Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIA VR80 coming in 2019

Rudukai13

On 6/29/2019 at 12:09 AM, jid2 said:

Just got my VR80 today and was thinking about designing and building a new handle as well.  What are you looking for in terms of improvements.  Larger diameter, longer, more grip, sweet titanium?

Also, maybe I missed this but it came with two different "light load" and "heavy load" pistons, I imagine everyone is keeping the light load one installed?

1). Larger diameter, knurled, longer by an inch.  Titanium would be a plus.  (Please let me know when you have them available, Id order one  in a heartbeat.  I love this shotgun, but the charging handle is a design flaw by size. )

2). I have only used the light load piston.  Mine ran 100% thru break in and now cycles 1200 fps without a problem. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

I'm a little pissed, I never got any different pistons with mine.....

Get on the FB group for the VR80.  One of the Rock Island reps is on there.  A few folks have posted about missing OEM parts & the rep responds quickly.  

10 hours ago, pskys2 said:

If it's tight due to Loc-Tite you can use slight heat, like a mini-propane torch or maybe even a lighter, to break the seal of the Loc-Tite.  Just be careful if it's Aluminum it won't take much heat.

You can also get an Allen Head Socket and use a ratchet to get more leverage and it's easier to keep straight downward pressure on the bit so it's less likely to get cocked and round off.

If you don't do that you can also use an Adjustable Crescent Wrench on the long end of the Allen Wrench for leverage.  That way makes it harder to keep the wrench from cocking but will work.

Helpful tips. Thank you 😊 

Do we really need to disassemble the barrel from the upper if no mods are to be done to the bolt and/or buffer? I clean the receiver and bolt by small brush and patch on a rod to reach inside. After a few hundred rounds dirt is relatively minimal anyway. 

That is what that other chrome ring is.....,,that’s funny. I noticed mine in the gun said “light loads” today and I was curious. Mine came with a book, towel, choke case with chokes, wrench, piston and some other type of tool I’ll post later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a reason to change the buffer tube to milspec besides more stock options?? Or is this just for that and you had a stock already and wanted to use it? Will a standard commercial spec magpul fit on these like they come or does that require work?

2 shooter, 1 VR80

I was 1st Open (of 21) and High Overall (of 70)

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Great shooting man. Looks like it ran flawless for you. What type of break in did you do?

Great shooting man. Looks like it ran flawless for you. What type of break in did you do?

Thanks ...Cleaned it well and it basically ran since day 1 even using 1200s. 100rds of 1300s are my base recommendation. The Taccom buffer helps too

Thanks ...Cleaned it well and it basically ran since day 1 even using 1200s. 100rds of 1300s are my base recommendation. The Taccom buffer helps too 

Okay I’ll do this and see what happens. I cleaned mine taking it apart. I’ll go buy some 1300 today. Thanks for the help!!

On 6/30/2019 at 6:54 PM, mattmann said:

Is there a reason to change the buffer tube to milspec besides more stock options?? Or is this just for that and you had a stock already and wanted to use it? Will a standard commercial spec magpul fit on these like they come or does that require work?

I swapped mine to a mil spec because I had a mil spec stock already that I wanted to use. It didn't fit the commercial size tube and a new tube was cheaper than a new stock. Plus like you said, a lot more options.

On 7/3/2019 at 9:59 AM, mch28 said:

Does anyone else have a problem with the QD mounts on the hand guard not holding the QD swivels?  The groove for the bearings isn't machined into them on mine.

solved...

IMG_2552.jpg

To date my MK12/VR80 starts to act up. Intermittent misfeeds across all 10 rnd mags. 1 in about 75 birdshot. Shell snags on right side of chamber beside extractor cavity. Thinking of dehorning and buffing that part. Any other thing to consider? Cannot and wont shoot this in big matches in such unreliable state. 

5 hours ago, BoyGlock said:

To date my MK12/VR80 starts to act up. Intermittent misfeeds across all 10 rnd mags. 1 in about 75 birdshot. Shell snags on right side of chamber beside extractor cavity. Thinking of dehorning and buffing that part. Any other thing to consider? Cannot and wont shoot this in big matches in such unreliable state. 

How is 1 shot out of every 75 unreliable? My vr80 has been nothing but reliable. 

5 hours ago, BoyGlock said:

Clean it good espically around gas ports and make sure barrel is clean where where piston rides.. What ammo you using?  Might need a tad hotter ?

Taccom buffer ? Back your buffer tube out .5 turn 

10 minutes ago, BoyGlock said:

Its stock. Only a red dot was added. Ammo is armscor 1,250+ fps

1/75 is not enough. Not even near comparable to my 1301c. 

I have a stroager m 3000 that has literally malfunctioned every single competition I've ever brought it to...in factbso much that I said f*#k quad loads and bought the vr80

10 hours ago, BoyGlock said:

I wouldn’t accept that reliability either.

you could break the edge of the barrel, or you could send it in for warranty. It’s possible that the magazine isn’t centered with the barrel