Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIA VR80 coming in 2019

Rudukai13

2 hours ago, WWG1WGA said:

What was the trigger at before you polished it? Curious how many of the regulars here would buy if there was a group discount? 

It was 4-1/2 lbs out of the box.

Just make sure you put blue locktite on the screws, I didn't and lost 2 screws the first time out.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

i feel like with the ar you need a clean trigger for fast follow up shots/controlled pairs

with shotgun you are either shooting steel and its falling over or paper with a slug once....dont exactly need a clean polished trigger for that

That is very true.

But if that's the case, why are we adding recoil buffers, charging handles, and muzzle brakes just shoot steel or put a slug on paper?

Its simple...…..It's like an addiction,  trying to get the smoothest, flattest shooting, badass shotgun you can make 🙂.

I have to admit, I have an addiction, lol!

I'm sure that if these triggers from T&N were $99 , everyone would buy one (hint hint T&N )……...Am I wrong?

18 minutes ago, Brasspicker said:

That is very true.

But if that's the case, why are we adding recoil buffers, charging handles, and muzzle brakes just shoot steel or put a slug on paper?

Its simple...…..It's like an addiction,  trying to get the smoothest, flattest shooting, badass shotgun you can make 🙂.

I have to admit, I have an addiction, lol!

I'm sure that if these triggers from T&N were $99 , everyone would buy one (hint hint T&N )……...Am I wrong?

I mean getting a softer shooting shotgun equals faster follow up shots. The same just cant be said for the trigger. 

I'd buy one if it were 85$ anything higher than that and im simply not interested. I'll wait till elfman or any other company comes out with an affordable one 

4 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

i feel like with the ar you need a clean trigger for fast follow up shots/controlled pairs

with shotgun you are either shooting steel and its falling over or paper with a slug once....dont exactly need a clean polished trigger for that

Yea, try 60 yd slugs on an 8 inch plate ... or 160+ yard slugs on a BC steel ... 

1 hour ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

I mean getting a softer shooting shotgun equals faster follow up shots. The same just cant be said for the trigger. 

I'd buy one if it were 85$ anything higher than that and im simply not interested. I'll wait till elfman or any other company comes out with an affordable one 

Now line up 8 clays for fast hosing ... do the work to get the gun shooting softer/flatter and being able to pull the trigger faster while not pulling off target becomes even more apparent .. and to counter the "well just use a wider choke"  ... follow those clays by far slugs or heavy steel 

If stuff like that doesnt happen at your local matches, great .. but start traveling and you need to be prepared for it all

From my experience, the Tooth & Nail trigger really shines when shooting slugs in competition. I can shoot very fast with the stock trigger, and slightly faster with the TNL. When it comes to slug shots, however, the significantly lighter pull of the TNL trigger makes a huge difference. 

I just checked my new Ipsc match model I bought with a trigger gauge, It is 10lb-6oz !

and the red one with the  T&N trigger averaged 3lb-10oz.

Gonna get it swapped over this weekend after I finish Ceramic coating all the orange parts to black.

Love the gun, hate the orange trim. lol

derya1.jpg

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 8:59 AM, AverageJoeShooting said:

Funny I think the T&N trigger was completely fairly priced compared to similar AR designs. It doesn't cost less to develop and build a AR style shotgun trigger why would it cost less than something comparable for that platform? In fact its actually much more expensive in this case since there is a micro fraction of the addressable market for the VR80 that there is for the AR meaning whatever your design and setup cost was is going to be harder to recover. Also news flash an ELF drop in module, if it arrives, is guaranteed to cost more not less than the T&N trigger. I think these guys deserve the business for being willing to take a risk and get the most obviously needed modification for this gun to market so quickly. It is however entertaining to watch people try to be "cheap" about "open" shotguns.

21 minutes ago, inertia said:

Funny I think the T&N trigger was completely fairly priced compared to similar AR designs. It doesn't cost less to develop and build a AR style shotgun trigger why would it cost less than something comparable for that platform? In fact its actually much more expensive in this case since there is a micro fraction of the addressable market for the VR80 that there is for the AR meaning whatever your design and setup cost was is going to be harder to recover. Also news flash an ELF drop in module, if it arrives, is guaranteed to cost more not less than the T&N trigger. I think these guys deserve the business for being willing to take a risk and get the most obviously needed modification for this gun to market so quickly. It is however entertaining to watch people try to be "cheap" about "open" shotguns.

