Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIA VR80 coming in 2019

Rudukai13

1 minute ago, Firebull said:

Hi,

I shoot the VR80 in the Open division and so far the gun has been 100% reliable for me (only ~800 rounds through the gun though).  Does anyone have a high round count VR80 and how has the gun held up?  Any broken parts?  Thanks.

2k plus  still going strong. nothing broken 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Firebull said:

Hi,

I shoot the VR80 in the Open division and so far the gun has been 100% reliable for me (only ~800 rounds through the gun though).  Does anyone have a high round count VR80 and how has the gun held up?  Any broken parts?  Thanks.

I've got about 5k rounds through it. Everything seems good to go

7 hours ago, Firebull said:

Thank you!  Someone posted barrel coating issues at 7k rounds so interested to know how common that is.

It was me. Forgot to add any pictures tough. It seems like the surface coating has melted/corroded. Pictures after about 2 weeks of last cleaning and after 400-500 rounds.

Enos_1.jpg

Enos_2.jpg

8 hours ago, Ming the Merciless said:

Are those pictures before or after shooting the black powder?

These are from about a month ago so before.

Yesterday i started cleaning the shotgun after about 300 rounds of smokeless and 15 rounds of black powder.

Nothing much different other than the comps needed a little cleaning and the gas puck looked like this. 😄

Also the shotgun smells like a used firework. 😀

Enos_4.jpg

On 4/1/2020 at 2:07 AM, Jaskajokunen said:

These are from about a month ago so before.

Yesterday i started cleaning the shotgun after about 300 rounds of smokeless and 15 rounds of black powder.

Nothing much different other than the comps needed a little cleaning and the gas puck looked like this. 😄

Also the shotgun smells like a used firework. 😀

Enos_4.jpg

Why Black Powder?  In a modern semi-auto that doesn't make much sense unless you are planning on making your own in prep for the apocalypse (maybe not a bad idea though).  

2 hours ago, pskys2 said:

Why Black Powder?  In a modern semi-auto that doesn't make much sense unless you are planning on making your own in prep for the apocalypse (maybe not a bad idea though).  

Betting for the visual effect (look back a page at the picture where it's fired with comp.)

Mostly because i wanted to capture on film how the midbarrel comp and muzzle brake function relative to each other. Black powder helps to bring out the flow patterns but my 60fps cameras are mostly too slow to get accurate details. I can see the pattern of the gasses clearly on the midbarrel comp. The gas impulse on the muzzle brake is so fast that it's hard to see whats going on.

Basically i'm just curios if is it worth it to have a muzzle brake or not. Added weight on the end of my barrel is not what i need. In my case about 90g (3.1oz).

Black powder cartridges are also cheaper than the fluid simulation license for SolidWorks. :D

5 hours ago, Jaskajokunen said:

Mostly because i wanted to capture on film how the midbarrel comp and muzzle brake function relative to each other. Black powder helps to bring out the flow patterns but my 60fps cameras are mostly too slow to get accurate details. I can see the pattern of the gasses clearly on the midbarrel comp. The gas impulse on the muzzle brake is so fast that it's hard to see whats going on.

Basically i'm just curios if is it worth it to have a muzzle brake or not. Added weight on the end of my barrel is not what i need. In my case about 90g (3.1oz).

Black powder cartridges are also cheaper than the fluid simulation license for SolidWorks. :D

I get you.  One of the things about a Compensator is the slower the powder, the more volume needed to make velocity equals more effectiveness.  

So it may be time to try to find the best loads, i.e. with slower powders.  

Another interesting thing about Comp's, at least in handguns, is many times a heavier load (higher Power Factor, more muzzle energy) equals less muzzle rise and most times with minimal increase in recoil.

8 hours ago, pskys2 said:

I get you.  One of the things about a Compensator is the slower the powder, the more volume needed to make velocity equals more effectiveness.  

So it may be time to try to find the best loads, i.e. with slower powders.  

Another interesting thing about Comp's, at least in handguns, is many times a heavier load (higher Power Factor, more muzzle energy) equals less muzzle rise and most times with minimal increase in recoil.

Of course. It is my understanding that it's not just about the volume of gas, it's also about the velocity of the gasses. At least my muzzle break works with slowing down the gas in a certain area that translates in to directional force. I used this manual to design it: https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/838748.pdf

The manual is for artillery pieces and tank cannons but i presume the same principles work in shotguns. 😀

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the video edited. My cameras are too slow to accurately capture what's going on. I feel like the mid-barrel comp is blowing gas a few frames longer than the muzzle brake.

If i get the new barrel next fall, i'm inclined to make the port holes larger but fewer and i should investigate if the port holes can be drilled in to a forward angle.

Happy easter everyone!

On 4/13/2020 at 10:16 AM, Jaskajokunen said:

Finally got the video edited. My cameras are too slow to accurately capture what's going on. I feel like the mid-barrel comp is blowing gas a few frames longer than the muzzle brake.

If i get the new barrel next fall, i'm inclined to make the port holes larger but fewer and i should investigate if the port holes can be drilled in to a forward angle.

Happy easter everyone!

WOW LUV IT!  Is that your own range, beautiful!

WOW LUV IT!  Is that your own range, beautiful!

Thank you. :) It's my former clubs Practical shooting range. There are 3 "pits" side by side. I still pay my membership fee and go shooting there but i represent a different club at matches.

4 hours ago, grottulf said:

How do you do when you clean your guns?
If I understand it correctly, you need to remove the handguard, gas system AND barrel, before you can remove the bolt carrier...?

Skickat från min SM-G950F via Tapatalk

Just as you said...remove it all. The gas piston is way worse than the barrel or bolt will be. The bcg comes through the front after the barrel is off. 

5 hours ago, grottulf said:

How do you do when you clean your guns?
If I understand it correctly, you need to remove the handguard, gas system AND barrel, before you can remove the bolt carrier...?

Yes, but it's very easy.  Unscrew the barrel nut with your hand, pull all the parts off, then loosen two hex screws. The whole thing takes about 60 seconds once you've done it a couple times.

Thanks for the input guys!
It felt a little strange that you have to remove the bolt forward, but I have realized that the gas system needs more cleaning, so it actually makes sense to disassemble the gun from the front and back.

I have also learned the the newer IPSC-versions of the Derya mk12, has a barrel nut instead of two hex screws for the barrel.

And that's the version I'm thinking about buying.

Skickat från min SM-G950F via Tapatalk