Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIA VR80 coming in 2019

Rudukai13

2 hours ago, SQUIDload said:

thank you sir!!!  Advanced Tactical just told me it will be months before they get new long comps!  :(

Is there another manufacturer?

Or should I just go with the old version?

With a ported barrel the ultra shorty comp is all you need 58387.thumb.jpeg.1b4b4df9ccac0099c07f8177431b741e.jpeg

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Underwood said:

With a ported barrel the ultra shorty comp is all you need 58387.thumb.jpeg.1b4b4df9ccac0099c07f8177431b741e.jpeg

What size drill bit did you use for this? 

Also was there some equation to know how many holes to put in the barrel? I want to port my barrel but I think with the long comp on there my concern is that with the extra holes in the barrel there wouldnt be enough gas to cycle the bolt

27 minutes ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

Man a second vr80...that's dedication

When I saw Grabagun had them in stock today for $599.99, I couldn't resist.  I really like the first one and have invested in mags for the platform.

On gas operated rifles, shotguns and pistols, the gas to cycle the gun typically comes from the area close to the breach. 

So, muzzle treatments, except for suppressors, have little or no effect on the actual cycling of the gun. 

They do affect the recoil in various ways, some devices more effective than others, but in general, muzzle and mid barrel comps should not have a big effect on the function of a semi automatic gun. 

So I think I read this whole thread.  Took a while.

So I thought I could start a "VR-80 Tip List". 

Hopefully people can add to it and it might get pinned for others future reference.

1. Turn right side safety 180 degrees to avoid cutting index finger while shooting.
  2. Follow the break in procedure before doing anything to the gun mechanically.
  3. Gas from the piston is normal - suggest Zeo Toxon wrap for handguard gas protection.
  4. Backing buffer tube out a turn or two can help with feeding issues.
  5. Advanced Tactical Long comp does much better job of recoil reduction than short.
  6. reversing spring in 19 round mag can help with issues
  7. loosening fasteners on 19 round mags, loading mag, re tightening fasteners can help with issues

21 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

What size drill bit did you use for this? 

Also was there some equation to know how many holes to put in the barrel? I want to port my barrel but I think with the long comp on there my concern is that with the extra holes in the barrel there wouldnt be enough gas to cycle the bolt

Im not sure.. Benny Hill  @  Triangle  ShooShooting Sports did all the work. I dropped it off and told him i wanted to shoot flat and soft with 1145 fps shells and low recoil fiocchi slugs. This is what it looked like when i picked it up

Well because of all the good reviews and great info from this forum I have decided I would rather shoot than reload on my stages and shoot in open class with my newly ordered VR80!! 

On 7/21/2019 at 8:51 AM, inertia said:

Looking for a gen 2 long comp anyone have a spare?

I just decided to go with Gen 1.  I don't see a lot of downside. 

I bought the long wrench so I don't have to take the comp off & plan to use blue locktite on the brake/locknut but NOT use the setscrew to avoid damaging the threads.

Same performance, cheaper and available.

Edited by SQUIDload
feedback from others: NOT going with locktite

Be careful w the locktite.  Even with an extended choke wrench, it can be hard to impossible to change chokes with the comps in place.

Can't speak for the shorty, but on the long comp, carbon and wad residue builds up just enough so that the choke pulls off the extended wrench and you can't change chokes without taking comp off.  Needs to be reamed out just a bit more.

I’m finally going to get to pick up my VR80 next week. I want to use Adaptive Tactical’s EX Performance stock on it. Since the EX is Mil-spec, will it fit directly on the VR80, or will another adjustment be needed to make it work? Thanks