Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Footwear options for 2018

Apolo

I'd like to hear/see some of the other gamer footwear options out there. A more upto date list with pics and reasons why you like them ect. I'm looking for other options other than my Salomons. As nice as they were...I wore then out fast. I require something with some serious tread. I have a more medium width foot so size doesn't seem to be an issue. 

Inov-8 I have X Talon 200s, like a cleat made of soft rubber, running thru a shoot house on painted/polished concrete the lugs squirming is less than confidence inspiring, but they never slipped. Don't expect them to wear long.

Not sure about the heavier ones (model number is weight), but these ones have zero sole, you literally feel every pebble, good if you like feeling fault lines and and things, not so great standing on course rock for hours. Also, I'm 205lbs, if I come in too fast, laterally, the lack of rigidity in the sole will allow the show to start rolling around my foot, not good, never happened in a match, definitely happened in class.

Overall, I like them for the traction and light weight, but I only paid $65 or so. Reviews said they ran small, I ordered a half size up from normal New Balance/Solomon size, definitely didn't need to, may have been able to go a half size down.

Last season I wore my trusty Salomon Quest 4D 3 GTX boots - great boots and a very popular option around my area. Salomons have always fit me well so I did some searching within the brand and found the X Ultra Trek GTX. It’s basically the same boot but a few ounces lighter. So far through about 6 weeks and several matches (as well as hiking with my pooches) I’m very happy with them.

I know they are not trendy Merrell makes some nice shoes. Keen, although I do not like the company politics, make some nice shoes if you have wide feet, and both come in a nice prices. 

I'm a big fan of the way the Salmons lace up and fit but I do not like how fast they wear out. I looked at a few other options and some have the real large lugs like the Salmons and Innov8s but the toe box looks like it offers little stability. Like mesh and I could see my toe going through the side

Edited by Apolo

On 7/1/2018 at 12:14 AM, floater said:

I know they are not trendy Merrell makes some nice shoes. Keen, although I do not like the company politics, make some nice shoes if you have wide feet, and both come in a nice prices. 

I use a set of Merrel hiking shoes, but just saw that they released the MQM flex with gor-tex. Looks like it might be a good alternative to the Solomons and Inov-8s

Right now I'm in the Boombah Hellcat camp.  Comfy even when new.  Very little break in required.

The Innov-8's I've work had a narrow toe box, which kept putting too much pressure on my pinky tow.

My Salomon's were grippy and fit well, but after more than a few hours, my knees and back would ache.  They provided a lot of support and feedback, but I need more comfort now.

I've gotten a pair of Under Armour Speed Tires for this season and I'm really liking them. They use a Boa cable system to cinch up and have a neoprene ankle sleeve. I really like how they feel, the Boa system is super easy, just push the little dial in and twist and you can dial in the perfect tightness for your feet. The ankle sleeve is nice as it helps to keep the ankle warm and loose as well as blocking debris from getting into the shoe. 

The sole is made of Michelin rubber and has good grippers for dirt, grass, loose gravel. I haven't used them yet in mud but based off runners reviews they aren't ideal in deep mud. 

They have a water repellent coating, but that's more to protect from a light shower, if its already sopping wet out you probably have better options. 

I'm hoping that UA hasn't discontinued them permanently as they are no longer on their website. They look a little funky, but really do a great job. 

Another option if you want a trail runner type shoe with a little more water repellent capability would be the Altra Lone Peak 3.0. It has a special fabric sandwiched between the innermost wicking layer and the outer layer that is highly water repellent. They're still way lighter than hiking boots (which generally have the best water proofing, but aren't as light or offer as much "feeling" as trail runners do)

On 7/13/2018 at 6:26 PM, HowardM said:

Does anyone know of a good waterproof option 

There are lots of Goretex running/trail shoes.  Head over to REI or their website.  They had at least six when I was there last.

BTW, I just bought a pair of Hooka Trail shoes.  Aggressive tread without big blocks.  Light, comfortable and fast.  They have slightly less cushioning than the ATR, but your ground feel is better.

6 hours ago, mwray said:

How does the Boombah sizes run compared to Salomon?

All I can say on that is that my feet have been measured as a 12.5 narrow, and the 12.5 Hellcat fits my foot better than any shoe ever has.  They seem to run on the narrow side for sure.