Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIA VR80 coming in 2019

Rudukai13

On 10/28/2020 at 10:56 AM, cityofthesouth said:

Just got a Typhoon F12 a couple weeks ago and I'm about 250 rounds into it is all. It ran 1250fps Estates right off the bat so I haven't bothered to run anything heavier - about 150 of those. It would just about run 1145fps as it got dirtier, but not 100%. I got a #31 drill bit that miked .113 and it would nearly fit into the factory gas ports so I figured it was a good starting point. That cleared out some burrs and maybe opened the ports ever so slightly. It's running 1145fps shells right now. It needs lots more shooting but after 4 or 5 magazines of 9 rounds back to back without a hiccup, signs are pointing in the right direction at least. Mine is marked "Model 12.1" and has much improved welds on the bolt carrier/action arms than pictures I have seen of earlier ones. Next club match is next weekend, so we'll see how it fares when the gremlins are out.

TyphoonF12_FabDefense_Bushnellsmall.jpg.f30da7ef750c6e34b1c145d40debc1b5.jpg

Quick update. Shot that club match I mentioned, 5 stages, all with shotgun, about 75-ish shells and a couple slugs. I used the Fiocchi low recoil slugs and 1145fps Estates - 100% for the day. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, cityofthesouth said:

Quick update. Shot that club match I mentioned, 5 stages, all with shotgun, about 75-ish shells and a couple slugs. I used the Fiocchi low recoil slugs and 1145fps Estates - 100% for the day. 

Do you mind sharing where you bought the slugs - everywhere around me and online that I've checked is sold out, and my indoor range only allows slugs.  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, new to this forum and much look forward to all your combined wisdom. Question. Just got VR80. Picking it up this week. Just realized that as an imported semiauto shotgun it is obviously covered by 922R. If it is, than not even talking of pg and stock swapping, just putting 9/10 round mag makes it already needing to be 922r compliant. Does anyone know which 10 parts from the list to keep and which to change? How many parts from the list does it have? Did anyone make it 922r compliant? Would much appreciate your shared knowledge

On 11/23/2020 at 1:11 AM, 9-12kit said:

Hi everyone, new to this forum and much look forward to all your combined wisdom. Question. Just got VR80. Picking it up this week. Just realized that as an imported semiauto shotgun it is obviously covered by 922R. If it is, than not even talking of pg and stock swapping, just putting 9/10 round mag makes it already needing to be 922r compliant. Does anyone know which 10 parts from the list to keep and which to change? How many parts from the list does it have? Did anyone make it 922r compliant? Would much appreciate your shared knowledge

If you actually read the law it says “replace with foreign parts” most if not all of the aftermarket parts for my VR80 are made in the US which are not an issue. Here’s a helpful article: https://gununiversity.com/922r-compliance/

Edited by IHMSA15151

Thanks for reply, IHMSA15151! As I understand it, aftermarket parts which are not on the list don’t matter, only parts from the list of 20 are relevant for 922r. Only 10 from the list can be on on a firearm if its converted from “sporting configuration”.  Which  is my question - does anybody know how many parts from that list of 20 are on VR80?

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings

(2) Barrels

(3) Barrel extensions

(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)

(5) Muzzle attachments

(6) Bolts

(7) Bolt carriers

(8) Operating rods

(9) Gas pistons

(10) Trigger housings

(11) Triggers

(12) Hammers

(13) Sears

(14) Disconnectors

(15) Buttstocks

(16) Pistol grips

(17) Forearms, handguards

(18) Magazine bodies

(19) Followers

(20) Floorplates

If VR80 has less than 10 from the list, then its fine.  If more, then only 10 can remain and some over 10 will have to be changed for US parts, just like on AKs.

Then the second question is:

If VR80 has more than 10 foreign made parts from the 922r list - which ones to change?

Think we all need to know this

Edited by 9-12kit
spelling mistake

I've got three 19rd mags, and a magwell on the way from advanced tactical. 

Just a heads up....if you email them a copy of your military or law enforcement credentials they will add a automatic discount to your account. $60 mags turned into $45 mags!

On 11/13/2020 at 12:53 PM, musicmax said:

Do you mind sharing where you bought the slugs - everywhere around me and online that I've checked is sold out, and my indoor range only allows slugs.  Thanks.

Not at all, it's just that I don't remember. These are slugs from my stash that I've had for .... some time.

Welp.. Haters gonna hate but I dropped off my VR80 at Hayes earlier this week for their Level 2 package. I know it's not for everyone aesthetically or price wise but they put out good stuff across the board. I doubt the VR80 work will be any different. I got to mess with the shop's test mule VR80 and it's very nice. Only down side is that I won't get to see the final product until the end of February 2021. 

Yes Yes.. I know you can do a lot of the work yourself or send it to others and have work done for way less. Hayes has been good to me in the past.  

Edited by 021411

• 3 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, BoyGlock said:

Do you guys have no trouble ejecting mags freely? If so how or what steps have been done in the magwell or mags to drop-free? Can I clean up the insides of the magwell?

You can remove the tab on back of the follower that locks the bolt back. Or you can shortening the tab so it does not apply as much pressure but this can be tricky getting the mag to drop but still lock the bolt back.

1 minute ago, Don_B said:

You can remove the tab on back of the follower that locks the bolt back. Or you can shortening the tab so it does not apply as much pressure but this can be tricky getting the mag to drop but still lock the bolt back.

All my 8 ten rnder mags have the tab. But 2 dont drop free. Thinking it must be something else besides the tab. 

On 12/29/2020 at 6:12 PM, BoyGlock said:

All my 8 ten rnder mags have the tab. But 2 dont drop free. Thinking it must be something else besides the tab. 

A few of mine had real heavy paint on them. After an extended period of use the paint wore off and they started dropping better. Now I just buff the paint off of new mags. If you shove them in and out a few times you will see where they are hanging up.

Another issue I wanted to resolve in the gun side is its preference for more rigid crimp area in the shotshell where it slides on the barrel ramp. Softer crimp edges usually deforms when it hit the ramp and result to misfeeds. This is less common in temperate countries and more in tropical ones such as mine, where the weather is warm enough to soften a less rigid crimp thereby causing the gun to jam intermittently. Tried to put shotshells in a cooler made it to jam less but not totally. Any thing can be done on the bolt/ramp area to solve this?

Didnt backread all 66 pages so this might have been taken up already. 

Edited by BoyGlock

15 hours ago, BoyGlock said:

I was thinking of smoothing inside of magwell, remove burrs that could bind but was afraid might remove metal more than i intended and ruin the clearances w/ the mag and make the gun unreliable due to misfeeds. 

Modify the cheapest part.  Magazines are cheap, receivers are not.