Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIA VR80 coming in 2019

Rudukai13

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is our new to us VR80 with the following mods. Taccom extended bolt, mag release, buffer, comp, T&N Flat trigger, & Advance Tactical mag well. Initial testing & zero ran 1145 & 1200FPS Win AA. Zero @ 50 yards Fiocchi low and medium recoil slugs out of my old T&N tuned mags perfect. Put an RTS2 6moa optic on it. Have a couple of 3-gun & shotgun matches coming up to really test. My granddaughter will be shooting it.

gerritm

vr80.jpg

vr801.jpg

9 hours ago, gerritm said:

Here is our new to us VR80 with the following mods. Taccom extended bolt, mag release, buffer, comp, T&N Flat trigger, & Advance Tactical mag well. Initial testing & zero ran 1145 & 1200FPS Win AA. Zero @ 50 yards Fiocchi low and medium recoil slugs out of my old T&N tuned mags perfect. Put an RTS2 6moa optic on it. Have a couple of 3-gun & shotgun matches coming up to really test. My granddaughter will be shooting it.

gerritm

vr80.jpg

vr801.jpg

Crazy how the Dissident Falling Steel match quickly turned into a shotgun match. I'm one of the few holdouts not shooting a shotgun on the 17th.  

12 hours ago, 021411 said:

Crazy how the Dissident Falling Steel match quickly turned into a shotgun match. I'm one of the few holdouts not shooting a shotgun on the 17th.  

We shot PCC last time, but running out of pistol/pcc ammo so still plenty of shotgun shells still available. Besides shooting steel with a shotgun is a blast.

gerritm

2 hours ago, gerritm said:

We shot PCC last time, but running out of pistol/pcc ammo so still plenty of shotgun shells still available. Besides shooting steel with a shotgun is a blast.

gerritm

I totally agree with this 

• 2 weeks later...

My granddaughter ran the new to us VR80 in the Dissident falling steel match. After sorting out a few problems with my old MKA mags that would not seat. We used a couple of 19 round RIA and my old Firebird mags, it ran perfect rest of the day. Screwed her on the first stage of the day. Used 1145 & 1200 Winn AA. Gun was super soft and we were surprised how fast she ran the trigger. Softer than my MKA.

She is still having problems seating the reload mag. Download it several rounds. Her hands aren't big enough. Working on a reloading techniques to help.

Great new match, going to get better and will be a regular monthly match.

gerritm

8 hours ago, gerritm said:

My granddaughter ran the new to us VR80 in the Dissident falling steel match. After sorting out a few problems with my old MKA mags that would not seat. We used a couple of 19 round RIA and my old Firebird mags, it ran perfect rest of the day. Screwed her on the first stage of the day. Used 1145 & 1200 Winn AA. Gun was super soft and we were surprised how fast she ran the trigger. Softer than my MKA.

She is still having problems seating the reload mag. Download it several rounds. Her hands aren't big enough. Working on a reloading techniques to help.

Great new match, going to get better and will be a regular monthly match.

gerritm

It was a fun match. I like that it moves quick and finished before noon. I should be getting my VR80 back from Hayes hopefully by the March match. Need to give it a shakedown before Texas 3 gun championship. 

Yes it was and with all the options to shoot if gives you a choice to shoot what you have the most ammo. Sounds like with future plans it is only going to get better.

I bought this one already built. Did a good job judging on how it ran. If I bought one that was not done already I was going to send it to Hayes. Should get yours back in plenty of time. Figured out how to fix my old mags so they seat. Always good to have a 24 rounder in the mix.

gerritm

Just got notice yesterday that RIA has new addition to the V80 line called the VR82....a new scaled down shotgun in 20 ga...new for this year.  Looking at the 20 ga means just going from the 1 1/8 oz to 1 oz. for youth and those of slight build and us older gentlemen....the weight empty is at 7.5 lbs.   They are advertising 5, 10 and 19 round magazines.  Right now there is no stock in at any of the dealers listed.

15 hours ago, dwzuspsa said:

Just got notice yesterday that RIA has new addition to the V80 line called the VR82....a new scaled down shotgun in 20 ga...new for this year.  Looking at the 20 ga means just going from the 1 1/8 oz to 1 oz. for youth and those of slight build and us older gentlemen....the weight empty is at 7.5 lbs.   They are advertising 5, 10 and 19 round magazines.  Right now there is no stock in at any of the dealers listed.

I wish they could keep up on the VR80's. Some came into Grab A Gun yesterday, all sold in under an hour.

