Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shoe Recommendations

saibot

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same as everyone else on here. I found a killer price (clearance) on some Salomon Speed Cross 4's and they are my go to. No break in required. Bought them and ran a biathlon (RnG) with no issues. I will most likely try the Boombah's next but they seem identical. Plus a pair of $5 Nike cleats on clearance at Academy just in case. 

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 9:03 AM, vluc said:

Love speedcrooss, not liking the price.  Love the boombahs, no issues for me so far on wet wood.

Keep an eye on Jackrabbit.com

I found mine on there like 60% off Amazon. Probably just dumb luck or a typo. But Ill take em!

1 hour ago, allamericanbp said:

Those look pretty slick and aggressive!

They feel great to wear all day and the lugs are very resilient. I like the flat footbed too because I have low arches. 

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, MattBaker5745 said:

Salomon Speed Crosses are my personal favorite. Merrell’s of any style are pretty good, can get them waterproof as well.

Merrells have pretty weak tread compared to the Salomons or my personal favorite, Inov-8 Mudclaw

Merrell’s have always been good for me. I agree about Solomon’s being too narrow. They do grip better than the Merrell’s, but the comfort is much better in Merrells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, hijinx said:

Never had any of the other shoes mentioned but the Merrells. Had one pair hold up for four years and they were very comfortable. Need to find a place where i can try on the Salomon shoes.

They’re a totally different animal. Think more running show with grip vs hiking shoe.

After two matches, I'm pretty happy with the Innov8's.  Great grip and feel for the surface.  Only downside is they're not the most comfortable shoes to be on your feet for a long match.

While I haven't worn them in a match yet, I've been running in a set of Altra Lone Peak 4s lately and can't find anything bad to say about them - they feel like they'd do well on gravel, concrete, and fault lines, and wearing them all day wouldn't be an issue at all.
Incredibly comfortable, with an aggressive, yet grippy tread(can't report firsthand on longevity at this point), wide toe-box, and zero drop.
I can't directly compare them to Salomons personally, but reviews(mostly on trailrunning sites) indicate that the Salomons have a more aggressive tread pattern, taller heel, and narrower fit.

I tried a lot of different shoes before coming across the Altra King MT 1.5s.  They have more space in the toe box and a more natural shape so my toes don't ever get squished together.  So far they are holding up very well in the beginning of their second season.

• 4 weeks later...

For some pretty strenuous Arizona mountain trail running I run Inov8 Roclite 325. The GTX model has waterproof GoreTex, which is also my favorite waterproofing stuff!

They're the best shoes I've ever worn for pretty much everything! I also rock some Altra Lone Peaks, and they're great too but they don't last as long. Very steady though! I haven't done any matches but if you see the crap I run, it's clear that these shoes will rock for shooting!