Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Backup guns

corbinfouquet

Since you are bored and curious, I currently have two nearly identical Open guns but it took me at least 3 years to get there. Once I switched to Open initially I took my Production rig with me to far away or Major matches. My thought process was if my main gun breaks I can at least finish the match. I drug around two complete sets of guns, gear, ammo etc and never needed once. But it was comforting to know I didn’t drive 8-10 hours and spend a small fortune for nothing if my gun broke.

But still, if and when you can swing it , nothing beats two very similar guns

When I was shooting limited, I always took two guns and in the South Carolina state once my gun broke. Went to bag got backup finished the match with it. 

Thats the only time out of several years. But it did happen.two identical Sti edges both hard chrome.

I tried having a similar gun to my primary as a backup gun. That didn’t work too well as I had to include the backup gun in practice sessions just to maintain familiarity. 

Got tired of that and when I bought a new open gun I knew I was going to buy a second gun from the same builder with instructions to make it identical to the one I got the previous year. Wanted to make sure that I liked the first gun before ordering an identical one. 

My “old” gun is now my practice gun and local match gun and the new one steps in when I shoot major matches. No problems switching since everything feels identical. 

I refer to Sarges comments, I run a CZ in CO, and my back up gun is a Glock 34. So, for every match I go to I have to bring a separate belt, mag carriers, holster, and mags. It is a real pain in the backside. Will be getting a second CZ as a back up and selling off the Gluck.............

Currently my backup gun is a Glock 19x. My primary gun is CZ Shadow, is it night and day difference? It is but it works for what I need it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current trubor with evo and Romeo 3 flat infinity trigger, custom being made now emg customs Eddie gun,  will have evo Romeo 3 and a flat infinity trigger,  both t2 comps not identical but pretty similar. 

Hello: I have 4 open guns that I built and they are all different. I built them to try different things with. All have 5" barrels and my comp but are different in weight and frame type. Fire control is the same in all so the trigger feels the same but the weight placement is different. I think after all these years I finally know what I like and what works best for me. Thanks, Eric

I like to stay consistent with match guns. I even built my 22lr Steel Challenge gun identical to my 2011 open gun complete with frame mounted red dot. For me I want the consistency of the platform so that my mechanics are always the same. Not to mention that I only have one rig for all of them.

This is only after finding the right platform and combination of components; getting to this point is whole other conversation! 

Hello, I'll mention what Bob Lodrigan from Brazos wrote on a back up gun.  And, he suggest a back up should be  " Identical " to the primary gun.  I follow this advice with my open guns being identical in every way and its makes sense.  They feel, shoot and handle the same way as I can barely tell a difference from one another.  Also, most importantly, the velocity is extremely close with no power factor worries if I need to change guns.  If you can manage it, it's the best way to go for sure.

18 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

I have 4 open guns and they are all different to try different things with. 

1 hour ago, digi531 said:

a back up should be  " Identical " to the primary gun. 

WOW   :surprise:

Now I'm confused.   First Aircooled mad a LOT of sense - try different things.   Then Bob L.

said they should be identical (Like mine).

BOTH make a lot of sense to me, so I'm really confused.

Thanks for giving me a different perspective here - have to think about each for a bit   :) 

Hello: You can take your open gun and play with weights to see what you would like for your backup pistol. Buy a tungsten guide rod to add weight to the front. Get an aluminum guide rod. Buy a steel mainspring housing to add weight to the rear. Get a heavy magwell or steel grip to see what you like. Lightweight comp. Doing all this or a combo of all of this will tell you alot. You can sell off the old parts you don't like to offset the cost of your new backup pistol. I can tell you that two pistols that are built the same way don't feel exactly the same. Close but not exactly the same. Thanks, Eric

I have two vary similar Single Stack guns. Same grips, Trigger, Trigger weight, mag well, etc. One has a lighter slide and heavier frame the other the opposite. Shooting them back to back i can tell a vary slight difference but not enough to matter. Overall the feel is vary similar. In the off season the one gun may be getting some fat removed from the slide.

My back up is also my practice and dry fire gun. My primary gun is now only shot for testing and in matches. I have seperate mags for Dry fire, in time I'd like to have a different set for matches vs live fire practice too. No need to travel to a big match with beat up gear that gets abused all the time.

I was lucky enough to find a second open gun built on a Caspian Hi-Cap frame - however it is chambered for 38SC instead of 9major - but the holster and MBX mags work for both guns, I just bring 300 rounds of 38SC ammo to matches "just in case"

The guns are radically different. One has a c-more, the backup has a Romeo 2, one has a Nitro Fin, the other has a GoGun thum rest, but for the price I paid to have a backup gun, the differences are acceptable.

Two guns built by the same guy on the same day can still be quite a bit different.  I have two identical guns the load I use in one gun gets 169 in the second gun its 179.