On 2/22/2020 at 2:10 PM, Nelsonh said:

Here are a few photos of what I have done with adding a bottom rail/ heat shield and drilling holes in the top of the hand guard to dissipate the heat.

Can you tell me where you got the rail section?  I can't seem to find one that has both a flat base to sit flush on the handguard, plus properly sized (5.25mm) slots to fit a true picatinny mount accessory.  Thanks.

Has anyone else noticed (and been annoyed) that the Picatinny rail on the VR80 is not to spec?  A proper pic rail has slots that are 5.25mm front-to-back, and 10mm center-to-center.  The VR80's slots measure in the 4.8mm range on my caliper.

This isn't a problem for optics that are made to fit thinner Weaver slots or Picatinny, but I'm trying to fit a SureFire M640 whose mount measures 5.25mm.

Anyone know a good way of widening the slot?  Or starting a campaign to demand that Derya/Armscor/RIA supply a handguard that's properly spec'd?

22 hours ago, musicmax said:

Has anyone else noticed (and been annoyed) that the Picatinny rail on the VR80 is not to spec?  A proper pic rail has slots that are 5.25mm front-to-back, and 10mm center-to-center.  The VR80's slots measure in the 4.8mm range on my caliper.

This isn't a problem for optics that are made to fit thinner Weaver slots or Picatinny, but I'm trying to fit a SureFire M640 whose mount measures 5.25mm.

Anyone know a good way of widening the slot?  Or starting a campaign to demand that Derya/Armscor/RIA supply a handguard that's properly spec'd?

I discovered this in the parking lot an hour before a night match when I tried to slap the light on. The file on my Leatherman solved the problem in 5 min. I bet you could do better with a better file and not in the dark in the back of the car. Widen the slot just a touch.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2021 at 5:33 PM, BoyGlock said:

Has anybody lightened the gun? Quite heavy for my taste to compete with. 

I haven’t really thought much about weight reduction. Saving a few ounces here and there won’t make much difference when you hang a magazine off the bottom with almost a box of 12ga. Shot shells in it.

Finally got everything done for next season. Until something breaks or I come across something that I absolutely have to try. 😄

Turns out that no gunsmith in Finland was interested in making 30° port holes so i had to come up with something on my own. Also i was fortunate enough to buy a new barrel from a friend because our importer kept on sending the wrong barrel. I will probably post a video about the new colors next week.

• 3 weeks later...

vr80 922r

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings

yes: upper reciever

(2) Barrels

yes

(3) Barrel extensions

yes

(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)

no. don't think this applies barrel mounts directly to upper although I could be missing something here.

(5) Muzzle attachments

no, unless using ria aftermarket compensator.

(6) Bolts

yes

(7) Bolt carriers

yes

(8) Operating rods

yes, should be the cocking handle 

(9) Gas pistons

yes

(10) Trigger housings

yes, lower receiver

(11) Triggers

yes

(12) Hammers

yes

(13) Sears

no

(14) Disconnectors

yes

(15) Buttstocks

yes

(16) Pistol grips

no

(17) Forearms, handguards

yes, has both parts listed in manual as separate items. 

(18) Magazine bodies

yes

(19) Followers

yes

(20) Floorplates

yes

In stock configuration I would guess 16 foreign parts.

I have no way to confirm this as 100% reliable but seems like a good start.  I just looking at this in the assumption that changing parts by a owner of the foreign firearm is a violation of 922r.

what can be changed?

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings

(2) Barrels

(3) Barrel extensions

(5) Muzzle attachments

(6) Bolts

(7) Bolt carriers

-1 (8) Operating rods

yes, new charging handle made in usa

(9) Gas pistons

(10) Trigger housings

-1(11) Triggers

yes

-1(12) Hammers

yes

-1(14) Disconnectors

yes

-1(15) Buttstocks and (16) Pistol grips

yes, changing stock thumbhole stock to ar type with pistol grip will remove 1 foreign part.

-1(17) Forearms, handguards

yes

(18) Magazine bodies

(19) Followers

-1(20) Floorplates

yes and no, extended floorplates but I would not use this option for parts count do to cost and accidentally installing factor mag.

It would look like changing these parts would be the way to go now and are available made in usa.

charging handle

trigger

hammer

disconnector

stock and pistol grip

forearm and handguard or mag floorplates

another good option would be the gas piston but not aware of any being  produced.  this would allow the use of any 2 out of three, stock hand guard, stock mag floorplates or ria compensator. 

Edited by WTP