Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIA VR80 coming in 2019

Rudukai13

Ok new to the VR80, and whew 64 pages was a long read in one sitting.

I’ve owned this thing for about a month. Put about 200 rounds of Remington Express XLR 2 3/4, 1 1/4 ounce 5 shot through it box is marked 1330 fps. Several boxes of 3 inch federal steel shot marked at 1550 FPS. All with the light load piston and even after extensive cleaning it will not cycle anything lighter than the express xlr listed above.

It feeds ok, but but won’t cycle far enough back to eject the loads.

I think it should be about broke in shouldn’t it?

The gas ports feel smooth, a light in the bore makes them look clean. The action feels smooth to the hand cycling. And I’ve never had this much trouble breaking in an auto loader...

take note it is all stock, no cut springs, no drilled gas ports ect.

And believe me I’m getting crazy jealous of the videos all over the web of guys shooting brand new VR’s and saying they cycle anything.

I’m debating on drilling the ports as mentioned a few pages back, but it seems a little hash to make this thing cycle when everybody else is having such luck with theirs.

So to the folks having such luck with theirs, what might I be missing?

I’m headed back to page one just to see if I missed something already in print and if I don’t find anything out comes the drill bits.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, JasonMalone said:

Ok new to the VR80, and whew 64 pages was a long read in one sitting.

I’ve owned this thing for about a month. Put about 200 rounds of Remington Express XLR 2 3/4, 1 1/4 ounce 5 shot through it box is marked 1330 fps. Several boxes of 3 inch federal steel shot marked at 1550 FPS. All with the light load piston and even after extensive cleaning it will not cycle anything lighter than the express xlr listed above.

It feeds ok, but but won’t cycle far enough back to eject the loads.

I think it should be about broke in shouldn’t it?

The gas ports feel smooth, a light in the bore makes them look clean. The action feels smooth to the hand cycling. And I’ve never had this much trouble breaking in an auto loader...

take note it is all stock, no cut springs, no drilled gas ports ect.

And believe me I’m getting crazy jealous of the videos all over the web of guys shooting brand new VR’s and saying they cycle anything.

I’m debating on drilling the ports as mentioned a few pages back, but it seems a little hash to make this thing cycle when everybody else is having such luck with theirs.

So to the folks having such luck with theirs, what might I be missing?

I’m headed back to page one just to see if I missed something already in print and if I don’t find anything out comes the drill bits.

So i had a similar experience when i first got mine.  Here is what i did.  Mine was nearly impossible to get the bolt to lock back.  It took a ridiculous amount of force.  I ended up unscrewing the buffer tube several turns to give the buffer more room to work before the spring coils bottomed out.  Afterwards,  my gun would lock the bolt back much easier and seemed to cycle a greater variety of loads.  Not saying this is the cure all but it is a free fix to try.  Good luck.

4 hours ago, JasonMalone said:

I’ll give it a try thanks for the response

Does your bolt lock back? Can you manually rack and eject shells? If so, I would say that the problem is on the front end, not the back end. I assume you “cleaned” the hell out of “everything”? Did you check the piston itself to make sure there wasn’t any debris blocking the spiral cut on it? Likewise, chips/debris in the gas ports aren’t as easily spotted as you’d think. Run something through the ports to make sure nothing is clinging to the sides. If you still find nothing, keep shooting it. Break in is totally different for everyone. Let us know how it goes. 

Cleaned the hell out of it is an understatement. And yes I can easily rack the bolt and have it lock open. By hand it feeds and ejects as it should. And functions on 3 inch high speed steel as it should. The piston is clean and debris free.  Last night I picked up another 100 3 inch shells and 25 more rounds of high velocity buckshot.. I’ll try beating it up again in the next few days. 

My new VR is doing the same. I’ve only ran 50 rounds of Suprema 1315fps. bird shot and 10 Remington Sluggers through it, but every round has been bolt action. I’ve got a couple 308 buffer springs coming, and will open up the gas ports with a #32 bit tomorrow. See if that helps. 

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, JasonMalone said:

I’m 300 shells into break in and something is definitely wrong. High brass 3 inch stuff is flawless. Nothing 2 3/4 ejects. I’m running the light piston. I hate the idea of drilling the ports.

Take a look at the ports.  If they look anything like mine, when you finish retching from the ragged, irregular, mis-match sized holes that look like they were made with 3 different sized broken drill bits, take a .112" drill bit/ream and uniform the holes.  Clean off all the burrs and that will probably fix the majority of your issues.

Nolan

• 2 weeks later...

Had an opportunity to attend a L1 competition with the shotgun. Buckshot started it's undergassed tantrums again.

I tried to catch up with the leader on the slug stage and you know how that goes. Missed shots on steel and 1 mike on a paper target.

Better there than on Nationals i guess..

Tomorrows program: Testing out different buckshot cartridges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTPRWOn7Fno

Edited by Jaskajokunen
Grammar

On 6/1/2020 at 7:38 PM, dogtired said:

You could drill two opposing ports at a time.

That will be hard to do since there are only 3 ports and none are opposing.

Just drill or ream the ports to the factory dimension which is supposed to be .112" then remove any burrs inside and outside of the barrel.

Or send it to someone who will fix it by doing exactly that or opening them up even more.

I think they were .110.  The holes angle about 30 degrees away from the shooter.  
I bought the gun recently second hand, assuming he could not get it to run.

Edited by dogtired

21 minutes ago, dogtired said:

I think they were .110.  The holes angle about 30 degrees away from the shooter.  
I bought the gun recently second hand, assuming he could not get it to run.

Thank you. Interesting. My new barrel is on its's way. I'm a bit worried what it will look like and how the original gas system parts will fit on to it if there has been some drastic changes.

On 6/11/2020 at 9:28 PM, eddiel0w said:

Rock Island Armory VR80 New-Style Compensators

Hi - I have the Realtree Timber version with the barrel shroud. How can I put the comp on? Will it simply clamp on to the end of the shroud?

Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 9.21.31 PM.png

image711549-f3bac511d85de953718f490dc24adc85.jpg

No, it won't. You need this between your handguard and the comp: https://www.a3gmunitions.com/product/a3gmunitions-com-extended-handguard-adapter-for-the-ria-vr80/

31 minutes ago, dogtired said:

Remington STS has a rebate currently, good ammo with a stiffer hull.  

Are you getting the 1200 fps stuff to run well or are you running the hotter STS Nitro stuff? I tried initially after break in to run a box of 1200 fps federal and it did run without malfunction but the shells were barely making it out of the ejection port. I've got another 100 or so 1280 fps round through it since then but I haven't tried 1200 fps again. I was hoping with a few more slightly hotter rounds through it would help with the cycling on the 1200 fps stuff.