Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best route to get into Open

jschroep

I am going to get into USPSA next year. What division would you start off in? I have a gun i can shoot production with so i'd probably go into that. Afterwards Im not really sure where to go. Do I hop into open after that or do I go into limited. Also what would used open gun run me? I know it would depend on brand but ballpark.

I am going to get into USPSA next year. What division would you start off in? I have a gun i can shoot production with so i'd probably go into that. Afterwards Im not really sure where to go. Do I hop into open after that or do I go into limited. Also what would used open gun run me? I know it would depend on brand but ballpark.

honestly, to race in hi cap go carry optics. you may be able to utilize your production gun if it's legal and it's soo much easier to run than open. plus, it truly is fun with the limiting factor being minor scoring but it's still fast.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

My trip into open was with a 40 s&w M&P CORE with a Fastfire3 3moa MRDS. I also added a threaded barrel with a Carver 4 port comp.
This was absolutely the wrong way to go. I had my hat handed to me at every match. What it did teach me was how to find the dot on my gun. I now own an STI DVC Open.
I will say that open is fun but EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE.
Reloading is a challenge until you find a load that works well for your gun. Then it is just practice.
My cost to get into open so far is around $7500.00. This includes two guns, a progressive reloading press with dies and supplies (powder, bullets,primers, etc.)
Other than that you need a place to work on reloading. I am sure others will add to my assessment.
So you see, it is expensive but for most guys it is a labor of love.
Good luck no matter what you decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Take whatever you have now and shoot uspsa for 3 to 6 months, then start making gear and division decisions. There is a huge difference between dot vs iron sight rigs, low cap vs high cap, etc... figure that all out after you shoot what you have and maybe shoot some friends guns to find what you like. Also, keep in mind the gear /gun wont make you a better shooter. So long as you have gear that works and is reliable, the difference in say a $1500 limited gun and a $7000 limited gun in the same shooters hands wont make much of a difference in match placement. Effective practice and training will make the difference. 

Would definitely shoot 5 to 10 matches in production.  Be careful, it's a slippery slope to get into the gear.  If you upgrade to a new gun make sure you factor in all the mags and holsters you're going to need.

I would shoot as many varieties of competitions as you can.  Steel Challenge, USPSA, 3 Gun, Run&Gun, IDPA, etc.  If you end up liking one better than USPSA it might be wise to target your upgrades around that flavor of competition. e.g. In 3 Gun a 9mm 2011 is a fantastic pistol, however, in USPSA that pistol is (without specific reloads) a minor power factor and a disadvantage.

In USPSA, in my opinion, going from Production to Carry Optics is one of the best division jumps starting off.  It's less expensive to be competitive in CO than in Limited or Open and you get to blaze away with a red dot.  If you decide you love the red dot and want to get into even nicer guns, there is Open.  If you hate the red dot but want to get into nicer guns, there is Limited.  If you hate blazing down targets and want to reload all the time like in Production, but with nicer guns, there is Limited10, Single Stack, and Revolver.  If you want to just hose all the time, there is PCC.

6 hours ago, HawaiianShirtShooter said:

Would definitely shoot 5 to 10 matches in production.  Be careful, it's a slippery slope to get into the gear. 

exactly

dont think you can improve your scores throwing money at the gun or other more or less irrelevant accessories. 

i shoot open and in a big match i got my ass handed over by a guy shooting a borrowed, big standard glock 19 using a 10 dollars holster. commercial ammo.

get a decent prod gun and buy (or make) ammo and shoot it. that is the only money that you should invest on. 

reloading is always good. you dont save any money, but you have a good excuse to shoot more 

When I got started, back in the late 80's, it was a much simpler decision - .45 or 9 mm ?

I guess the .38 Supers were making their debut, with an astounding 10 rounds in the mag ???

I started with the Browning Hi-Power I bought 20 years before, and shot it in IPSC (Yes, it

was actually called IPSC back then) for about a year.

Then, I decided I couldn't live with the Minor classification (losing points for every C or D

I hit).    So, I bought a .45 Colt.

You are way ahead of yourself - shoot the gun you have for at least a couple months, and then

start thinking about this subject again.   Too early now.

Then, there is no reason to "JUMP" into anything else - you may elect to stay where you are,

or drop out altogether.

You can probably buy a used CZ Open gun for $1,000 and a 2011 for $2,400, ball park - 

just keep checking the Classifieds here at BE for the next few months.

