Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where do you put your safety flag at LAMR?

I know, I know, trivial stuff but I am who I am.  Where are you putting your chamber flag while you are shooting a stage?  I have been putting them in a convenient pocket but they are leaving all kinds of oil/filth/carbon on my pants that either won't come out or at best is a pita to get out.  Yes, I run the flag down the magwell to minimize what gets on the flag.  I don't want to have to give it to a RO and I don't want to have to spend 30 seconds retrieving it while my squadmates heckle me for how PCCs are slowing the match down.  Before I attempt to reinvent the wheel with racer tape and baling wire I thought I would see what others are doing.     

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just being a rules Nazi here:

The command is "make ready."

8.3.1 “Make Ready” –– This command signifies the start of “the Course of Fire”

We were taught in RO class to only use the EXACT commands. So there is no "load and make ready" or "shooter ready."

Rant over.

I could contribute to the OP's inquiry, I see many PCC shooter put a tag on their flag so they can put it in their front pocket with an easy way to retrieve at the ICHMF.

i shoot a lot of 2 & 3 gun where the RO's generally grab the flags from the chamber (so shooter can keep both hands on the long gun) and hold them.  so as a shooter i'll hand it to the RO or as the RO i'll grab it from the chamber, although some pcc shooters prefer to pull it and keep it on them, and some RO's seem offended if i indicate for them to grab it from my chamber.  whatever works i guess, not that big of a deal.

I have a small dump pouch on my belt on my week side behind my mag pouch:

https://lapolicegear.com/maro.html?nav_pouches_opt1=wolf&gclid=CjwKCAjwvJvpBRAtEiwAjLuRPZ8q7RjXUZ0sVJhDNEjbJJ2rnZc0w9C3kIt98alWxvS4jPC4umhy1xoCGmcQAvD_BwE

•  drop the first mag in it when I head to the line
  • drop the flag in it when I grab the first mag to load 
  • drop any used mag (s) and chambered round in it & pull the flag back out 

my mags on my belt are only used for reloads, every thing used on a stage is in the dump pouch to be cleaned and reloaded at the end of the stage....

38 minutes ago, OPENB said:

I have the standard yellow flags. I drilled a hole through the flag part, and put a steel split key ring through it. I use the magnet from my open rig to hold it while I shoot.

^^^^ 

This.

Sorry, since I wasn't actually issuing a range command I thought lamr would serve the purpose here.  Best laid plans of mice and men....  🙂

Totally like the split key ring idea. 

Kevin, I've thought about your setup and I do have a dump bag.  That might do the trick as well. 

I

34 minutes ago, Old3GNR said:

I my experience, almost every time I give it to the RO.  

+1 - hand it to the RO, and have him re-insert it after the "... hammer down, flag" command. It is faster and more efficient if the shooter doesn't have to give himself a pat-down to find where he put the damned thing.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Agree the RO bit is faster but frankly I have seen a variance in responses from handing a flag to the RO which seems to correlate closely to how they feel about PCC as a division and I just don't feel like dealing with it.  Never an issue at 3-gun matches though. 

Just now, Neomet said:

Agree the RO bit is faster but frankly I have seen a variance in responses from handing a flag to the RO which seems to correlate closely to how they feel about PCC as a division and I just don't feel like dealing with it.  Never an issue at 3-gun matches though. 

Just hold it out and look at him expectantly... sooner or later he will get the message :roflol:

15 minutes ago, Neomet said:

you would think that PCC being the #2 or #3  largest division in all of the level 2&3 matches in AZ for the last 18 months, the haters would start to get over it... If they got their wish and PCC went away in to their own stand alone sport that would be a 30% ish drop in attendance  at the now Pistol only matches... 

Edited by 2011BLDR

Let's keep this about chamber flags...

I use my pocket since the beginning so nobody could bitch about me taking too long. I clear my pocket prior to the match so the flag will be the only thing in the pocket. If I forget, I just flag with my car keys 😉

As an RO, I will happily take the flag from them and hand it back at the end of their run. I will not insert it or touch their firearm during the COF, least there be some sort of lame-ass ploy to get an interference call during the COF. I really can't imagine what it would be but I wound not be surprised if something happened. 😉

I had a pretty good routine using a dedicated pocket.  The grunge issue was pointed out to me by the chief de-grunger in the household.   Not only do I recognize I am batting way out of my league with her in the first place but she is a dedicated Open shooter.  Keeping a treasure like that happy is certainly a worthwhile endeavour.    

2 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Let's keep this about chamber flags...

I use my pocket since the beginning so nobody could bitch about me taking too long. I clear my pocket prior to the match so the flag will be the only thing in the pocket. If I forget, I just flag with my car keys 😉

As an RO, I will happily take the flag from them and hand it back at the end of their run. I will not insert it or touch their firearm during the COF, least there be some sort of lame-ass ploy to get an interference call during the COF. I really can't imagine what it would be but I wound not be surprised if something happened. 😉

I don’t like holding flags for shooters, but will do it if they are so confused they don’t know what else to do. I generally stand far away from them at make ready to get the point across.😎

But I do draw a hard line at reinserting the flag. I’m not getting involved in clearing their gun.

As an RO, I don't see any problem with holding the flag for the shooter. 

It's quick and easy without having the shooter fumble around looking for the flag that fell down in the bottom of the pocket, or fell out on the ground somewhere. 

I've always found USPSA as a sport where everyone helps each other and getting a snarky RO ruins the experience for everyone. 

10 minutes ago, Matt1911 said:

As an RO, I don't see any problem with holding the flag for the shooter. 

It's quick and easy without having the shooter fumble around looking for the flag that fell down in the bottom of the pocket, or fell out on the ground somewhere. 

I've always found USPSA as a sport where everyone helps each other and getting a snarky RO ruins the experience for everyone. 

I don’t think it’s snarky to expect a shooter to manage their own gear. I would NEVER expect an RO to hold a flag for me. I guess it just comes off as presumptuous.

I like the various magnet options

Local club matches, I hand it over to the RO.

Big matches, I put it in my front pant pocket; keyring inside while chamber flag (I have the short one) danggling out the pocket. I find it easier to grab it the right way the first time instead of having the whole thing inside my pocket.

I quit handing off the flag after a major 3gun match where I my favorite flag got lost. It was one of the schwag flags Taccom would drop in the box with an order. My rifle ended up back on the rack, me holding my shotgun, and the private that took my flag somewhere. I’m sure it wasn’t intentional, but I just handle it myself now. Plus, I just don’t want to deal with any grief from PCC hating ROs even if it makes the stage more efficient. Just make yourself more efficient. 

11 hours ago, Sarge said:

I don’t think it’s snarky to expect a shooter to manage their own gear. I would NEVER expect an RO to hold a flag for me. I guess it just comes off as presumptuous.

i'd rather the shooter focus on remaining safe and getting his run on, vs taking his eyes and his mind off the gun while trying to find a place for the flag.  same at the end of the run.  just like the pistol guys that are more concerned about finding and picking up their ejected round than getting their gun back in the holster safely.  when i'm the RO i think it's my job to make it easy and safer for the shooter.