RIA VR80 coming in 2019

Rudukai13

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Truckin_Thumper said:

thanks! 
Will it have any issues without the bolt catch? 

All my AR experience tells me NO 
if it runs with out it and no issues, then I will just forget it...LOL 

Haven’t needed it, plus i saved a lot of blood.

On 10/16/2020 at 2:05 PM, 021411 said:

Just picked up a VR80. I apologize for not browsing all 65 pages but are certain AR parts compatible with the VR80? I would like to swap out the safety selector to a short throw one. 

Tim at Taccom has the only short throw for the VR right now. With his lever it works fine.

1 hour ago, 021411 said:

Anyone recommend Triangle Shooting Sports for their VR80 tuning package? You can reply or send me a PM. 

Im biased,  cause my wife works there.. But he dont ship them back till they run 100%

• 2 weeks later...

Just got a Typhoon F12 a couple weeks ago and I'm about 250 rounds into it is all. It ran 1250fps Estates right off the bat so I haven't bothered to run anything heavier - about 150 of those. It would just about run 1145fps as it got dirtier, but not 100%. I got a #31 drill bit that miked .113 and it would nearly fit into the factory gas ports so I figured it was a good starting point. That cleared out some burrs and maybe opened the ports ever so slightly. It's running 1145fps shells right now. It needs lots more shooting but after 4 or 5 magazines of 9 rounds back to back without a hiccup, signs are pointing in the right direction at least. Mine is marked "Model 12.1" and has much improved welds on the bolt carrier/action arms than pictures I have seen of earlier ones. Next club match is next weekend, so we'll see how it fares when the gremlins are out.

TyphoonF12_FabDefense_Bushnellsmall.jpg.f30da7ef750c6e34b1c145d40debc1b5.jpg

Edited by cityofthesouth

2 hours ago, cityofthesouth said:

Just got a Typhoon F12 a couple weeks ago and I'm about 250 rounds into it is all. It ran 1250fps Estates right off the bat so I haven't bothered to run anything heavier - about 150 of those. It would just about run 1145fps as it got dirtier, but not 100%. I got a #31 drill bit that miked .113 and it would nearly fit into the factory gas ports so I figured it was a good starting point. That cleared out some burrs and maybe opened the ports ever so slightly. It's running 1145fps shells right now. It needs lots more shooting but after 4 or 5 magazines of 9 rounds back to back without a hiccup, signs are pointing in the right direction at least. Mine is marked "Model 12.1" and has much improved welds on the bolt carrier/action arms than pictures I have seen of earlier ones. Next club match is next weekend, so we'll see how it fares when the gremlins are out.

TyphoonF12_FabDefense_Bushnellsmall.jpg.f30da7ef750c6e34b1c145d40debc1b5.jpg

What magazines fit the Typhoon and who stocks them? 

4 minutes ago, The Donald said:

What magazines fit the Typhoon and who stocks them? 

VR80 (and whatever else). Come out of the same factory from my understanding. I ordered the 9 and 19 from Advanced Tactical. Typhoon I think sells them as well, and they list them as 10 and 20 round, but they want about double for them. Maybe that extra is for the helmet and F12 marking on the side, maybe they sell them at MSRP. I can only assume they put a shorter floor plate in them to get 10 and 20 rounds vs 9 and 19. From what I gather, most people just cut the spring guide/floor plate down for the extra round.

I've had this gun for quite a while, but I'm just now starting to modify it. I'm looking to pick up a pistol grip. What would you guys recommend? I'd like something that's rubberized, and still trying to decide whether or not to go with beaver tail. If I do go that route, is there a certain one that would mount with no gap? The other thing I'm looking for is a short M Lok rail that'll allow me to attach a foregrip to the bottom of the handguard.

1 hour ago, stevedensmore said:

I've had this gun for quite a while, but I'm just now starting to modify it. I'm looking to pick up a pistol grip. What would you guys recommend? I'd like something that's rubberized, and still trying to decide whether or not to go with beaver tail. If I do go that route, is there a certain one that would mount with no gap? The other thing I'm looking for is a short M Lok rail that'll allow me to attach a foregrip to the bottom of the handguard.

No idea what is best but after so many years of running AR-type things with the beaver tail I'm not sure I'd like shooting something without it. Guys at my club just run their preferred grip with the gap which is what I would do too. Mine came with the one you see on it which has the angle I like, and the beaver tail. Normally I just avoid finger groove grips because sometimes they work for me, sometimes they don't, but this one feels great so I'm gonna leave it. You could possibly see if you could order one from Typhoon. I run a K2 on everything else and they make a rubberized one, so if I had to change mine, that's probably where I would gravitate, gap or not.

5 hours ago, DaneSizemore said:

Just got my VR80 and I'm going to the range soon. My question is about the chokes... Do I need to have one in to shoot? I'm new to the shotgun... Also what type of ammo should I use to break this bad boy in? I know anything over 1300...  

Yeah you should just to avoid shooting through bare threads.

On 10/28/2020 at 11:08 AM, stevedensmore said:

I put an Ergo I had laying around on mine. Beaver tail, no gap. Works well. 

Just go to Ergo grip website and click on the AR grip section. They only used to make one style when I bought mine, now they have colors, thumb rests, etc. Most all of them are variations of the original with the beaver tail and should fit the same.

Edited by IHMSA15151

• 2 weeks later...

I have a group of friends who change shooting hobbies like underwear!  Looking to join them on the tactical shotgun range.  Doing this for FUN!  Not really looking to layout for a $2,000 Benelli, although I guess I can be talked into it.  

Question, can I just pick up the VR80 and have fun?  i.e., after break in, and with proper care, with I be frustrated with constant jams?  

Also, I've notice the black model with a shorter handguard vs. varies colored options with a longer handguard.  Any real difference?

Thanks,

Pete

Just an observation. I do not shoot the VR80, but in our 3-gun/UML & shotgun matches locally there are about 4 or 5 guys who have the colored model with longer handguards. They are not modified and once they found the right ammo that the gun likes and mags that work seem to be pretty reliable. Most have been shooting the 1250fps Win AA that have a hard smooth case. Seems to feed the best.

gerritm