Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where do you put your safety flag at LAMR?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, davsco said:

i'd rather the shooter focus on remaining safe and getting his run on, vs taking his eyes and his mind off the gun while trying to find a place for the flag.  same at the end of the run.  just like the pistol guys that are more concerned about finding and picking up their ejected round than getting their gun back in the holster safely.  when i'm the RO i think it's my job to make it easy and safer for the shooter.

But, but...... for pistol guys that do that I watch them to make sure they don’t sweep themselves etc. until range is clear. That’s a far cry from assisting a carbine shooter.

2 hours ago, waktasz said:

I'm not holding your greasy chamber flag for you. Figure it out. 

This.

I’ve built and shot a PCC at USPSA matches, so I’m not hating even though the division is not my favorite.

You never handed anything you owned to an RO with a handgun. Just because you suddenly arrive with a long gun and one more itty bitty piece of plastic to juggle doesn’t mean he’s now supposed to assist. His job is safety. Yours is to juggle mags and such.

Sometimes I watch new PCC shooters, and wonder if I was the only one who practiced flag manipulation and loading/unloading at home before I brought a rifle to a match.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I MD a monthly multigun match, and I RM major annual multigun and PCC matches. Wherever possible I like to ENCOURAGE my ROs to take the flag from the shooter during "Make Ready" and then reinsert it for them after the "If clear..." command. I do this because it is significantly faster - when every shooter on every stage is using a flag (or maybe 2), this time saving can be the difference between running on schedule or behind. Administratively it just makes more sense.

As an RO, I am always happy to do whatever I can to facilitate timely and safe participation by competitors. I have never complained when a pistol shooter asked me to hold X or Y while they made ready... it is just part of being a courteous and professional RO, and PCC shooters should be able to expect the same courtesy regardless of how their RO feels about "rifles in a pistol match".

As for the possibility of an interference call, the CoF is effectively over after the "If clear..." command is given, so any shooter demanding a reshoot would get short shrift.

Edited by StealthyBlagga
46 minutes ago, StealthyBlagga said:

I MD a monthly multigun match, and I RM major annual multigun and PCC matches. Wherever possible I like to ENCOURAGE my ROs to take the flag from the shooter during "Make Ready" and then reinsert it for them after the "If clear..." command. I do this because it is significantly faster - when every shooter on every stage is using a flag (or maybe 2), this time saving can be the difference between running on schedule or behind. Administratively it just makes more sense.

As an RO, I am always happy to do whatever I can to facilitate timely and safe participation by competitors. I have never complained when a pistol shooter asked me to hold X or Y while they made ready... it is just part of being a courteous and professional RO, and PCC shooters should be able to expect the same courtesy regardless of how their RO feels about "rifles in a pistol match".

As for the possibility of an interference call, the CoF is effectively over after the "If clear..." command is given, so any shooter demanding a reshoot would get short shrift.

And that is why we love you so!! 🙂

1 hour ago, StealthyBlagga said:

--- snip ---

and the USPSA CoF is really over after "range is clear". I am not saying that anything would come of an interference claim, I just don't want to give anybody a chance to waste time. 😉

ETA: I don't want to name names but I am sure that you have run people who would try to take advantage of such a thing...

1 hour ago, StealthyBlagga said:

Well p, since I shoot his matches and not because of him, I almost always offer to hold the flag.  Most ROs at the same do the same for me..  

Courtsey abounds at Rio. 

11 minutes ago, pjb45 said:

Well p, since I shoot his matches and not because of him, I almost always offer to hold the flag.  Most ROs at the same do the same for me..  

Courtsey abounds at Rio. 

Except for that Andy guy... :devil:

2 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Sometimes I watch new PCC shooters, and wonder if I was the only one who practiced flag manipulation and loading/unloading at home before I brought a rifle to a match.

Might be a locality thing. The only pcc shooters I know of that haven't got self flagging figured out are the brand new ones. 

4 hours ago, davsco said:

i'd rather the shooter focus on remaining safe and getting his run on, vs taking his eyes and his mind off the gun while trying to find a place for the flag.  same at the end of the run.  just like the pistol guys that are more concerned about finding and picking up their ejected round than getting their gun back in the holster safely.  when i'm the RO i think it's my job to make it easy and safer for the shooter.

I agree... after all .. isn't this suppose to be a fun sport  ?.. 

14 minutes ago, cecil said:

I agree... after all .. isn't this suppose to be a fun sport  ?.. 

It is more fun when folks come prepared, nothing wrong with patience for some fumbling around by new shooters though. 

On 7/11/2019 at 4:18 PM, Mcfoto said:

Just being a rules Nazi here:

The command is "make ready."

8.3.1 “Make Ready” –– This command signifies the start of “the Course of Fire”

We were taught in RO class to only use the EXACT commands. So there is no "load and make ready" or "shooter ready."

Rant over.

I ran into a similar "rules Nazi" at a local steel challenge match a couple of years ago..  The guy acting as RO (we RO for each other at these matches) said "Load and make ready" and was immediately corrected by another shooter who proceeded to give us all a business card with the "proper commands" spelled out in exact detail.   

Seriously, I was told that the commands were simplified and standardized because IPSC and other speed games are shot internationally and not all competitors have a full grasp of English.  The current commands use as few words as possible to avoid mis-understanding.

3 hours ago, SteelCityShooter said:

I ran into a similar "rules Nazi" at a local steel challenge match a couple of years ago..  The guy acting as RO (we RO for each other at these matches) said "Load and make ready" and was immediately corrected by another shooter who proceeded to give us all a business card with the "proper commands" spelled out in exact detail.   

Seriously, I was told that the commands were simplified and standardized because IPSC and other speed games are shot internationally and not all competitors have a full grasp of English.  The current commands use as few words as possible to avoid mis-understanding.

While all of that is true, I believe “load and” got dropped because of unloaded starts.

Right front pocket. Like others mentioned, I clear everything else out prior. It's not the RO's job to help me prep my firearm during make ready and I don't ask them to. However, some guys will try to be helpful and reach for the flag. In that case I just let them and say thank you. 

It's faster and safer when the RO helps, which is the norm in 3-gun. In USPSA, I recognize that having long guns is relatively new to some, so I just flag and unflag myself and stick it in my back pocket unless the RO offers to help. I use flags from Plugr, so the flag part usually sticks out of my pocket and is easy to grab.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Rounding this back to my original question about non-pocket ways to carry my flag here is the answer du jour.  I first tried the belt magnet from my Open rig but I forgot how strong that dang thing is.  After I had my wife and a friend pry me off of the refrigerator I got stuck to I went to a 1.25" rare earth magnet with a predrilled hole.  Drilled my belt, bolted it on and I think I have a winner.  As long as that ring is touching the magnet at all it isn't coming off without some intent.  Thanks for the help gents.  

Edited by Neomet
photo didn't load