Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can't Make Ammo Fast Enough!

Cody Axon mentioned on his podcast though, that you break more and different parts on your 650 if you automate it.

With who’s system? With the MkVII that is utter rubbish.

If a part is going to wear or fail at 10K rounds, it is going to wear or fail at 10k rounds. You might get there faster with automation, but that doesn’t change the cycle count.

If you have a pre-mature part failure due to automation, your press is either setup wrong, your clutch setting is too high, or you just flat out made an operator error.

The only part I have ever “broken” on a 1050 was a decapping pin and that was on a manual 1050. I’m over 40K rounds now on an automated 1050 and the only part replaced was the indexing pawl because “I” didn’t have it set correctly and replaced it with an abundance of caution due to excessive wear.

You do get a year warranty with the 1050 and if you maintain the machine and have a decent preventive maintenance process, it will probably outlast you. Mine works like a champ along with my mark 7. The service from mark 7 has been excellent. 

I’ll add to what GringoBandito posted; don’t forget the 1050’s are commercial machines. They are pretty stoutly built.

I will also agree that MkVII’s post sale technical service has been excellent, but unless something has changed recently (which I hope it has), there pre sale support has been lacking at times.

It actually is. Most guys will play it straight and narrow here in public. I simply described what most people would actually do.

You have a dim view of humanity and the folks on this board in particularly. I have often said the politest folks you will ever meet are at the door of a gun shop. Given the demographics of the BE forums I would expect a higher level of integrity than most places.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Mr Bullet Feeder - with 2in1 Seat and Crimp die. It works great as long as its adjusted properly; and its not hard to adjust it correctly and I still have my powder checker in place. I also have the RF100 Auto Primer Filler and a round counter. According to the rate per hour, Im going at 1,200 rounds per hour but actual output is around 1,000 rounds per hour with stoppages to fill the primer tube and occasional correct or check something. I think I could push it faster but this is a comfortable pace. 

You mention your doing 500 rounds per hour currently. Does that include the time spent filling primer tubes? My point is simply with both the bullet feeder and RF100 you are more than doubling your output rate

Edited by PhillySoldier

2 hours ago, Want2BS8ed said:

With who’s system? With the MkVII that is utter rubbish.

...I’m over 40K rounds now on an automated 1050...

Automated 650 was the topic of discussion, not automated 1050. Totally different animals: your primer pockets are getting swaged and everything is just much heavier duty.

I intend to sell my 650, and switch to a Mk7 1050 someday. I won’t automate the current press, as I don’t beleive it’s remotely up to the task. I wear out enough parts operating it by hand.

You have a dim view of humanity.

Perhaps I just have more exposure to what people do when their wallet is on the line, versus what they say others should do in some internet forum.

So yes. Yes I do.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Perhaps I just have more exposure to what people do when their wallet is on the line, versus what they say others should do in some internet forum.

So yes. Yes I do.

Did you actually read the post or immediately take everything out of context in forming your reply?

Regardless if it is a 650 or 1050, a properly designed and operated system will not break "more or different" parts.

Chuckling at your "more exposure" to people comment as well. Perhaps... perhaps not. Given my career, I am satisfied with the breadth of my exposure. Certainly enough to recognize someone who is willing to lie to steal a $2 part and lacks the common sense and moral compass to know its wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting Guidelines

Attitude
Please be polite. Or if not polite, at least respectful.
No bickering. Regardless of the subject matter.
Antagonistic, offensive, or quarrelsome tones are not acceptable.
No trolling. No alternate accounts.

We are going to follow these guidelines.  If you want to snipe at each other do it in PM's or on the range.  This is no place for it.

Larry Drake
The Moderating Team

5 hours ago, Want2BS8ed said:

Did you actually read the post or immediately take everything out of context in forming your reply?

Regardless if it is a 650 or 1050, a properly designed and operated system will not break "more or different" parts.

Chuckling at your "more exposure" to people comment as well. Perhaps... perhaps not. Given my career, I am satisfied with the breadth of my exposure. Certainly enough to recognize someone who is willing to lie to steal a $2 part and lacks the common sense and moral compass to know its wrong.

Do you shoot reloads in your guns? Nearly all gun makers advise against it. Would you omit that info if you blew up a gun?

Memphis is a valued member of these forums as are MOST of the others. He only said what the vast majority thinks. Calling him a thief was uncalled for and MOST members here have more class than to say such a thing.

This forum is still just the Internet. Sure it’s leaps and bounds above most of the garbage out there but there are still REAL liars and cheats around. I often wonder when I read some of the comments just how many are true.

“I have three 1050’s, one for each caliber” “I shoot 1000 rounds a week”, over and over again. I’m sure there are some who do but I doubt some do.

Answering the MBF question.  At a comfortable pace, 5 1/2 - 6 minutes per 100.  6min includes filling the primer tube with a vibraprime.

I also hundo check, mark and box after every hundred.  Running too long on a Lee Toadmaster taught me to check often to avoid a big pile of bad/suspect ammo.  It works for me as i need to vary activities to avoid activating tendinitis, so dry fire a bit, reload a bit, mark box, etc. 

You will be money ahead by just buying a MBF and being happy with it.  I was getting about 800-900 rounds an hour output on my 650 manually with an MBF.

Now I do not like money, my path:

Hornady LNL AP

650 with case feeder and MBF

1050 with MBF and Mark 7

Currently waiting on Evolution to be delivered to mount to Mark 7.

Everytime I upgraded I lost $$$ and still have a bunch of accessories for presses I no longer own, more $$ lost.

If you take a look where you want to end up reloading presses setup and decide early on, this will also save you $$.  Everytime I upgraded presses I figured I lost $200-300 minimum.  If I decided early on I wanted to autodrive, I would've ended up at a 1050 press & MBF much sooner than I did (evolutions weren't an option even a year ago).

