Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dan Wesson DWX: The Mother Thread

Mdooz

Pretty much no one makes all the components for every gun they make.  All it takes is one major component supplier, like say a barrel manufacturer who is making the barrels for the guns, to be shut down by Covid, and the whole thing is done.  Especially for a new product where the component may be proprietary. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/29/2021 at 9:56 AM, jripper said:

Pretty much no one makes all the components for every gun they make.  All it takes is one major component supplier, like say a barrel manufacturer who is making the barrels for the guns, to be shut down by Covid, and the whole thing is done.  Especially for a new product where the component may be proprietary. 

Exaclty. Funny thing is even the very few companies who manufacture every single piece they put into a gun still have to get raw materials from an outside source. 

I've been following information (scarce) on the DWX with several CONTACT attempts to Dan Wesson Firearms.

Little luck until yesterday.

I spoke with Erin at CZ customer service.  I used the 1-800-955-4486 number which routed the call to CZ in KS.

The Dan Wesson Facility in NY is closed.  Illness sited as the reason.

Erin indicated that Dan Wesson is suffering from COVID induced issues which devastated the groups ability to manufacture product.

First, the poor NY state handling of business operations concerning COVID restrictions(my opinion not Erin's).

Second, the loss of vendor(s) supplying parts.  Specifically the DWX parts.  I'm not aware of the breakdown, but it sounds like the DWX is primary an assembly of external components.  Erin indicated that Dan Wesson was forced to obtain new vendors in order to make parts for the DWX.  No specifics as to the vendor(s)/part(s) in question.

Third, with new vendor(s)/part(s) secured and the assembly of the DWX resumed, the facility is still having issues with illness and is closed.  That is, Dan Wesson can get the parts to make the DWX, is making the DWX, but the facility is closed due to illness?  This is where the third, fourth, fifth... hand information leads to more questions.

Fourth, the DWX availability is...well not likely to be soon from the sounds of it.  Erin indicated that Dan Wesson would make announcements in the FUTURE when they are shipping product.

I have written the Dan Wesson Firearms company on multiple occasions to berate this poor behavior.  I don't know if it is specific to leadership at the CEO level only, or is a culture issue in the leadership ranks.  Still waiting for a response.

15 hours ago, gnappi said:

After info started dribbling out on the DWX, I squirreled away the money to pay full MSRP or even a reasonable uplift in price, and waited. I never understood vaporware announcements.

Well this one certainly had different circumstances.

On 2/10/2021 at 8:47 PM, FALAR said:

Well this one certainly had different circumstances.

??? COVID was just getting scary, 2/20 and they "announced" months before that in 2019. 

I worked for a major computer maker and we would not announce until we had sufficient volume to fill "the pipeline" or distribution network that out marketing suits said we needed before we could announce.

I think vaporware is a good description of their announcement, YMMV.

Edited by gnappi

On 2/13/2021 at 6:15 AM, 1911vm said:

So does that mean they have 1911 parts now?????

Did anyone ever go to Colt for parts? Not me 🙂 IMO there's nothing Colt does others haven't done equally well or better for less money. We'll see what they do for them.

On 2/12/2021 at 10:28 PM, 1911vm said:

Its ALL COVID-19.  All they had to do is wear double no triple mask and you would have had a DWX by now.  

Agreed.

Blaming COVID for everything has lost traction. Every business I'm personally familiar with is working overtime to fill needs. From ammo makers, Kitchen cabinet fabricators, Floor tile, granite / marble counter tops, retail and restaurants are going full tilt. Sure office workers have been slimmed down, I think to easily remove dead weight without repercussions from government and ex-employees.

33 minutes ago, konkapot said:

I wonder why they couldn't put together a PR blurb covering the basics of the situation; same basic info that Erin gave you. Social media or email blast or something on their website. 

they have nothing to say. as they don't have anything LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

CZ has been terrible the past year at least their Mil/LE team.  Ignoring emails, not responding to voice mails, playing games with the purchase program and blaming the website, and then pointing you towards their Mil/LE dealers who refuse to place an order and then not responding to emails bringing this to their attention.  The irony is that when I sent an email about T&Eing a pistol as we were looking for a new gun for our agency, they were johnny on the spot with the comms and sending out a T&E P10c and following up abou that, while ignoring all other emails.  I think im done with them and will buy a tangfolio and go to springfield for any future commercial 1911 purchases.

Edited by 18111811

12 minutes ago, 18111811 said:

CZ has been terrible the past year at least their Mil/LE team.  Ignoring emails, not responding to voice mails, playing games with the purchase program and blaming the website, and then pointing you towards their Mil/LE dealers who refuse to place an order and then not responding to emails bringing this to their attention.  The irony is that when I sent an email about T&Eing a pistol as we were looking for a new gun for our agency, they were johnny on the spot with the comms and sending out a T&E P10c and following up abou that, while ignoring all other emails.  I think im done with them and will buy a tangfolio and go to springfield for any future commercial 1911 purchases.

Same experience with their MiL/LE program here with me. Everything was smooth when Mr Eager was the POC. He was very straightforward, professional and helpful when I dealt with him three years ago.

The new guy in charge of their Mil/LE program gave me the runaround when he decides to  reply after multiple emails had been sent.