Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIA VR80 coming in 2019

Rudukai13

On 8/7/2019 at 6:42 AM, Airedale said:

My VR80 20 rd drum mag is giving me fits with FTF issues. When I first got it, it ran fine.  

The gun went through it's terrible 2s where nothing ran reliably. I took off the big comp  (and gave it away), cleaned the shotgun, and now 5, 10, and 19 rd run reliably with bird buck and slug. The drum will nose up FTF every 1-3 rounds.  When I insert the drum, it has vertical  play at the mag catch. It's likely not more than 1/16".

I removed the TACCOM buffer and went back to factory, the tube is screwed out to a point that all the stick mags work. Other than the Tooth&Nail trigger, it's basically stock.

Any thoughts?

hmmmmm.....why don't you send back that TACCOM buffer and let me preform a little magic on it.

Tim

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, Powerslide91 said:

Thinking for mags and mag extensions....

I picked up a VR80 a few weeks ago and am still going through breakin with it all stock.  But I do notice the mag latch / release seems "funky".  From the feel it seems to me the mag is dragging on the latch arm in removing the mag from the magwell with the release button pushed.

It also seems when I push the mag release the latch arm can get bound up in the receiver.  There was a time or two when the magazine would not pull out of the magwell as I pushed the button.

Has anyone else seen anything about the mag latch fit or operation?  Does anyone know if I can adjust the depth of the latch arm in the receiver like an AR mag latch?  I have not yet tried to disassembly my mag latch yet...

Thanks.

I put the "light" spring in my mag latch and it really improved function.   A3G Mag Release Spring for VR80

After 100s of rounds I noticed heavy build up of gunk non lead powder residue in my chokes. It got so thick that my bore brush had a hard time removing it. Had to use sharp small screw driver to scrape them out. Think it affected accuracy of slugs and spread of shots. My 1301 doesnt have it no matter how many I shot. Strange. 

Thanks for the tips on the mag release.  I'll try to play around with it this weekend.

Found another question;  the handguard I believe is sold as M-LOK, but I cannot get the T nut to pass through the openings.  I was trying to install a set of grip scales from an old project, so I know the scales have fit other M-LOK handguards before.  Anyone run into this?

Edit:  I'm measuring ~ 6.8mm on the slot in the handguard.

Edit to my edit:  now also found that the QD pockets for the sling do not retain a sling, which I think was mentioned in this thread a while back.  So now pretty sure it is worth an email to Rock Island....

Edited by Powerslide91

52 minutes ago, BoyGlock said:

After 100s of rounds I noticed heavy build up of gunk non lead powder residue in my chokes. It got so thick that my bore brush had a hard time removing it. Had to use sharp small screw driver to scrape them out. Think it affected accuracy of slugs and spread of shots. My 1301 doesnt have it no matter how many I shot. Strange. 

Maybe it was something on the choke?   Did you clean well first?  Try solvent then the oil you use in you 1301 and see if it builds up again...

2 minutes ago, SQUIDload said:

My Taccom brake should be here soon.  I’ll do a video of no brake vs Taccom.   I think AberageJoeShooter is doing a Video with more brakes, but I figured another wouldn’t hurt.  

I'm doing a video of short break vs long break vs taccom break. Literally only waiting in the brake to get to my front door which should be monday 

17 minutes ago, inertia said:

Did some testing today with taccom comp, qualitatively I would say it falls between the short and long factory comps for recoil and muzzle rise reduction. Just slightly better than the short one.

Do you think it a better compromise of performance, price and convenience over the long comp?  

Daku did some testing on the TACCOM brake and the shot pattern was not affected at all. In my testing......recoil was reduced better than the RIA short brake and about the same as the long brake.....the rise was minimally more than the long brake, but I believe that had all to do with hanging that 3/4 pound monster on the end of the barrel than anything. On one of my VR80's I also drilled holes in the top of the barrel and coupled with the TACCOM brake it was super linear.

12 hours ago, SQUIDload said:

Do you think it a better compromise of performance, price and convenience over the long comp?  

So while trying to get video of all three comps In action I start pulling the trigger and hearing click...upon further investigation it seems like the hammer is a mm away from actually striking the firing pin. 

Any idea what could cause this?

2 hours ago, TRUBL said:

Daku did some testing on the TACCOM brake and the shot pattern was not affected at all. In my testing......recoil was reduced better than the RIA short brake and about the same as the long brake.....the rise was minimally more than the long brake, but I believe that had all to do with hanging that 3/4 pound monster on the end of the barrel than anything. On one of my VR80's I also drilled holes in the top of the barrel and coupled with the TACCOM brake it was super linear.

Good to here!  I'm ok with a little recoil...its a 12 gauge after all and I am not a traveling competitor.  I'm excited to get mine!

13 hours ago, SQUIDload said:

I won't know until I can do more testing and shoot in competition but my current hypothesis is that the gun feels and handles better with the smaller taccom on there despite more recoil, which may be as fast or faster than the big one when your on the clock. That said I am not terribly recoil averse. I run a very light 21" carbon extension M2 in tac and shoot it very quickly but I am a short stocky guy and don't mind that feel. For me the time on the clock is a combination of recoil impulse and handling so it can take me a bit of shooting to really know what's going to be best.

1 hour ago, inertia said:

I have been having intermittent light strike issues, be sure the barrel and all the gas system parts are tight and all the way into the receiver. Was it running before and now stopped?

check for dirt.....possible bent hammer? Broken firing pin? all factory on the trigger set up?

9 hours ago, TRUBL said:

check for dirt.....possible bent hammer? Broken firing pin? all factory on the trigger set up?

Mine does it about 1 out of 10 now Tim, Started at 1-5 but I trimmed the fp spring, removed the bolt catch and now its better but not totally gone. Tried lots of ammo types some better than others but none are 100%. Still factory parts, apparently someday I will receive new fire control but I am trying not to get my hopes up since its been about a month. Any ideas? Running your buffer and flat wire which is a really nice feeling combo, at least when it goes bang.

6 hours ago, inertia said:

Mine does it about 1 out of 10 now Tim, Started at 1-5 but I trimmed the fp spring, removed the bolt catch and now its better but not totally gone. Tried lots of ammo types some better than others but none are 100%. Still factory parts, apparently someday I will receive new fire control but I am trying not to get my hopes up since its been about a month. Any ideas? Running your buffer and flat wire which is a really nice feeling combo, at least when it goes bang.

I've not had an issue with mine on firing, but I can see where it ccccould be an issue......I personally do not think that the hammer goes far enough forward. So some surgery on either the hammer of hammer stop (IE Receiver) may be in order........I will say that I've not really looked into it hard, more of an observation at this point as mine has fired with every trigger pull so far. So take that with a grain of salt.