BTW, good luck, and have FUN with your new hobby.    :) 

Limited minor with whatever gear you have is the easiest way to start the sport. Load up the mags, fewer reloads, get used to the mechanics. Shoot a few matches and make a more informed and personal preference decision then. I don't agree with newbies shooting production first. They are going to get wrecked in the scores regardless, so make it more simple with fewer reloads and stage planning extra thinking.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

You have a Production gun, so shoot that for a while.  For not a lot of money you could add a dot and mag extensions and shoot Carry optics.  You approach the stage like a Limited shooter, but you have a dot.

Whatever gear you impulse-buy in your first year... likely won’t be around a few years later. 

Whatever you buy before your very first match will definitely be wrong, unless you have a seasoned veteran giving advice.

Bring three or four mags for your 9mm, fill them up, and shoot limited minor for a few matches.

Talk to guys who shoot other divisions. They’ll let you give their guns a test drive. Shoot a lot of different competitor’s gear, and a years worth of matches.

Then you’ll know what you want.

Yeah, what M&M said above. I shot a bunch in open division. I pretty much quit shooting a few years back and I sold my open blasters. I know some shooters have a disdain of carry optics and/or pcc, but those divisions are a godsend for us baby boomers with failing vision and arthritis. Optics without the violence of an open blaster brought me back into the game. Don't be in a hurry to buy a bunch of additional gear. Shoot, learn, and think on it for a while. 

12 hours ago, earthshine402 said:

Limited minor with whatever gear you have is the easiest way to start the sport. Load up the mags, fewer reloads, get used to the mechanics. Shoot a few matches and make a more informed and personal preference decision then. I don't agree with newbies shooting production first. They are going to get wrecked in the scores regardless, so make it more simple with fewer reloads and stage planning extra thinking.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

This is great advice.  Take this over my advice.  It's what we usually tell people at their first match.  It's the best way to have fun and get used to all of the safety rules, procedures etc. 

Seems like most everyone is one the same page.  Start off Limited Minor or Production if you want.

Limited Minor you'd need 4 mags and 3 mag carriers and a holster and belt.  Production just up it to 6 mags and 5 mag carriers.  (this are safe numbers you could scrape by with one less mag and carier in each diviision)

If you're starting out you'll most likely be using a different gun than you start with.  If you want to start out with a quality match pistol starters are G34, CZ Shadow 2s, Walther Q5's, Canik, etc.  Something that has an optic plate from fractory is nice so you can try carry optics with the same gun if you want.  It will cut cost of gear down later.  Shoot it stock for a bit, tons of guys starting out come with gear they don't even need or would want after talking to seasoned vets. 

If you want to get into open start shooting carry optics early or at the start.  But honestly most people start out thinking they want to do one thing in this sport and go another route because it changes as you progress.  Keep an open mind and just go out and shoot and see where the USPSA road takes you.

I jumped into open probably too soon but part of it for me was just shooting what I thought was fun.  If I had to do it over today I would go with CO.  It's super fun to shoot, easy to buy off the shelf ammo, and is reliable with no tweaking or tinkering.  Like what has been posted above, stick with what you have for a few matches then consider CO.  Pick up a sig x5 legion, put a Romeo 1pro on it and go have some fun.  

I shot for 2 years in USPSA before jumping into a new venture...  Shoot more than a few matches, see what others are playing with what spikes your interest don't forget to ask questions, learn from the pros and better shooters than you are.  Also, open is not a cheap sport get ready to spend a goog amount of $$$ on a good open quality pistol and do yourself a favor, don't be that guy with an "open glock"  2011 or CZ Czechmate if you want to go the affordable route try to venture into the pre owned market as well.  

But the best advice would be to shoot as many matches as possible, before taking a dive into the abyss~ :) 

I started in open and never looked back lol. Started with an open glock then moved on to 2011’s. I’d try what you have now then decide on what division you want to shoot. If going to open, go the 2011 route for sure 

• 4 weeks later...

Just a thought is to buy an M&P, XD or Glock that is milled for CO.  Get your mags and a red dot.  Try it for a bit and if you like the dot and want to try open you can buy a quick drop in barrel and comp from Carver Customs for around $300-$400 bucks.  It is the cheapest way to try open or CO and see which you enjoy.  If you buy a CR speed or Ghost race holster you can adjust it for CO or a comp easy.  With this setup you could shoot limited, CO, or open for a little over a thousand bucks depending on how many goodies you want after that.  Happy experimenting!!!  

Hello: I would start with shooting Limited minor with the setup you have now. You will have to worry about only 1 reload and can just concentrate on the shooting. After 6 months or so I would then consider Carry Optics and getting into reloading. After another year I would then look back at what you enjoy shooting the most. It may surprise you what you like the best. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric