Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite coated 147gr?

quietmike

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've tried at least 4 coated bullets, Seem to always go back to Blue Bullets, I like the TEXTURE for reloading,yes it turns turns your fingers blue, easily washes off. IMOP

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Tanfoglio S2 and CZ Shadow 2 tried Blue and Eggleston 147s, both quality bullets, but ended with ACME 147 FP. The profile allowed a 1.135 -1.14 OAL that worked with stock (not reamed) barrels. Had to use 1.08 with Blue and Eggleston RN and that made reloading a whole lot picker for brass. I had to sort out all CBC for them. 

Actually switched to PD 147 FMJ RN, costs about $300 more per 10k, but they are very accurate and far easier to load. No worries about scraping the coating off and such. 

Most of them are good, but they're not all the same. They tend to have slightly different diameters. 

Blue bullets are a little undersized for lead at .355.

BBI are a little bit oversized, closer to .357.

ACME has been the best I've measured in terms of most consistent diameter bullet to bullet, and typically a tad over .356.  They also cure the Hi-tek thoroughly. 

I've liked SNS, nicely consistent per batch, but I will say I've gotten some batches that average .356 and some that average closer to .3555.  And that's with a micrometer.  Possibly different or new sizers?  I don't know. 

I've not used Bayou since Miculek sold it, but they were not surprisingly properly cured and consistent bullet.  Bayou's 124gr TCG was a favorite of mine before it was discontinued. No idea about Bayou under new ownership. 

I have recently purchased Gallant.  While I haven't used them yet, I have listened to their owner describe their process, and I am hopeful. 

The others I haven't used, but I suspect most are good. 

My favorites have been ACME, which has been great in everything, BBI, which has been especially good in my CZ pistols, and while Blue Bullets are not great at all in my CZ pistols, Blue Bullets are lasers in my VP9.  AND I am very hopeful about Gallant.   

At the end of the day, though, ACME is an easy bet.