Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIA VR80 coming in 2019

Rudukai13

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, BoyGlock said:

How about To clean the gas valve and its adjoining parts?

there is a way to remove the barrel without removing the comp, but you would not be able to get to the gas system unless you did.  i wish someone would make a larger handguard that would slide over the comp.

5 hours ago, outerlimits said:

there is a way to remove the barrel without removing the comp, but you would not be able to get to the gas system unless you did.  i wish someone would make a larger handguard that would slide over the comp.

After a few hundred rounds fired, Im considering putting a comp on it. But ive read here its problematic to change choke easily. And now here its also the same for cleaning. Dont need to shoot twice at speed on a target anyway as in a pistol so the comp option seems not much pros on it. At least as of this moment for me. 

8 hours ago, BoyGlock said:

After a few hundred rounds fired, Im considering putting a comp on it. But ive read here its problematic to change choke easily. And now here its also the same for cleaning. Dont need to shoot twice at speed on a target anyway as in a pistol so the comp option seems not much pros on it. At least as of this moment for me. 

Dissent arms makes a long choke wrench that you can use to stick through the comp and unscrew the chokes. To be honest I have no idea why everyone doesnt just run modified. Sure you have to take a few more shots up close, but this is a mag fed shotty we are talking about it's not like ammo is the issue.

I dont even think I'd be shooting this gun if the comp wasnt an option. The long comp makes it so much smoother and softer. 

The long choke remover does not always work well. Not an issue with the tool. Rather the crud that builds up in the comp does not allow it to be pulled out. I think the comps, at least mine, need to be reamed out a bit more. 

12 minutes ago, Bigsampson said:

The long choke remover does not always work well. Not an issue with the tool. Rather the crud that builds up in the comp does not allow it to be pulled out. I think the comps, at least mine, need to be reamed out a bit more. 

would running a bore snake through it regularly help you think?

4 hours ago, Bigsampson said:

Someone should make a choke tool that doubles as comp reamer that cleans out the crud?

44 minutes ago, BoyGlock said:

Also the idea of removing the comp every time to clean the gas system dissuades me more than anything. The wear on its threads or on barrel’s and the resulting effect on accuracy cannot be discounted. 

its a shotgun, you can literally clean them once every 5 years and it should work just as perfect as the day you bought it.  

I own several shotguns that I literally shot without cleaning until failure, which is around 5 years.

if your shooting bird shot the accuracy decrease is so minimal that its not even noticeable 

1 hour ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

its a shotgun, you can literally clean them once every 5 years and it should work just as perfect as the day you bought it.  

I own several shotguns that I literally shot without cleaning until failure, which is around 5 years.

if your shooting bird shot the accuracy decrease is so minimal that its not even noticeable 

Thanks for the tips. Will consider them seriously. 

1 hour ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

That's terrible  advice shooting slugs thru a shotgun can lead the bore horribly gas operated shotguns can get so carboned up that it turns  it into a single shot. 

1 hour ago, sschultz said:

That's terrible  advice shooting slugs thru a shotgun can lead the bore horribly gas operated shotguns can get so carboned up that it turns  it into a single shot. 

Not to mention that it will be almost impossible to get apart 

My open pistols has to be cleaned every 500-700 rnds or else it starts to jam. Same w/ my AR15s. I dont treat mg Sgs different. Its just now here that I consider other possibilities just so I could use a comp. Maybe not worth a try?

Forgive me for my ignorance...but what’s the major concern?   That taking the brake off regularly will hurt the barrel threads?

My plan was to run a bore snake through it every time I finish shooting it.  How often should the pistons be cleaned?  Seems like the only reason to take off the brake.   That or changing the pistol (which I won’t do once broken in).  

1 hour ago, SQUIDload said:

Forgive me for my ignorance...but what’s the major concern?   That taking the brake off regularly will hurt the barrel threads?

My plan was to run a bore snake through it every time I finish shooting it.  How often should the pistons be cleaned?  Seems like the only reason to take off the brake.   That or changing the pistol (which I won’t do once broken in).  

I take mine down and clean it after every match.. But that's just me. 

44 minutes ago, SQUIDload said:

What is everyone concerned with taking them off?

Do you have new style or old style? 

Actually its mostly my concern. Yes my issue is repetitive take down of the comp every time the gas syatem is to be cleaned. So its a factor of how often do I clean the gas system w/c is also proportionate to how much I shoot the gun. 

Edited by BoyGlock

11 minutes ago, BoyGlock said:

Actually its mostly my concern. Yes my issue is repetitive take down of the comp every time the gas syatem is to be cleaned. So its a factor of how often do I clean the gas system w/c is also proportionate to how much I shoot the gun. 

I read some old posts (correct me if I'm wrong or missing something).  It sounds like you think the threads on the comp will wear and create misaligned comp and barrel.  Sound right?  anything else?

I don't just take the comp off to clean, I've taken it off specifically because I needed a tighter pattern on a stage. Never change the choke as it isn't needed - the difference in the comp vs non comp spread is as much variability as I need from chokes.