Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shoe Recommendations

saibot

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, obsessiveshooter said:

I find these to be exceptionally grippy for indoor matches, and the wide toe box is great for stability when shooting through low ports.edaf59dd62fbee038901a2832a97fdff.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

You win the internet!

LOL!!!

On 11/1/2018 at 11:18 AM, S&W686 said:

I have wide feet and Salomon shoes hurt my feet.

Slightly off-topic, but Salomon makes a separate model, "Speedcross 4 Wide." I have very wide feet (and high volume, with high arches) and was somewhat skeptical, but at 25% off during holidays I ordered a pair and they fit like a glove. Had I known they'd fit, I would've gotten two pairs - that's what I usually do with any shoes that I find to fit my feet. 

They will be replacing my Merrel hiking shoes - I love the fit, but they lack a bit of traction on loose gravel so I wanted to try something new. Baseball cleats seem to be a bit too radical, although I might give them a try in the future and use them from time to time when the conditions are right. 

15 minutes ago, IVC said:

Baseball cleats seem to be a bit too radical, although I might give them a try in the future and use them from time to time when the conditions are right. 

There’s a noticeable increase in traction when going from Salomon/Innov8 trail shoes to a cleat (with softer rubber spikes) when running on gravel. I was surprised.

3 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

There’s a noticeable increase in traction when going from Salomon/Innov8 trail shoes to a cleat (with softer rubber spikes) when running on gravel. I was surprised.

How do they hold on firmer surfaces? From this thread it seems that cleats would be a "specialty shoe" for very soft surfaces and that they would be tricky on anything hard-packed, particularly if it's slippery. 

Our local matches are typical CA desert. The top gets loose over time, but the base can have all sorts of hard grooves that solidify after rains. A sort of ankle twister with gravel on top, giving it a mix that seems to be problematic with either plain hiking/running shoes (not enough traction in loose spots), or with too aggressive soles, e.g., metal cleats (too rough on hard clay). The "trail running" variety looks like the best overall type of shoe for the local conditions. 

@IVC the key is to choose the cleat at your local store with the softest lugs on the sole.

(The worst surface for a hard cleat is wet wood or similar. You know, like a fault line.)

My U.A. cleats grip wood and concrete and the like, just like a pair of normal running shoes would. Aside from a rather firm insole that needs upgraded for all-day comfort, they’re good. Great traction on every surface.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 3 months later...

I used to run Spartan races and used the Salomon Speedcross shoes. Nice and aggressive treads, but still very comfortable on the feet. I use them now for USPSA since most of my matches are dirt bases. I did get a pair of Boombah to try for inside matches (more turf-style base) and may look to use them when my Salomon's expire.

On 11/2/2018 at 8:06 AM, pcs352 said:

Check out the ALTRA line of trail shoes . They make a waterproof version and have great traction. They look a little odd with their super wide toe box but are very comfortable. I own several pairs of Salomon and Innov-8 and I think the ALTRA might be the most comfortable. They’re very popular with the thru hiking community and those guys are putting serious miles in their shoes. 

Love my ALTRAs! So comfortable and stable.

I have wide feet and found the Merrell’s trail runner line to fit best. They’re light, they grab, and most importantly they’re comfortable on long days (wore them at nationals for six days straight). They have a lot of bounce in them too, which helps get my fat ass in motion. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...