Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Footwear options for 2018

Apolo

On 6/30/2018 at 8:57 PM, turbopower18 said:

More options in bigger sizes (15 up) would be great!

I'm in this boat with size 15 shoes.  I've tried a few different options out and have found I like cleats the best.  I'm a bigger guy so I can use all the traction I can get.  I bought some Nike football mid top cleats, and get the cheaper rubber cleats ones.  I got mine for $40 and threw some insoles in them.  This support and traction allow me to run through stages with out loosing grip. One main thing to think about when ordering cleats though is the rubber cleats, they are cheaper and you wouldn't think they would be as good but for USPSA they're the best option.  They're more comfy for theose 6+ hour range days and the rubber wont slip if you get on any hard floors. If you don't need the mid high then get low tops.  

I switch between inov8 and Salomoons on light range days that I'm not running aorund so much.  Inov 8's would be my favorite traditional trial runner.   The X Talons or Claws have more grip than Salomons and last longer.

7 hours ago, CaliYeti said:

I'm in this boat with size 15 shoes.  I've tried a few different options out and have found I like cleats the best.  I'm a bigger guy so I can use all the traction I can get.  I bought some Nike football mid top cleats, and get the cheaper rubber cleats ones.  I got mine for $40 and threw some insoles in them.  This support and traction allow me to run through stages with out loosing grip. One main thing to think about when ordering cleats though is the rubber cleats, they are cheaper and you wouldn't think they would be as good but for USPSA they're the best option.  They're more comfy for theose 6+ hour range days and the rubber wont slip if you get on any hard floors. If you don't need the mid high then get low tops.  

I switch between inov8 and Salomoons on light range days that I'm not running aorund so much.  Inov 8's would be my favorite traditional trial runner.   The X Talons or Claws have more grip than Salomons and last longer.

I used Nike football cleats for one season. Switched to Innov8’s and wow what a difference for the long range days. I’m also a bigger guy and when wearing cleats by the end of the day I knew where every cleat was on my foot by the feel on my feet.

1 hour ago, turbopower18 said:

I used Nike football cleats for one season. Switched to Innov8’s and wow what a difference for the long range days. I’m also a bigger guy and when wearing cleats by the end of the day I knew where every cleat was on my foot by the feel on my feet.

Yeah, I would only buy the rubber cleated bottoms for that reason.  Try some good insols, I use superfeet ones and they are worth every penny. I now add them to every shoe I wear.  They might help you with this issue. 

But you are right, they aren't as good as the Inov8 for longer range days.

Got a pair of clearance Hellcats, going to try them this weekend.  Walking around the house and yard with them, they feel a bit more comfortable than my Speedcross 4's, but there is more room in the toe-box on the hellcats, my biggest gripe about the SC 4's over the 3's.

Size-wise, more true to fit.  We'll see what they do.

11 hours ago, vluc said:

Got a pair of clearance Hellcats, going to try them this weekend.  Walking around the house and yard with them, they feel a bit more comfortable than my Speedcross 4's, but there is more room in the toe-box on the hellcats, my biggest gripe about the SC 4's over the 3's.

For the price these things seem hard to try and pass up a try.  I just wish they went up to size 15.  I do hear mixed reviews on them though.

Speedcross 4's come in wide now so that might be worth a shot if the Hellcats don't work out.

21 hours ago, vluc said:

looks similar to speedcross. If it is more comfortable than speedcross then I got to try them. Speedcross is very comfortable to me already. Only thing salomon gets dirty quick. $59 per pair is very reasonable.

2 hours ago, jerson0208 said:

looks similar to speedcross. If it is more comfortable than speedcross then I got to try them. Speedcross is very comfortable to me already. Only thing salomon gets dirty quick. $59 per pair is very reasonable.

Their clearance is only 39.99, an even more reasonable.

First off, I have been a long time user of the Salomon Speedcross 3 and 4.  Loved that shoe but the tight toe box limited the type of sock I could wear when using them.  So I decided to try the Hellcat.  Wore 9.5 in Salomon, ordered the same size in Boombah.  Just as comfortable as the Salomon with the same aggressive tread, slightly wider so my foot felt more comfortable.  I noticed no movement of my foot over the 15 stages I shot over Saturday and Sunday.  Other than the usual fatigue of moving that much, my feet did feel better than the same amount with the Salomon's.  Not a knock on the Speedcross, just pointing out they don't run as wide and moving up another half size did not change anything other than the shoe was not as good a fit anymore.

All in all, I like this shoe, have not run it in inclement weather and others have commented that on a wet floor, they are slippery, so until I hit a wet fault line at speed, I won't know how they behave.

My one complaint about the shoe - white shoelaces.  Come on, give me a choice of colors or just put black laces on all of them.

I had been wearing the La Sportiva Mutants but the toe box was a bit too narrow. Switched over to the Altra King MT 1.5 and will never look back. Extremely grippy in all conditions, no heel rise, and ultra wide toe box. Also, they have sizing for 14 feet.

I  bought a pair of Altra MT King trail running shoes. They have the Salomon/Boombah cleat style soles, but the toe box is very wide. So far, they have been the best match shoes I have found for a wide fit.

1 hour ago, vluc said:

All nice shoes, trying to get away from those 3 figure shoes that wear out so quickly.

I feel ya.  I have messed up feet and ankles from football so I typically spend more.  And only a few companies make size 15.

I'm getting back into shooting after quite a layoff and I'm in the market for some new shoes. I was looking at the Boombah Hellcats. I had Salomon 3s and I had to go up 1-1.5 sizes due to their not being wide enough. Will I have to go up that far in size if I get the Hellcats?

Thanks.

On 8/11/2018 at 2:42 PM, jualdeaux said:

I'm getting back into shooting after quite a layoff and I'm in the market for some new shoes. I was looking at the Boombah Hellcats. I had Salomon 3s and I had to go up 1-1.5 sizes due to their not being wide enough. Will I have to go up that far in size if I get the Hellcats?

Thanks.

Just bought a pair, they are not narrow.. I like to go with a half size bigger since feet sewell when you run and your on your feet all day , leaves room for more comfort.. 

Just got a new pair of Altra Timp. I couldn't be happier after 2 hours in the rocks/gravel. We habe a great club but the surface is very painful for these 69 year old feet. I've tried all the popular options but these are the most comfortable. They might not have the traction as cleats but at my speed ,or lack of, they work. I'm shooting  two matches this weekend and I'll update. 6'5" and 250 lbs.

Edited by jnr88

I replaced speedcross with hellcats.  Both I bought a half size big.  The speedcross hurt my feet after and hour or two due to the narrow toe box.  Also, I wanted something with a thicker sole that would provide more support; speedcross also hurt in rough large rock terrian.  I have been dry firing in the hellcats and went to a brutal 5 hour match on the gulf coast today.  Feet feel great.  I typically run in a moderate support running shoe.  We don’t really run in Uspsa, but I suspect if I were to run in the hellcats I’d need an insert with more support.  The hellcats are hotter and don’t breath as well, but I expected that with a heavier shoe.

forgot, on my epoxy painted garage floor if wet the hellcats are really slippery; not so much in the speedcross.  Local range is all grass and some gravel; no issues.

Edited by andrewtac

14 hours ago, CTJer said:

Depending on the surface you typically shoot in I think the Lugs might be a little too short to get the best traction when trying to put on the Jets or come to a stop quickly.  The cushion looks like it would be nice if that is what you need.