Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most realiable 2011 mags

Michigan3gunner

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Old style SVI and gen 1 sti's ( I've never had a problem with either that springs didn't fix)

I've s**t  canned a couple of mbx BUT they were for Caspian/tanfo guns BUT mbx wouldn't do anything to help with making them work, they blamed the guns BUT the guns run with tanfo mags. FWIW

It took too long to get them tuned, but STI are finally feeding right in my new CK after lots of feed lip futzing and replacing the stock followers with Dawson.   

A friend who has a similar CK is still not there with his MBXs. I have been privvy to some of his communication with MBX, and it's been less than stellar.   During my early tuning grief with the STI mags I was second guessing whether I should have paid the extra dough (2x) to get the MBX mags, but now I'm glad I didn't.    Seems like for what they charge, it should be a better overall experience.  

On the other hand, other local shooters I know are doing fine with MBX in their STI guns. So, YMMV I guess.

1 hour ago, MikieM said:

Still, if you keep them properly tuned, they'll all work fine. ?

My experience. Dawson's mag tuning kit with DVD worked great on 9's & 40, re-checked dimensions once a year after the seasons abuse or if I had reason to suspect one had been stomped on.  

9 minutes ago, Scrmblr said:

Oddly enough, the SPS 140mm mags, w/ Grams followers/springs, and Dawson bases, have run 100% for me. YMMV, but I’ll get more based on my track record with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not that odd. I have had excellent luck with SPS 140/170 tubes with Grams innards in open. Get 30 rounds in the 170..

My sps mags have sucked, replaced the springs and followers with grams as well. 

Are they ok now? It was mainly the follower than caused me to curse. Once that changed, they were good, and I figured I might as well change the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MBX stock- no issues.  SVI Gen 1 big stick with TTI guts and pad- no issues.  SVI Gen 1 126 with Grams guts and Dawson pads- no issues.  I only use the latter for Classifiers or when I have to drop a mag in mud or dust.  I use the MBX in matches.

My STI 140's ran fine stock ... I put TTI base pads and Grams guts in them and then had issues ?  Now I'm running them with TTI 4mm basepads and stock guts with no issues at all. 

As for my STI 170's ... a whole different ball game. I tried every variation with them and couldn't  get them to run reliably. Finally sucked it up and bought an MBX 170. right out of the package to a match and it ran without any issues what so ever. 

BTW, yes they are all tuned to spec .. all dimensions. I did a quick side by side comparison and I do see some differences. My next project is to compare every dimension, profile, angle and whatever else I can,. I really need to know the why?! lol .. this may be the end of what little sanity I have. ?

I am running exclusively MBX mags in my two 40 limited CK frame guns, and I am very happy with them. They are on there second set of springs.  I down load and clean them if they hit the ground during a match.  Sometimes if they hit the ground a round can slip past the MBX follower reducing the amount of rounds that can be stuffed in them.  They still work with a round under the follower.  The key is to make sure you download and clean them if they hit the ground.  They all fit 21 rds in the magazine, 20 rounds reloadable.  Can start with 22 in the gun.