Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 45 shooters

usmc1974

I was just wondering if people still shooting 1911 45 I see a whole bunch of all kinds new custom 1911 45's for outrageous prices do people really compete with them? still just wondering thanks B

Edited by usmc1974

I was just wondering if people still shooting 1911 45 I see a whole bunch of all kinds new custom 1911 45's for outrageous prices do people really compete with them? still just wondering thanks B
the participation isn't that great in single stack anymore but for those that do major power factor is still winning at the highest levels. I personally have a Trojan in .40 which I use in major8d40584af271980185a80dc456326b66.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The main “heat “ in single stack is the annual single stack classic, and the yearly nationals. The classic match has a sort of prestige as it attracts the top level shooters and all they concentrate on is ss for it. The nationals are mostly used as a “prematch” for limited, or to make the trip worthwhile by getting to shoot twice. Other than that, it’s a dying division, but very fun. So the short answer is no. Not a whole lot of people are getting 1911’s for competition unless they’re going to the classic or nationals, or live in a state with a capacity limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The main “heat “ in single stack is the annual single stack classic, and the yearly nationals. The classic match has a sort of prestige as it attracts the top level shooters and all they concentrate on is ss for it. The nationals are mostly used as a “prematch” for limited, or to make the trip worthwhile by getting to shoot twice. Other than that, it’s a dying division, but very fun. So the short answer is no. Not a whole lot of people are getting 1911’s for competition unless they’re going to the classic or nationals, or live in a state with a capacity limit.

[emoji22][emoji22] sadly the 1911 Society disbanded last year and there is no more Single Stack Classic in Pasa Park.

[emoji22][emoji22] sadly the 1911 Society disbanded last year and there is no more Single Stack Classic in Pasa Park.

Well, crap. I’d figure USPSA would pick the match up since it has been one of the more notable matches for competitive shooters...that’s sad

Well, crap. I’d figure USPSA would pick the match up since it has been one of the more notable matches for competitive shooters...that’s sad

I was gathering equipment to follow in that match this year. There was talk of other clubs possibly taking it over across the nation but nothing yet. fingers crossed

All I own are single stack 1911s in .45 and I'm in my late 20's (seems like the majority shooting 1911s are older guys). I love the platform and like the challenge of increased reloads and prefer the feel of .45 recoil to all others.

Locally most of the Single stack shooters I see are running 9mm minor, but those running major are mostly 45s. (last match had 6 shooters 4 Minor 2 Major)

I see guys using everything from $400 RIA's to $4,000 Atlas and everything in between. 

SS is a small division but it compares with Production so well just combine the divisions in Practiscore Competitor to see how you did with more competition.

9 hours ago, AF2010 said:

All I own are single stack 1911s in .45 and I'm in my late 20's (seems like the majority shooting 1911s are older guys). I love the platform and like the challenge of increased reloads and prefer the feel of .45 recoil to all others.

8 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

Locally most of the Single stack shooters I see are running 9mm minor, but those running major are mostly 45s. (last match had 6 shooters 4 Minor 2 Major)

SS is a small division but it compares with Production so well just combine the divisions in Practiscore Competitor to see how you did with more competition.

I wish SS was more popular, but I'm part of the reason it isn't by often shooting Production for the extra competition.  I also think it's totally valid to compare your SS scores to the Production guys.

Lots of local matches are built around 10-round arrays so minor usually plays better in the stage breakdown. I suspect major has the advantage in classifiers though.

Generally speaking, about 6% of the shooters at the matches I go to shoot SS.  About 60% of them are shooting minor.  Personally, I think SS major is harder than Production.  SS minor is essentially the same.

BTW, about six months ago I finished a fully custom 1911 45 build.  I use it for lots of competitions, but not for USPSA.

Edited by zzt

I love shooting SS minor and crushing guys who think they can buy speed.  One of they guys I shoot with just bought a SVI limited gun and told me how with his new gun he will finely get me this year.

I love SS and have been using a Wilson in .45 auto for the last 10 years. I’ve got Tim Graves making me a full house custom in .45 currently. I really don’t have any interest in shooting SS minor in matches, it’s basically production at that point, but with a more awesomer blaster.  I’ll probably end up with a 1911 in 9mm at some point (my Agency is going to 9mm so there should be some training ammo available), it makes sense to have one around.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a SSTK lover...  I started my USPSA out with a .45  made a ton of mistakes and ended up with a couple of .40's and a 9mm.  I'm going back to .45...  my advice for 45

Dawson ICE

Wilson ETM mags

run a 230grain round nose... they feed beautifully

stick with the same load...  I personally love Vit

Tim Herron is the expert here... and is typically always willing to chat about it.  

