Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most realiable 2011 mags

Michigan3gunner

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, schaet said:

My next project is to compare every dimension, profile, angle and whatever else I can,. I really need to know the why?! lol .. this may be the end of what little sanity I have. ?

A small price to pay given you'd be a legend and a hero on BEnos!

On 9/23/2018 at 11:46 AM, IHAVEGAS said:

My experience. Dawson's mag tuning kit with DVD worked great on 9's & 40, re-checked dimensions once a year after the seasons abuse or if I had reason to suspect one had been stomped on.  

+1 on the Dawson mag tuning kit with both STI Gen 1 & 2's as well as SVI mags all with Grams guts and all in .40.  The key is tuning them and then keeping them tuned.

Edited by cs62

I have 6 SVI mags. I don’t know if they are new or old but since they came with my Titan I’d guess new. I also have 4 Gen1 STI mags and one Gen2 that I run in my EDGE. I think the SVI mags stay in tune longer. 

But what I get from reading this thread is:

Go with what you can afford.

Keep them clean.

Check the dimensions now and then.

Respring often.

On 9/22/2018 at 10:46 AM, LMS said:

It took too long to get them tuned, but STI are finally feeding right in my new CK after lots of feed lip futzing and replacing the stock followers with Dawson.   

A friend who has a similar CK is still not there with his MBXs. I have been privvy to some of his communication with MBX, and it's been less than stellar.   During my early tuning grief with the STI mags I was second guessing whether I should have paid the extra dough (2x) to get the MBX mags, but now I'm glad I didn't.    Seems like for what they charge, it should be a better overall experience.  

On the other hand, other local shooters I know are doing fine with MBX in their STI guns. So, YMMV I guess.

I just got some sti gen 2 mags, and they’ve ran perfect out of the box. I was thinking about picking up 2 mbx mags to go with them, since they come ready to go. But I’m not so sure anymore. I think I might just get another 2 sti mags. 

Seems like 50% of people say they are the best, and run 100% right out of the box forever. And the other half has problems. 

Who stands behind there mags more, sti or Mbx?

Edited by Jfitz427

I've never had to tune any STI mags to make them work. All of my guns work properly. I'm of the opinion that it's more likely a problem with the gun than the mags if you have to spend time messing with the mags to get it to feed. 

I have always bought STI tubes, put in grams guts and used a Dawson or Taran basepad. Done. 

Edited by waktasz

26 minutes ago, waktasz said:

I've never had to tune any STI mags to make them work. All of my guns work properly. I'm of the opinion that it's more likely a problem with the gun than the mags if you have to spend time messing with the mags to get it to feed. 

I have always bought STI tubes, put in grams cuts and used a Dawson or Taran basepad. Done. 

Pretty much this.  I used the same 5 STI mag tubes for 4 years and never touched them. Ran them in a few different guns. 

My current Limited guns will even run on my wife's 38SC mags.  Good gun and good ammo, and mag "tuning" isn't a huge deal.

That being said, I have a set of MBX mags that I'm using now, and they are perfect. I wasn't impressed with their first gen springs, but the mags are great now. Adrian made a believer out of me. 

7 hours ago, waktasz said:

I wish this was the case, but given the Dawson tuning kit and DVD exists, it's hard for me to agree.

Edited by LMS

My Caspian mags definitely sent bullets straight into the feed ramp, but other than that, maybe I've just been lucky. The only times I've had a gun not work was because the guns were awful themselves. The mags worked just fine in other guns that were set up right. 

On October 2, 2018 at 7:26 PM, waktasz said:

My Caspian mags definitely sent bullets straight into the feed ramp, but other than that, maybe I've just been lucky. The only times I've had a gun not work was because the guns were awful themselves. The mags worked just fine in other guns that were set up right. 

Me too. 8 different open & limited STI & SV, and never had to do anything but put Grams guts & Dawson base pads on tubes & go shoot. 

I had nothing but problems with the gen 1 STI mags, screwed around way too long trying to get them to work, replaced them all with MBX, have had ZERO problems. The gen 2 STI mags may be better, but I have no reason to even try them.

My 170's were Gen 2 and problem child.  Since then been running an MBX with no regret at all. Just bought a second one for a backup. 

I'll be doing some dimension comparison on both brands to see where the STI's are falling short. Like I mention in a previous post, there are some definite differences in the exterior profile. Ordered up some internal calipers and will be doing some investigating.