Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shoe Recommendations

saibot

Hello, all.

I'm looking for some recommendations for some new kicks and thought I'd ask you all. I shoot in gravel most of the time and have found baseball cleats to be best for the local matches. But we're heading into the rainy season here in Oregon and my cleats are far from waterproof. Any suggestions for some new waterproof shoes that do well in gravel? I did try the Salomon Speed Cross, and I did like the traction, but the heel is so high that I keep rolling my ankles, so looking for more of a "neutral" shoe.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will also recommend Boombah shoes.  I have wide feet and Salomon shoes hurt my feet.  Boombah has a shoe that engineered for the feet that need a little more room to breathe.  They are the Berzerk Turf Shoe model.  Plus they are a great price compared to Salomon.

How do these shoes tend to run on size? I’ve been looking at them but afraid to order due to this. 

I ordered a pair of hell cats online and they fit true to size for me. Comfortable and great traction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out the ALTRA line of trail shoes . They make a waterproof version and have great traction. They look a little odd with their super wide toe box but are very comfortable. I own several pairs of Salomon and Innov-8 and I think the ALTRA might be the most comfortable. They’re very popular with the thru hiking community and those guys are putting serious miles in their shoes. 

Thanks all for the advice!

I ordered a pair of the Inov8's since they looked the most neutral and were waterproof. Looking forward to getting them and checking them out.

Appreciate the help!

On 11/1/2018 at 1:07 PM, dsu96 said:

I have a pair of the Boombah Hellcat's and like them.  However, they are not waterproof.

I have a pari of boomah hellcats. I’ve run a twelve mile obstacle course race in them. However, the insoles are cast from iron, and they hate your feet hard after 4 hours.

On 11/2/2018 at 9:35 PM, saibot said:

Thanks all for the advice!

I ordered a pair of the Inov8's since they looked the most neutral and were waterproof. Looking forward to getting them and checking them out.

Appreciate the help!

GREAT choice. (And I’ve used most of the common USPSA options harder than many.)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I'm in Oregon, too, and I use New Balanace minimus trail running shoes in the summer and Merrell MOABs the rest of the year. I'll probably try a pair of Keens in the future but I'm really liking my Merrells right now. Both the Merrells and New Balance shoes have been working great for me in all conditions. The soles on the NB minimus aren't super thick or stiff so super rocky areas can wear you out if you're not used to them.

Edited by Jakobi

28 minutes ago, Jakobi said:

I'm in Oregon, too, and I use New Balanace minimus trail running shoes in the summer and Merrell MOABs the rest of the year. I'll probably try a pair of Keens in the future but I'm really liking my Merrells right now. Both the Merrells and New Balance shoes have been working great for me in all conditions. The soles on the NB minimus aren't super thick or stiff so super rocky areas can wear you out if you're not used to them.

Merrell are my go-to shoes anymore. Nice and wide, light and waterproof if you want.

• 2 weeks later...

I just started wearing Salomon Speed Cross 4. They fit well, even have half sizes I need (12.5 EE). This last match was small and medium gravel over mud. Worked great and shed the mud nicely.  No slipping at all, I was impressed.

When i rinsed them off at home while wearing them, I really felt the cold from the water though. So i am wondering how they will feel as temps drop. 

I started to run the Salomon Ultra Mid 3 GTX this fall, and so far are pretty happy with them. They are more of a high top than the Speed Crosses so I don't worry about rolling any ankles, but I don't think I lose any speed either. I wear a B width boot anyways so the narrow isn't too bad. They are also fairly waterproof. Just a different option from all of the shoes.