Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Local rules v. USPSA

p7fl

USPSA v local range rules.

I know this has been reviewed before. Can’t find it.

Can a local Level 1 Match Director come up with range specific rules that are not in the “Book”?

Generally, I look at local range rules with courtesy and respect them.

Can someone call a DQ for something local and not in the book?

(Local club, no official DQ given, no shooters were injured during the discussion.)

Answer is NO.

Correct?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember a couple things when looking at 3.3.

1. The USPSA President CAN authorize a local rule.. but last time I asked there were none.
2. Local laws take precedence.. if a law says you can’t do something— then that takes effect..
ie mags, as in 3.3.1..

the most common local rule I've heard off is no reloading with the muzzle over the berm...
that usually ends matches...
the other “local” rule I’ve seen people not happy with—- is no PCC on the range... but that is permissible as a club does not have to have that as a division... I can name at least one club that does that...

5 minutes ago, RadarTech said:

Remember a couple things when looking at 3.3.

1. The USPSA President CAN authorize a local rule.. but last time I asked there were none.
2. Local laws take precedence.. if a law says you can’t do something— then that takes effect..
ie mags, as in 3.3.1..

the most common local rule I've heard off is no reloading with the muzzle over the berm...
that usually ends matches...
the other “local” rule I’ve seen people not happy with—- is no PCC on the range... but that is permissible as a club does not have to have that as a division... I can name at least one club that does that...

We had the no PCC allowed at a local match up until recently due to a zoning conflict. Luckily the range owners and a group of local shooters were able to get things worked out so it isn’t an issue any more. 

12 minutes ago, robchavous said:

We have a local indoor club that will end your night if you shoot into one of the side walls.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Using which USPSA rule?  Have you reported this to the section director?

46 minutes ago, DKorn said:

We had the no PCC allowed at a local match up until recently due to a zoning conflict. Luckily the range owners and a group of local shooters were able to get things worked out so it isn’t an issue any more. 

All divisions are optional at all levels of USPSA matches. It's not a local rule to not allow a division at a match. 

No shooting side walls is true for at least one club match in GA. 

However, we design stages by using structure so that range wall shots are not generally going to happen. Or write it in the stage brief: ie, “these targets must be shot from this shooting area only”

Edited by Sdlrodeo

Using which USPSA rule?  Have you reported this to the section director?
I'm not sure offhand. It's been a while since I've seen it happen.

I'd guess you could probably do it for 10.6 for "failing to comply with reasonable directions of a match official".

The section coordinator has shot that match.

Not sure if any of the other indoor clubs have anything similar it's the only indoor one I've ever shot and I don't go to it terribly often just because of the night it's on.

However, we design stages by using structure so that range wall shots are not generally going to happen. Or write it in the stage brief: ie, “these targets must be shot from this shooting area only”
Probably the club in GA I'm referencing.

I have seen all kinds of local rules, sometimes i call BS on them, sometimes i just shoot it.  Anymore, instead of being a USPSA rules zealot, i pick my battles and unless something is way out there, i just roll with it.  As far as DQs, IDK.  Most of the time people get to slide for what would be a DQ at locals.  Although I was on a squad once that was threatened with a DQ for shooting steel from the wrong box, none of which were at a DQable distance, I called BS on that one 

5 hours ago, robchavous said:

I'm not sure offhand. It's been a while since I've seen it happen.

I'd guess you could probably do it for 10.6 for "failing to comply with reasonable directions of a match official".

That only works when the match official is asking something backed by a rule, not just cause I say so. 

Someone local will correct me if I'm wrong (and I may be), but I think Dallas Pistol Club in Carrollton, TX has USPSA approval on a restriction against a muzzle pointing over the berm during a reload (DQ offence).

First, is it a USPSA sanction match?

Is there a classifier that will be sent to Headquarters?

It might be a ‘local’ match that uses USPSA rules. That happens frequently. 

You can be asked to leave for violating local rules. 

The black and white hardliners of the rule book will not like the idea of local club rules taking precedence but reality is it happens all the time-respect the local rules or no shooting. 

Just as a side note I often fought a local club for it’s stupid local rules that had no reasonable foundation and pushed for standardization of the USPSA rule book. 

One club here in Wisconsin that I will only shoot one match a year at, their points series match, has a rule if you use any swear words, you get  dq'!   Have not heard it happen, but like stated, I will not go their but for one match.  The group I shoot with will not go either.

Mike

14 hours ago, Sdlrodeo said:

8 hours ago, ima45dv8 said:

Someone local will correct me if I'm wrong (and I may be), but I think Dallas Pistol Club in Carrollton, TX has USPSA approval on a restriction against a muzzle pointing over the berm during a reload (DQ offence).

You can be a USPSA rules stickler, and eliminate these clubs from potential places to shoot a local match, or you can do like IDPA does and allow more stringent club specific safety rules at local matches. 

I'd rather keep muzzle below the berm reloading, and not shoot side walls, than not have a place to shoot. It ain't that hard. 

Less stringent safety rules? That is when I would choose not to attend or possibly could get uppity about contacting USPSA. 

1 hour ago, IHAVEGAS said:

You can be a USPSA rules stickler, and eliminate these clubs from potential places to shoot a local match, or you can do like IDPA does and allow more stringent club specific safety rules at local matches. 

I'd rather keep muzzle below the berm reloading, and not shoot side walls, than not have a place to shoot. It ain't that hard. 

Less stringent safety rules? That is when I would choose not to attend or possibly could get uppity about contacting USPSA. 

Less stringent rules😬 I totally agree. 

As as far as I am concerned in shooting in CA, WA, NV AZ, LA, unless the club is paying a fee to USPSA it is a local match run under USPSA guidelines. 

Under 10.4.1 you could, in theory, declare in the WSB that any shot impacting a side wall (on an indoor range) is deemed a shot fired in an unsafe direction.  A DQ would then fall under 10.4.1.  It would also be incumbent on the match organizers under various provisions of 2.1.xx to ensure such shots were unlikely (or impossible) given the course design.