Sounds like you got it all figured out. 

I just dont see the trigger on the shotgun being a huge upgrade. For ars and pistols I get it and have done both, I just dont see the advantage in doing that to a shotgun. 

5 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

Sounds like you got it all figured out. 

I just dont see the trigger on the shotgun being a huge upgrade. For ars and pistols I get it and have done both, I just dont see the advantage in doing that to a shotgun. 

Definitely an advantage for long range slug targets 

24 minutes ago, SQUIDload said:

I bought one but it wouldn’t fit.   Waiting on a milspec tube to arrive.    

Its just lighter.   Factory spring is over sprung.  Should make cycling lighter loads more reliable.   

Will it fit into a Mil-spec tube or just commercial?

8 hours ago, SQUIDload said:

Package says milspec.  

Taccom website says commercial.

I just bought a new Mil-spec tube to put on, but I don't think it will matter as I just learned (google, lol) that the interior dimension is the same from mil-spec to commercial.

Would like to hear from anyone who has tried a flat wire spring in their VR80, I've read the spring tension and racking are more consistent and the "Twang" noise of the regular spring is gone.

The TACCOM Flat wire spring will fit in a Mil Spec or Commercial tube (the inside diameter is the same). It may or may not fit in the factory buffer tube as the Turks have A) seen fit to make their inner diameter about .040" smaller than anything else on the market and B.) it may even be smaller than that!!! 

I personally am not a fan of the factory buffer tube at all for the size problem and I just can;t did over the fact that it is a 2 piece tube and I do not know if it is threaded (fine) or swagged (not fine)......either way.....do yourself a favor, loose the factory tube......get the flat wire spring. If will allow for a much smoother operation. And we only recommend using it with our recoil system.

49 minutes ago, WWG1WGA said:

Another thing...why are some people removing the bolt release button? Is it because it’s nearly unusable or is it hanging up the last shell etc? Thanks

Bolt release is shaped weird so it pushes the hammer like 3mm back so it doesnt strike the firing pin. Also if you have a charging handle on there you would never use the bolt release

7 hours ago, TRUBL said:

The TACCOM Flat wire spring will fit in a Mil Spec or Commercial tube (the inside diameter is the same). It may or may not fit in the factory buffer tube as the Turks have A) seen fit to make their inner diameter about .040" smaller than anything else on the market and B.) it may even be smaller than that!!! 

I personally am not a fan of the factory buffer tube at all for the size problem and I just can;t did over the fact that it is a 2 piece tube and I do not know if it is threaded (fine) or swagged (not fine)......either way.....do yourself a favor, loose the factory tube......get the flat wire spring. If will allow for a much smoother operation. And we only recommend using it with our recoil system.

I thought you could just replace the factory spring with the flat wire.   Am I wrong?!! 

13 hours ago, SQUIDload said:

I thought you could just replace the factory spring with the flat wire.   Am I wrong?!! 

TACCOM does not recommend using the flat wire spring with the factory buffer.

16 hours ago, WWG1WGA said:

Is the flat wire spring the same length and compression rate as a regular carbine spring? A little softer, a little shorter, etc?

No it is not. you can't use a carbine spring in the VR80, the solid height is WAY to long.

2 hours ago, TRUBL said:

No it is not. you can't use a carbine spring in the VR80, the solid height is WAY to long.

Let me rephrase...is the flat wire spring the same length and compression rate as the “cut” carbine spring? I’m asking because I’ve been trying all kinds of springs to see what if anything works better. Using the taccom buffer I’ve cut more coils off the carbine spring then taccom recommends, I’ve tried the jp silent captured spring, I’ve tried the Odin works buttstock that has an additional spring built into the cap of a rifle length tube, and all combinations above with the stock spring. I’m wondering if this spring is going to be worth trying if it is a different compression rate or if it’s just the same rate as the cut spring but made of flat wire instead. Thanks