Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers

Glock17open

4 hours ago, muncie21 said:

Not sure I'm understanding the implied cause/effect relationship.  The hardness/softness of the primer material should not be affecting the velocity/power of the bullet, or is it? 

If two primers produced the same velocity load, what difference does it make what the primer 'looks like' (within reason) provided it doesn't deform to the extent it causes other issues?  Just curious, not wanting to derail the thread or start an argument.

BTW, I use SPP mostly CCI and S&B for production and limited.  I have some Winchester SPPs but they don't seem to play nice with my vibraprime unit.

No you’re right, it doesn’t effect the velocity or anything. Federal ars so soft that even below major velocity the primers get incredibly flat. The problem I see is you can’t get an accurate reading of pressure signs. Here’s what they look like at about 1250fps, 124g bullet so 155 pf. These things look like the load is dangerously over pressure, but there not. Because the next pictures is the same load but with  Federal SRP, then below that is win small pistol.  And they look totally fine. So my problem with the fed spp is there’s really no way to gauge pressure. It doesn’t get any flatter then this, so there’s no way to tell when pressure increase from here. Typically with primers that arent this soft you can slowly see the pressure going up, primers gradually get flatter etc among other things. I’d never get to a change where they look like this with other primers. 

But l agree with you that it doesn’t matter if they look like this, since I know the load isnt way over pressure, which is why I’m going to use them up and not worry about it. But I’ll buy federal SRP from now on. I always work up with either fed srp or win spp or rifle. This way I can actually watch for pressure. Once I confirm the load is safe I’ll use these spp. 

98D74047-5D09-4FA8-B5C2-4164163922E0.jpeg

2C670DE3-A686-4F9A-AB66-8ECBE3C55702.jpeg

995A320B-6BA3-4333-838F-78C9CFCB091B.jpeg

Edited by Jfitz427

update after a trip to the range, I shot three different primers with not real difference in velosity I used cci, Winchester spm, and s&b Sr. I shot 125 blue bullet 6.8 grns of WAC All Winchester brass. My average velocity was 1420 which I feel was a bit much so so I will back down on the powder.  Thanks gun worked flawlessly. CK Arms open gun!

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2022 at 11:44 PM, CalTeacher said:

That has to be one of the more cringy channels on YT

Haha.  Thanks.  I know, not everyone is open minded.  Its not for everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

I just snagged some of the last batch of Ginex SRP's up here. Price wasn't great but you know the next import will be higher.  I didn't really need them but my horizon has now been extended 3yrs out.  Things are going to get bad everywhere.

3 hours ago, orangeman711 said:

Winchester small rifle for all my small primer needs. 9 major, minor, 40cal major and minor.

any tricks to finding win srp???  i bought 1k off of midway last week and that's all i've seen in over a year.  not too hard to find fed, cci, etc.

I have never used Wolf but other than that I have shot all brands including Fiochi which no one has mentioned. I have used small pistol, small pistol magnum, small rifle, and small rifle magnum in 6 CZ's, 3 Atlas Nemesis, and 4 Open 2011's (one old STI and three new ones from Venom and D2C).

Thousands of rounds and never had primer fail to go off. All the guns have extended firing pins and very light triggers.

I have 7k+ of wolf srm and s&b srm they are not reliably ignited in my open guns or any other striker or hammer fired pistol so they are ar only. 

Edited by Acsr
Spelling

The old Tula/Wolf seemed to expand primer pockets more than I'd like, but worked ok in my Open guns.  Years ago some Magtechs had a 2/1000 failure rate for me which was very unusual.

Opinions vary about rifle primers for major loads.  Some people say they handle the pressure better, some people say there's more breechface erosion since it takes them longer to seal.  Slides are wear items so I don't care that much.

Velocity-wise it's pretty much a don't-care.  Powder lots will vary more than nearly any primer.

1 hour ago, shred said:

The old Tula/Wolf seemed to expand primer pockets more than I'd like, but worked ok in my Open guns.  Years ago some Magtechs had a 2/1000 failure rate for me which was very unusual.

Opinions vary about rifle primers for major loads.  Some people say they handle the pressure better, some people say there's more breechface erosion since it takes them longer to seal.  Slides are wear items so I don't care that much.

Velocity-wise it's pretty much a don't-care.  Powder lots will vary more than nearly any primer.

Yep I had the same experience with the old magtechs in my open gun (but they were 100%in my AR so they weren't  bad... Just too hard to use in a pistol.