Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CO Optics Longevity

Chuck D

Curious to know, how long can I expect a slide mounted optic to last ? 

What's the best option for a durable optic ? 

Is it best to purchase a pistol with the slide cut for the optic or will an optic last that's mounted in the slide with a dovetail adaptor ? 

Thanks for the input. 

The Trijicon RMR on my 9mm S&W CORE has lasted over 6500 rounds. They seem to be built tough enough to handle the VERY significant G-forces the optic gets during a rapid slide ride. I have seen other sights that didn't last 500 rounds on a slide, but were just fine on a rail mount for rimfire rifle/pistol/PCC. The slide ride is tough on electronics and electrical contacts.

I shoot a G34 with a dovetailed optic mount. I don't shoot this gun alot mostly 3-gun & some USPSA. I would go thru a Vortex/venom/viper about every 6months (5K rounds). Starts to lose zero as you are shooting. Just rotate them and send back for no questions warranty replacement. Tried a Burris FF3 and has lasted slightly longer so far. Also has lifetime warranty although I have not broken it, yet.

I have a friend who shoots a Walther with slide cut mount and he shoots alot of USPSA, almost every weekend. Thousands of rounds a year and he has the same general results with his Vortx red dots. About every 5-6 months. Does the same has a spare & rotates. Have seen him change out during match. Seems to hold zero well when swapping. 

Not sure on other brands, but I would make sure whatever you get it has a lifetime no questions asked, warranty. They are gonna break. 

gerritm

My first DPP lasted somewhere between 15,000 - 16,000 rounds before it broke. Don’t remember the exact round count. Sent it in for repair put my back up on to use. When I received the repaired one back (they changed the circuit board). Lasted somewhere around 2,000+ rounds before the battery contact slipped. Sent it back turn around including shipping was 10 days. Put it back on and have about 3,000 rounds on it with no problems. Personally I like DPP dots and will continue to use them until something comes out that is really better.

My advice: no matter which dot you decide to use have a back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As others have said - highly variable.  Vortex Venoms and a Viper are my experience. I ran a 6 MOA Venom about 12,000 rounds (about 10,000 on an M&P CORE, and the last 2,000 on a Q5 MATCH SF) before it had to go back. New one on for about 1,000 rounds - so far so good.  I had a 3 MOA Venom on a milled M&P Pro that lasted only about 300 rounds - the milling? the dot? Not sure - haven't shot it at all since.  Had a 6 MOA Viper go about 4,000 before it croaked - new one now on my PCC and not getting much work, or much recoil when it does. 

If I were starting over, and money was no object - I'd buy two 5 MOA SROs.  If money is a medium object - two DPPs.  If money is a real object, two 6 MOA Vortex Venoms.  Also depends how much, and what kind of shooting you want to do.

Good shooting to you!

19 minutes ago, Rich406 said:

Some are worse than others, but it’s unusual right now to get one that lasts over 10k on a CO gun. 

I'm pretty sure Trijicon RMR (original, with no electronics) can last 10k rounds. There isn't much to break.

43 minutes ago, lstange said:

I'm pretty sure Trijicon RMR (original, with no electronics) can last 10k rounds. There isn't much to break.

Trijicon RMR is great for carry, but a rare sight in Uspsa for a reason. 

Edited by Rich406

On 8/23/2019 at 4:52 PM, Rich406 said:

Trijicon RMR is great for carry, but a rare sight in Uspsa for a reason. 

so a sight that cant win a game is ok if your life is on the line,,, 

Edited by Joe4d

yeh, kinda worked my way to that point with firearms as well, depending on the game of coarse. Some cool games out there that use guns that are just for fun.

Edited by Joe4d

19 hours ago, Joe4d said:

so a sight that cant win a game is ok if your life is on the line,,, 

the main perks of the RMR is the reliability, ruggedness and battery life. When your life is on the line,  the dot will be there. The problem with using it in a game is it’s tiny window. While you can use it, you’re putting yourself at a competitive disadvantage. 

Edited by Rich406

20 hours ago, Rich406 said:

the main perks of the RMR is the reliability, ruggedness and battery life. When your life is on the line,  the dot will be there. The problem with using it in a game is it’s tiny window. While you can use it, you’re putting yourself at a competitive disadvantage. 

So the glass being tiny is supposed to be a good thing in an “oh sh!t” moment and I can’t find the dot??

OP, I’m on my second FF3; probably have 7k~ through my CO gun. The first one made it about 4K before the emitter lens  broke; and idk how it happened. I took it out of the safe and the lens was cracked. 

2 hours ago, HCH said:

So the glass being tiny is supposed to be a good thing in an “oh sh!t” moment and I can’t find the dot??

IMO reliability trumps usability for self defense. Now, if there was an optic that offered both that would be ideal. But there isn’t. 

I have just under 25k this year on 3 guns/ DPPs.  Two of the 3 DPP were new at the end of 2018, but one is from 2017.  I didn’t keep track of rounds fired previously, but probably similar.  So far so good.  I’d guesstimate I changed batteries 8-10 times, all three sights are still running.  

I’m still going to try an SRO due to the window size.  Going to delta points from the Insight MRDS was a significant improvement.

Different division, but I had a Leupold Deltapoint on my .38 Super Open gun, slide-ride...  So Major power factor.

it has lasted for years and years and ten thousands of rounds. 

I only hear good things about the deltapoints actually. 

The rest is mostly crap... apparently. 

IMG_9664.PNG