Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers

Glock17open

I just moved from a Glock to a 2011, so of course I had a huge stash of federal primers. I won’t be buying more of the regular small pistol after the 8k I have left run out. They’re to soft for 9 major. Primer gets totally flattened, and with fed SRP or even win Spp they look great. And this is With a load that’s like 100 FPS under major too. Same load that used to make major in my g34. I’d buy fed srp if I could find them. Then either win or cci. 

15 hours ago, Glock17open said:

Do you get much variation in velosity, with the different brand of primers

S&B pistol primers I get about 4-5 PF lower in my 9mm major load. It surprised me cause I use them a lot in 40 major loads.

Generally use Fed sRp, or CCI spp primers for open major.

But in times of need I've used every spp or srp available.

I've used and still use S&B SPP, Winchester SPP, Winchester SPM, CCI SPP, Federal SPM, Federal SRP.  All hit with a trimmed 17 lbf main spring.

Only primer issues I've ever had was a Win that refused to go off and a batch of Win SPM's that were ultra soft and liked to flatten and pierce to no short term ill effects other than a scary looking primer

17 hours ago, Jfitz427 said:

I won’t be buying more of the regular small pistol after the 8k I have left run out. They’re to soft for 9 major. Primer gets totally flattened, and with fed SRP or even win Spp they look great.

Not sure I'm understanding the implied cause/effect relationship.  The hardness/softness of the primer material should not be affecting the velocity/power of the bullet, or is it? 

If two primers produced the same velocity load, what difference does it make what the primer 'looks like' (within reason) provided it doesn't deform to the extent it causes other issues?  Just curious, not wanting to derail the thread or start an argument.

BTW, I use SPP mostly CCI and S&B for production and limited.  I have some Winchester SPPs but they don't seem to play nice with my vibraprime unit.

Edited by muncie21