I screwed around with 40 for a while and had tons of mag issues..  If I only shot 3 rounds or so the mag would stick.  Never had this issue with 45.  just my 2 cents. 

Of all the 1911s I've owned, single and double stack, 9mm, 10mm, .40, .38s and .45, comped and not, and all the other variations, my .45s are still king of the hill. They are the most comfortable to shoot. They just feel right when I squeeze the trigger. And comfortable means consistent, which translates to speed and accuracy. Love my full race .38s, but if I had to choose I'd take the .45 any day. 

We have a SS/revolver match once a month here in the Houston area that attracts 50 plus shooters and a couple of revolver guys. We all love it, kind of fun to have the match set up to be SS friendly. Gives us a chance to drag out the 9/.45 SS that sit in the safe or we carry and have fun. 

gerritm

Until last year I shot either SS or Limited 10 (I admit it), but since ye ol eyeballs are getting fuzzier by the hour, I moved to Carry Optics. I shot nothing but the .45 in both divisions, and really miss the L10 class. This year I went to Mesa in Feb and shot their SS Desert Classic match, which turned out to be a blast. 

What really sucked was flying from a frozen MT to enjoy a sunny warm three days in Mesa, where it SNOWED..........

In the frozen north we are seeing a mini comeback of the SS division, so out comes the Kimber to blaze away.

I used to shoot 45 1911 SS all the time. Switched to Glocks for a while but now am getting out the 45 SS again. A nice feature of the 1911 SS is you can put a 22 top end on it for added fun. Works great for rimfire Steel Challenge.

I think it'll come back. I shot a .45 in IDPA and USPSA for 12 years.  I switched to a Glock for Production and enjoy it.

However, I remember how the sport began, with the 1911. That was all I knew when I was a beginner.

A 1911 has 17 rds. available with one reload.  As soon as the high rd. count bulls#!t stops it will come back.

As long as we have the silly high round count stages SS will continue to decline. Revolver is almost dead because of this current situation in stage design. But the governing bodies do have to take into account all the plastic high cap guns being made and used these days. Its an economic decision that has to happen based on the reality of the market. 

I don't see why the high round count stages would have an effect on SS popularity.  I would much rather shoot 32 round stages no matter what division I'm shooting.  It is especially fun with a SS.  I liked WSSSC much better a few years ago when they had longer stages.  In the last few years they made them lower round count like SS Nationals.  High Cap guns are just whats popular now.

A small majority of SS shooters in my area shoot minor, so it's essentially the same as shooting Production.  I don't hear Production shooters complaining about long stages.  I don't hear SS major shooters complaining either.

I don’t think the popularity of “high capacity” divisions and high round count stages are related, at least where I tend to shoot. 

High round count stages are popular because people like to shoot a lot, and if you’re limited to only a set number of bays,  increasing the round count per stage is the easiest way to up the overall amount of shooting. 

Limited and Open have been around the longest, and have for a long time been considered the “most competitive” division where there’s usually a lot of heat. Carry Optics and PCC are the new and different, so it makes sense that they’d be popular.

Production is still pretty popular locally as well. 

Single Stack is generally going to be less popular, but I think it’s less due to capacity than due to the fact that fewer guns can be used in the division. Single stack minor and Production are essentially equivalent, but you see a lot more Production shooters because more people have guns that fit into Production. 

For what it’s worth, our last local had

19 Limited

18 Production

12 PCC

10 Open

5 Carry Optics

4 Single Stack

https://practiscore.com/results/new/78817

A very popular SS/Production only match that sells out crazy fast. Interesting to look at SS major vs minor and SS versus production, it is very much a run and gun style match (note the low # of Mikes and high hit factors) which may effect results and selection of whether to bring your 45 or your 9. One thing I love about SS is that there really is a legitimate choice I think. 

17 minutes ago, DKorn said:

I don’t think the popularity of “high capacity” divisions and high round count stages are related, at least where I tend to shoot. 

Maybe it influences which divisions people get started in? Revolver/Production/SS shooters that I know of seem to enjoy big stages as much as anybody else , but if you were picking a division as a newer shooter maybe the extra stage planning & reloading challenges would turn you away?