Once again, thanks everyone for the great advice.

I bought more primer tubes (I now have 10 SP and 10 LP), and the Mr. Bullet Feeder on Friday. Had matches on both Saturday and Sunday, so even though I got it mounted and "sort of" working on Friday night, I wasn't able to get it adjusted and working perfectly until this afternoon.

Pretty SWEET!!! ?

As others have mentioned, this is really a GREAT upgrade, much better than I expected. Took my about 8 minutes to load 100 rounds, and that included 2 cases where the primers did not get popped out properly and 2 upside-down cases from the case feeder ?.

It is smooth as silk, and really speeds up the process. This was just a 100 round test run to make sure everything is working right, so now I will get out my Vibra-Prime and load up 1,000 primers, and pump out 1,000 rounds and see how she works in a production mode where I have to replenish primers, cases and bullets.

509769821_XL650w_MBF_SM.thumb.jpg.fa1d29d87279c28541155def1291e158.jpg

Edited by Doublehelix

I also seriously considering the bullet feeder to make things easier and less wear on my body.  Probably will be a Christmas present for myself.

Planning on putting one of the USB Android cameras on the tool head to make powder verification easy.  I have a spare phone I can dedicate to it.

Thanks to this thread I'm sitting here waiting on the mailman. He's just sitting in front of my house taking a break! WTF just drop off my Mr. Bullet feeder already....
Ugh, real word problems. LOL

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Kpj313 said:

Thanks to this thread I'm sitting here waiting on the mailman. He's just sitting in front of my house taking a break! WTF just drop off my Mr. Bullet feeder already....
Ugh, real word problems. LOL

You are going to love it, trust me. I watched a couple of YT videos from DAA on how to adjust and fine-tune the collator, and that helped a lot.

I am so impressed, totally exceeds my expectations. Can't wait to process a large batch!

Got it shortly after I posted, had a hell of a time setting it up. Turns out it's a newer version but didn't come with any shims after messing around for a few hours I finally made a few plastic shims myself and it's all working good now.

On 7/22/2018 at 11:38 PM, JohnnyD said:

I also seriously considering the bullet feeder to make things easier and less wear on my body.  Probably will be a Christmas present for myself.

Planning on putting one of the USB Android cameras on the tool head to make powder verification easy.  I have a spare phone I can dedicate to it.

I got a camera system, but I found that it's really not needed if you get a really good light system (KMS2). Before I had a basic Inline Fab light which was good, but the KMS2 absolutely blows it away. Now my camera just sits there.

On 7/24/2018 at 9:22 AM, SlvrDragon50 said:

I got a camera system, but I found that it's really not needed if you get a really good light system (KMS2). Before I had a basic Inline Fab light which was good, but the KMS2 absolutely blows it away. Now my camera just sits there.

KSM2? I did a quick google but just got hits on coffee grinders and Klipsch Audio...lol!

Edited by ddc

On 7/18/2018 at 9:28 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

Automated 650 was the topic of discussion, not automated 1050. Totally different animals: your primer pockets are getting swaged and everything is just much heavier duty.

I intend to sell my 650, and switch to a Mk7 1050 someday. I won’t automate the current press, as I don’t beleive it’s remotely up to the task. I wear out enough parts operating it by hand.

So yes. Yes I do.

My experience with a 650 and Mark 7 Pro automation is that the 650 just is not up to the task. The myriad of stamped metal parts, plastic parts,  and light weight springs used in curved designs fail frequently. Before automation I encountered failures like everybody else but after automation the increased reloading and higher speeds caused me a lot of trouble (as did the Mark 7 decapping sensor which is worthless in its printed plastic form). I now have one of the new metal decapping sensors but have not used it because I went 1050.

I bought a used 1050 (and then spent enough rebuilding it that I should have bought a new one in the first place) and automated it with a Mark 7 1050 Pro. This machine skips all the trivial 650 parts and holds up well. If you have never reloaded be careful. You must remove the ratchet to automate the machine. This exposes you to double charges and you can't see into the cartridges on a 1050. I added a bore camera and use a computer to watch powder powder loading. 

Right now I'm about to sell the the 650 with case feeder and MBF and the 650 Pro automation and buy a Revolution to use with my 1050 Pro Mark 7. I will return the 1050 to manual use for special jobs.I have not added all that up yet but a new 650 with case feeder is about 1700 I think. The MBF is about 460 and the 650 Pro drive is about 2200 so its a package I might find few buyers for. I also have a ton of spare parts because I need them to keep the darn thing running.   

My advice...do not buy a 650 if you have any plans to automate it. Too many cheap parts.

Edited by Brooke

Despite a thorough cleaning beforehand, I always had trouble with adhesive strip lights staying in place long term.

I've been happy with the LEDs from Reloading Innovations found here:

https://reloadinginnovations.com

The LEDs are bright and solidly mounted on fitted pcb boards that clip on the press. Their gen 2 spill stops are pretty handy as well with tall rifle cases and fine powders.

5 minutes ago, Want2BS8ed said:

Despite a thorough cleaning beforehand, I always had trouble with adhesive strip lights staying in place long term.

I've been happy with the LEDs from Reloading Innovations found here:

https://reloadinginnovations.com

The LEDs are bright and solidly mounted on fitted pcb boards that clip on the press. Their gen 2 spill stops are pretty handy as well with tall rifle cases and fine powders.

Absolutely no problem with my KMS2 lights falling off. Been over 6 months and they still stick like new.

On 7/24/2018 at 11:22 AM, SlvrDragon50 said:

I agree the single overhead inline fab light left a lot to be desired.

I am happiest with the relaoding innovations lighting setup. No worries about adhesives staying stuck, and you have a halo of light around the dies.