idea how many rounds I loaded on it, easily 100k or more. After I really stepped up my shooting and got busier with life I decided to buy a 650 with a case feeder and bullet feeder and instantly regretted waiting so long, it was a huge difference. Then I took the plunge into open with 9major and decided I wanted the swagger and primer seater system to dial in my loads. I picked up a 1050 and all I can say is WOW!

When I started I read all the posts about just buy the 1050 and always rationalized not spending the money but now that I took the journey through all 3, I really wish I could go back and listen in the first place. 

Thanks and that's exactly what I want to avoid, is regrets...  The 750 is a fine machine don't get me wrong but the 1050 is on another level

9 hours ago, George16 said:

I’m sorry you have to do all that because the QC personnel made a mistake. How were you able to find out about the problem? I know you said you were able to reload a couple of hundred of rounds before already.

My friend who happens to be a  

gunsmith also a competitive shooter noticed it right away when he was assisting me with the press setup. He was able to complete the missing hole. It actually had 3 completed holes and 1 was not completed. He used a drilled bit, and was able to complete the hole opening. Thus making it operational. I contacted Dillon and they said that apparently while the Press was being powder coated it most likely covered one of the base holes by the automated process.  But that’s not the case. Due to the fact that Base metal had to be drilled out in order to resolve the issue. Metal shavings did come out! Sadly, Dillon used a bunch of excuses and no real solutions. They asked me to contact the vendor directly to deal with the problem. I was a bit shocked due to the fact that this press has a no bs lifetime warranty! Or so they claim... this is my first experience with Dillon and it wasn’t a pleasant one.   Tried to upload a photo on this forum but it won’t allow me to do so... 

😩

2 hours ago, chgofirefighter said:

My friend who happens to be a  

gunsmith also a competitive shooter noticed it right away when he was assisting me with the press setup. He was able to complete the missing hole. It actually had 3 completed holes and 1 was not completed. He used a drilled bit, and was able to complete the hole opening. Thus making it operational. I contacted Dillon and they said that apparently while the Press was being powder coated it most likely covered one of the base holes by the automated process.  But that’s not the case. Due to the fact that Base metal had to be drilled out in order to resolve the issue. Metal shavings did come out! Sadly, Dillon used a bunch of excuses and no real solutions. They asked me to contact the vendor directly to deal with the problem. I was a bit shocked due to the fact that this press has a no bs lifetime warranty! Or so they claim... this is my first experience with Dillon and it wasn’t a pleasant one.   Tried to upload a photo on this forum but it won’t allow me to do so... 

😩

That’s shocking to hear Dillon say the 750 doesn’t have the lifetime no B.S. warranty when it was advertised as such and it’s even emblazoned on the box itself. You should have taken the persons name and asked for a supervisor since he/she was giving you a bunch of bs but not the lifetime bs warranty itself 😆

That’s very unDillon like since all of my dealing with them had been positive whenever I call and ask for assistance for any problems associated with either of my Dillon Reloading machines.

Im glad they offered you a chance to trade up though which is the right way since it was their mistake in the first place anyway. 

By the time you get the 750 up with all the options your not far off from the cost of the 1050. I talked myself out of it but I now really want one.

The 750 does have the lifetime warranty Only the 1050 has the 1 year

Hello: Get the 1050 and don't look back. I have two of the older RL1050's that I bought used and they are from 80's 90's. They are built like a tank and hold their value very well. Don't worry about the warranty since you won't break anything if you use it manually. There are no plastic bushings or weak links to break. Conversions are expensive but you could always buy a 550 for reloading small runs of ammo. Thanks, Eric

My take is if you get your brass at the range, or worse yet buy LEO brass, go for the 1050.  You will still need another press, because it is expensive and time consuming to change calibers on the 1050.  I currently load everything on a Hornady LnL with case feeder and Mr. Bulletfeeder bullet feeder.  Everything works great as long as I buy fully processed bras.  The machine does not handle crimped LEO brass well at all.  I reload so many 9mm major a year it is crowding out the other calibers.  I considering buying a 1050 just for 9mm and using the LnL for 40 and 45.  That alone will save me $500/yr, because I can get all the 9mm brass I want for free, as long as I'm willing to process it.

I splurged on a S1050 when I was shooting mostly .45 ACP.  Well, time marches on and I am now shooting more 9mm, loaded on a 550.  I figure I have three options:

Keep on as before, I do have the time to load my needs on the 550.

Flip calibers and set up the 1050 for 9mm and use the 550 for my lower volume of .45s.

Buy a dedicated 1050 for 9mm.

Hey, a fourth possibility, shoot more .45s. 

24 minutes ago, Jim Watson said:

I splurged on a S1050 when I was shooting mostly .45 ACP.  Well, time marches on and I am now shooting more 9mm, loaded on a 550.  I figure I have three options:

Keep on as before, I do have the time to load my needs on the 550.

Flip calibers and set up the 1050 for 9mm and use the 550 for my lower volume of .45s.

Buy a dedicated 1050 for 9mm.

Hey, a fourth possibility, shoot more .45s. 

I would buy a second tool head and run both on the 1050.10 minutes is all it takes to change calibers. and keep the 550 for small batches of either Its not worth the hand fatigue