Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can't Make Ammo Fast Enough!

Ugh. Seems like I never have enough completed ammo or enough time/desire to go down and crank out more. Mostly .40 for Limited USPSA, but also some 9mm for SCSA.

I used to really enjoy reloading, and I guess I still do to some extent, but during the shooting season it becomes a chore to keep up. I need to stockpile better over the winter I guess. I think I have become a "reloads to shoot" kind of guy nowadays rather than having reloading be a hobby into itself like it used to be.

I am currently using an XL650 with the case feeder, and my throughput seems to be about 500 an hour or so. I also have the Frankfort Vibra-Prime for loading primer tubes, which works great for CCI SPP, and I load up 5 tubes at once, and then crank away.

My thoughts now are to buy a Mr. Bullet bullet feeder (although I am going to lose my powder check die), which should help a bit, and can be used for whatever my next upgrade is depending on which way I go.

That next upgrade would be to start manual with either a used/rebuilt 1050, and then upgrade later to an automated system (Mark 7 or Autobot), or just jump into a new Mark 7 Evolution and automate that later as well.

Questions:

1) Will I see much of a throughput increase by adding the bullet feeder to the XL650?

2) How much of a jump will it be to go to a manually-operated 1050 from the 650? (case feeder and bullet feeder) I saw another thread on here that was encouraging:

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/260841-thinking-about-moving-to-a-1050-from-a-650/

The prices of *used* 1050s seem to be in the $1,200 to $1,400 range, which does not give a whole lot of savings honestly. At $1,400, I could add in another $400 and get a new one with the year warranty and some dies.

But... at $1,850, I could save a bit more and get an Evolution.

Dang. It is never easy.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bullet feed is a big speed increase for a 650 or 1050

just guessing but I would say 25%. 

It allowed me to run at a faster rhythm before I went Ammobot Rev3

I bought two 1050’s locally for $1500 

would get another if I could score one for 1200-1400

2 hours ago, Doublehelix said:

Will I see much of a throughput increase by adding the bullet feeder to the XL650?

With cases cleaned, primer tubes filled (I have 9 of them) and the full MBF (not the mini) I can crank up to 900 an hour. However, my attention span and arm can’t take that many push and pulls.  

A couple of months ago I purchased the Mark7 drive for my 650. Keeping cases feeder, primers, powder and bullets full it will produce more consistent (the shaking of the pushing and pulling is an issue) ammo at almost 1200 an hour. Arm and shoulder much happier now. Oh, still have to preload those primer tubes Using the vibra Prime for that task. But having thoughts about getting the Dillon primer loading device. So far I’ve loaded a bit over 5k 9mm with the Mark7 drive and I love it. 

Edited by HesedTech

It looks like the Evolution is $2,700 (includes bullet feeder) vs. $1,800 for the 1050 (which I think includes dies). So if you add the bullet feeder to the 1050, you are at about $2,250.

Hmmmmm... seems like the way to go depending on how they function out in the field. I like the 10 station setup where I can keep the powder check and still have the bullet feeder and separate seat and crimp stations.

I am probably going to be pick up a MBF this week and put it on my 650. Even if I go with an Evolution sometime I can still take advantage of the MBF for the 650 for other task, or just sell the package, who knows. That would certainly help pay for the Evolution.

I'm not sure a Mark 7 on the 650 is such a great idea, at least for me. I think if I automate a press, it will be the 1050 or the Evolution.

I do know that I have to do something. At this rate, I just can't keep up.

Do the bulletfeeder for now. It will make a huge difference. It’s worth the money no doubt. For a press that was never designed for automation and made of plastic and recycled natty ice cans, mark7 works very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

Same here bullet feeder took me to 1000-1100 an hour on my 650 with ten primer tubes filled and primer tube on press ready with 100. 100 rds every 4-5 minutes at a smooth pace not rushing at all. 

12 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Agreed on the MBF for the 650

Beat upgrade I’ve put into the press. Fill 10 tubes with a vibraprime and load for 45-60 mins. They’re empty.

Great to hear. I was planning on picking up 5 more primer tubes as well (that would give me 10).

My local shop has one in stock, but I can't get there until Thursday (today is Sunday) due to an upcoming crazy week.

Hopefully this bridges my over for a while and then I can decide on whether to upgrade to a 1050 or an Evolution.

Thanks to everyone for great advice.

My biggest reason for not getting a Dillon 1050 is losing the "No BS" guarantee. Once you get an 1050, you seem to be on your own. Automating a 650 seems like the best since any issues are resolved by Dillon and Mark 7. I cannot say how much I love the customer service at Dillon. Anybody have issues with the customer service with Mark 7?

11 minutes ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

My biggest reason for not getting a Dillon 1050 is losing the "No BS" guarantee. Once you get an 1050, you seem to be on your own. Automating a 650 seems like the best since any issues are resolved by Dillon and Mark 7. I cannot say how much I love the customer service at Dillon. Anybody have issues with the customer service with Mark 7?

You do get a year warranty with the 1050 and if you maintain the machine and have a decent preventive maintenance process, it will probably outlast you. Mine works like a champ along with my mark 7. The service from mark 7 has been excellent. 

2 hours ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

Need to check, but I'll bet that automating a 650 will null the warranty...

1 hour ago, RiggerJJ said:

Need to check, but I'll bet that automating a 650 will null the warranty...

Only if you admit to having one.

But the only guy I’ve heard discussing his was breaking enough indexing pawls and a few other parts often enough to stock up on spares.

So you’re paying for them at that point... and they’re probably going to figure it out if you’re loading 30k+ rounds a year and constantly calling for spares anyway

Going to go the Revolution route as I need primer seating adjustment for revolver rounds, I just hand seated 600 rounds yesterday and will be doing another 2-3k over the next 2 weeks.?  I wonder how Dillon will respond to the new competition ?

will probably automate the 650 to deprime only, just need to do it cheap with decent reliability.

I went with the 1050 and a Mr. bullet  feeder. Dillon customer service will be hard to beat. Put the old 650 to use with a inexpensive  auto drive to process and primed brass.