Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The latest take on DPP vs SRO

lfine

So anyone have a good amount of experience now with them both that could offer up some good insight on the differences and value? Is the difference in price equal to the difference in performance?Thanks in advance.

Best I can say it that in a circle of owners of both sights who I personally know, I don't know anyone who hasn't had problems with both sights. The most common issues with DPPs are the migration of a battery contact and motion sensor problems, though the latter is less relevant for competition. The SROs have had issues with elevation adjustment screws losing their position and issues with the dot disappearing or even not appearing at all, out of box. I know a lot more people/instances of DPPs going down than SROs, but it is also a function of DPP being around for longer time and being more prevalent.

Personal experience is limited to about 15-18,000 rounds through three DPPs and maybe 2200 rounds through one SRO within last year. One of DPPs broke twice within 8000 rounds, other optics have been OK. SRO is theoretically a more desirable optic, given the window size and all. That said, I've not found a measurable performance difference. I just shot a four day class alternating between the two and the optic didn't seem to matter much.

I have maybe 5k through the SRO and at least 50k through DPP. The DPP has a wider window while the SRO is taller. Arguably sro taller is better as recoil is in that plane.

As for reliability. I have the moving contact with DPP.  But re center it and all is well. Either works fine.

The dpp 7moa 🔺 looks more like a 20 moa dot vs the sro 5. But the SRO buttons are also better placed.

With the new dpp board and contact setup it's a close call. Though if push comes to shove I'd lean towards sro as the window "looks" bigger.

Both have good warranties. Which is more than can be said for the 2 year aimpoint acro.. 

Fwiw Ive won level 3 ipsc matches with both sights. 

Edited by ringram

I ran 2 DPPs 2.5 for a couple of years. First one lasted all the first year with no issues, then it started acting up. Between the two they have been to Leupold 4 times, all for the shifting contact.

I currently am running the SRO 2.5 since June, about 6K rounds so far (lots of dry fire), no issues.  The DPP died on me (shifted contact) in the am of the first day of a 2 day training clinic - that was my last straw.

As stated, both have their pluses and minuses, but overall I think the SRO is a little better.

- Changing the battery on the SRO is a PITA.  I hate those screw on caps.  A little Vaseline on the rubber o-ring makes tightening and loosening a lot easier.

- The battery flip lid on the DPP is awesome, too bad everyone cant go this route.

-  I like the buttons on the SRO are better than the DPP, but turning the SRO off can be a little tedious as both have to be pressed at same time.

- The SRO could use a couple more intensity levels between max and next setting down.  Max will sear your eyeballs on cloud covered days, but great on those bright sunny days.

- The DPP appears to be a little more robust with the metal shield, but that really is not too big an issue for USPSA games.  Tactical work, DPP might be better.

- The SRO screws are a more generic than the DPP.  The DPP screws are metric, but is sized so that if you replace them with standard metric screw, the holes in the DPP need to be reamed out so that the screw will fit.  Replacement DPP screws are available from Battlewerkz.  

Hope this helps some. 

Wow. Thanks, guys, for all the info. I’ve run a DPP 2.5 and was wondering about the SRO. Without being able to try the SRO, it sounds like I’m just fine. But maybe it’s time to have a backup ready just in case. Thanks again for all your detailed observations. 

I really feel if you're gonna shoot seriously you need 4 dots. So, the extra $$$ for the SRO is just gonna be that much more money you'll have tied up.  

I'd like to think the SRO is the solution but not convinced yet. 

39 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

I really feel if you're gonna shoot seriously you need 4 dots

Or a backup gun (complete with dot), and maybe one extra dot.

Edited by GregJ
clarified post.

I have about a thousand rounds on my 5 moa SRO on my glock and so far so good. I really like how clear and crisp the dot is. Just ordered two more though to be on the safe side.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Had horrible luck with my 3 DPPs. Between the 3 units, they went back to the factory at least 5 times in the six months I was using them. Twice, Leupold had two of my optics in the shop at the same time.

Got back into CO with SROs. So far, I've had no issues with them. But I need to run another 10k or so rounds through the gun before I'm convinced the SRO is better. But this is just one shooter's experience. I know people who swear by the reliability of DPPs.

I have only minimal experience  (-5,000 rounds) with the DPP, but it had to go back to fix the sliding battery contact. That said, they fixed it quickly, and time will tell about how long the fix will hold.

Might have something to with how many units that are in the wild. It is one of the most popular optics in action sports. I’m guessing not all of them fail at the same time so it may be years before all of them are replaced. 

I lost the latch that held the battery door closed on one of my units. They repaired it free of charge and while in the shop they replaced the circuit board. I wasn’t having any issues with it but they changed it out while they had it. I have a second unit that has the newer board in it and it’s running fine with matches every weekend not counting practice. 

I might look at the Romeo 1 Pro or SRO down the road once they get more popular and more time in the field to see how they hold up but as of right now I’m happy with my DPPs. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/8/2019 at 7:30 PM, terrydoc said:

I don't understand how that can still be an issue , it seems to have been happening for quite a while now and still not rectified by Leupold.

why should they fix it? They will lose sales if people dont buy backups. 

I have a DPP on my S2 OR and a SRO on my A01-LD.  All are 2.5MOA.  Close to 30k rounds on the DPP and about 10k on the SRO. Have not had any problems with the DPP and had one SRO (currently own 3 of them) that was defective right from the factory. The effective SRO was replaced by Trijicon without any issues. 

I like the taller window of the SRO and the dot is brighter and sharper than the DPP.  Controls are better on the SRO as well. 

If having to choose between DPP and SRO, I would go SRO.  That being said I'm waiting for a Romeo 3XL for my open gun.  Looking forward to see how that one stacks up. 

I have about 40k in 9 major and 20k with SuperComp (or so) on my DPP and it looks a little ruff but never had one issue. I change the battery about once or twice a year and don’t play with the brightness adjustments, unless I’m shooting nationals @ universal shooting academy where you face the sun early morning or late afternoon. I started with the OG Delta Point and as soon as the DPP was available to civilians,  I pick one up and never looked back.

i am looking at the SRO but I still worry about every micro dots reliably. I guess I got lucky with  the DPP I received and I might stay with what works...

On 11/8/2019 at 8:30 PM, terrydoc said:

I don't understand how that can still be an issue , it seems to have been happening for quite a while now and still not rectified by Leupold.

I would guess with the number of DPP sold vs the number of DPP that have had issues, it doesn’t warrant changing. Just my thoughts.  The military is the largest consumer of the DPP so who knows. Maybe the military doesn’t worry with fixing them and they just throw another on and go?? 

Edited by a matt

• 6 months later...

I’m looking at getting a honcho or atlas Athena but I’m curious as to which optic to run.  I like the looks of the SRO but have heard good things about the DPP.   I have also read and heard some good things with Holosun.   Is the SRO worth the extra $ over the other two?