Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotshell carriers

Dane460

Taccom, carbon arms and invictus practical are all very good choices. It really boils down to what you want to spend and what you like. I prefer the carbon arms xxsl caddies since I have thick fingers and they allow me to quad load easier that the others. 

I have the Invictus Practical 8ighty8ight which is a 16 shell carrier on one belt mount in a pair of 8 shell arrangement.  I havent played with a ton of others on the clock but i find their16 to be versatile enough for most stages with a pretty nice release.  plus it can be arranged in twins or quads or singles depending on stage needs.

Taccom are relatively inexpensive, and great for a beginner.  One thing to think of is if you'll be loading deuces or quads.  You might not want to get a ton of dual loading caddies if you'll switch to quads soon, or if you can do it now.  That said, I have a bunch of taccom sport caddies and they work great - no complaints.

• 1 month later...

Taccom will be the most affordable until you figure out exactly what you want.   They start to release easier as you break them in.  I still run their chest caddie for large round count shotgun stages.

Try before you buy.  If you start shooting 3gun or multigun, a lot of shooters will let you use their equipment.  I have the Invictus Practical caddies, Taccom Caddies and a Carbon Arms Backbone 24 on a vest.  Each has their benefits and weaknesses.  What works for me, might not work or be practical for you.

• 3 weeks later...

I would go with the invictus. I have Taccom, AP, and Carbon Arms and those are still my favorite. I run a blend normally. I like the AP (out of production so you can find them here sometimes) as they are quick to release when you want to throw 4 in at the start. CAs are good but don’t want  to release sometimes. The IP’s hold well but release easily. They are a little more expensive but buy once, cry once. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Taccom’s are great and they’re cheap if you’re just starting out. I would suggest going to a couple matches and trying different caddies to see what you like. If you gear hunt you are going to spent a lot. I personally run the Invictus 2.8’s and 12q and love them

I got the Taccom 8s to start out and am still using them. The quad load models work fine for dueces too, i load weak hand quads but strong hand dueces with the same model. 

Some of the others look less bulky and more ergonomic, but I feel there are plenty of things above shell loading on the list of stuff holding me back haha. 

All that's to say, the most important thing is just to get what you can afford and get started. It makes the rest of feel way better about having this disease when we see other people getting it too. 

• 2 weeks later...

I started with Invictus, then tried Taccom and finally switched to Safariland.  The Safariland's work best for me.  They have excellent retention, even if you have to go prone on them, but they come out easily when you want them to.  The spacing between the quads is better for me as well, the Invictus were a little too close together for me to quickly grab 4.  I found the Taccom caddies would leave shells on the ground if I had to go prone.  This is one of those Ford, Chevy or Dodge is better kind of things though....everybody thinks what they use is best.

• 2 months later...