Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIA VR80 coming in 2019

Rudukai13

1 hour ago, stre-tch said:

Random question.

Does anyone know if the Typhoon F12 is just a rebranded VR80 without the ambi-charging handle?

If it is I would opt to start with that and then I wouldn't have to buy as much furniture to get the gun to where I need it. 

Link to Atlantic Firearms F12 page

Might be the other way around.

The F12 was out before the VR80 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Friday.......I had this JP trigger laying around and thought.....hmmmmmm.....I wonder. So I proceeded to remove the factory trigger and dropped the JP trigger in...and first thing I saw is that you need to shim to eliminate side play. Second thing I saw is that the 4-40 set screws are never going to reach the floor of the receiver so they need to be longer and I'll be taking care of that on Monday.  Now I also happen to have an old Akdal 1919 laying around that is in pieces....more on that later. SO using ONLY the JP trigger and re-using the factory disconnector, hammer and springs; I was able to get a MUCH nicer trigger.

Now back to the Akdal......I noticed that the hammers on both shotgun were similar only that the Akdal hammer actually had a hole that fit the VR80 hammer pin much nicer than the VR80 hammer.....so I swapped that out and the trigger was even nicer!! Once I get the longer set screws I am pretty sure that I will have a trigger that will be pretty nice and not some custom set up........BY THE WAY.....I used the standard original JP trigger that they have on their website for $90 or so.

Edited by TRUBL

8 hours ago, outerlimits said:

mine come out just fine.

IMG_2653.jpg

One of two things. Either a, you are lucky and got one of the ones with a bigger bore. Seems to be hit or miss. Or b, yours hasn’t built up the crud that will come. Mine probably has about 900 rounds through it. Shoots awesome. But there is a bit of crud in the comp. I’ve cleaned it out very well, and the tool will work for a little while, then eventually it unscrews, but the choke just won’t go through. 

Edited by Bigsampson

2 hours ago, Bigsampson said:

One of two things. Either a, you are lucky and got one of the ones with a bigger bore. Seems to be hit or miss. Or b, yours hasn’t built up the crud that will come. Mine probably has about 900 rounds through it. Shoots awesome. But there is a bit of crud in the comp. I’ve cleaned it out very well, and the tool will work for a little while, then eventually it unscrews, but the choke just won’t go through. 

I'm one of the "unlucky ones" even with a good cleaning the choke tubes won't fit. It's only in one small area where a couple of the vent slots are, but it's enough to not let them through. I've heard reports of the newer ones having more clearance. I'm just going to wait for the Taccom comp to come out.

Edited by IHMSA15151

19 hours ago, stre-tch said:

Random question.

Does anyone know if the Typhoon F12 is just a rebranded VR80 without the ambi-charging handle?

If it is I would opt to start with that and then I wouldn't have to buy as much furniture to get the gun to where I need it. 

Link to Atlantic Firearms F12 page

the recoil system is different 

https://d25tea7qfcsjlw.cloudfront.net/1368/link/23996/17232.pdf

23 hours ago, SQUIDload said:

FYI - This is the stock I went with do to the recoil pad and price!

https://www.deltateamtactical.com/Adaptive-Tactical-AR-15-EX-Performance-Adjustable-Stock-_p_6836.html

Did you have to change the tube to Milspec?? I see several people using this stock but seems like you can use the stock tube with it even though you would be putting a mil spec stock on a commercial tube. 

Same here

https://loadoutroom.com/112794/the-vr80-a-modern-ar-patterned-box-fed-shotgun/

We are making them, there is a video on one of the VR80 Facebook pages.....about 3/4” rise and mmmmmaybe 1 1/2” pushback.....I was pretty much able to stay right on target with Remington game loads 1 ounce 1290fps. And that load really seems to make the brake work well

21 minutes ago, TRUBL said:

We are making them, there is a video on one of the VR80 Facebook pages.....about 3/4” rise and mmmmmaybe 1 1/2” pushback.....I was pretty much able to stay right on target with Remington game loads 1 ounce 1290fps. And that load really seems to make the brake work well

Send me a link to buy one. I'm not hip to this new generation so I dont have a facebook

8 hours ago, outerlimits said:

how will you time this?

Brass set screw......nope, you will not mar the threads. We will suggest a locktite as well. The thread is a #8-32 and the set screw is 3/16” long.....you can tighten it enough to lock, but it you really bear down on it.....you be needing with the second brass screw provided or a re-tap to 10-32......in any event, you’ll not bugger up the threads on the barrel or crush anything on the barrel.

Has anybody else polished the feed ramp on the receiver? I polished mine to a mirror finish and it hand cycles amazingly smooth. The shells almost jump into the barrel. Haven't been to the range yet but it sure feels much smoother.