Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sport Pistol powder

jeffroberdo

9 hours ago, Nuncles said:

In my limited experience, Shooter's World CS has very similar ES and SD to Sport Pistol.  I will say however, that I was using a different chrono with CS than I usually use.  It may not matter but thought it should be stated.  I can give more feedback when I have shot more of it (only about 300 rounds so far).  

I'm trying CS because I was getting a fine dust on my press with Sport Pistol.  Dillon powder hopper on a 650.  Anyone else getting a fine dust on their Dillon press with Sport Pistol?  I have talked to some who get it and some who don't.  I find it quite strange.  I REALLY like the powder but I load inside a spare bedroom and want to keep the powder spillage as minimal as possible.

Thanks for the heads up about the fine dust. I'll also be loading indoors in a spare bedroom, and that would be a definite no-go for me. Guess that settles it in favor of CS. Still interested to hear your feedback once you've shot more it of, of course!

Edited by kamber

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, robertson said:

After using  SP for 6 months it seems my Dillon powder bar is getting chewed up. Anyone else notice this?

sport pistol no issues after 2 years.     Now if you had said clean shot yes and its one of the reasons we dont use it.

14 hours ago, Dwbsig said:

Yes I have used about fifteen pounds of sport pistol and it does leave a fine dust on my press but I have not noticed any dust past my press on anything else. I got some aa#2 and its just as accurate and it does not leave any dust on the press. 

Interesting that you mention AA#2.  I've read that Clean Shot is almost identical to it.

Could someone elaborate on the statements of sport pistol and/or clean shot messing up the dillon powder bar?  Why does it happen and an example of what we should be looking for?  I'm not familiar.

44 minutes ago, Nuncles said:

Interesting that you mention AA#2.  I've read that Clean Shot is almost identical to it.

Clean shot is "old" AA2,, New AA2 was specifically designed to have bigger flakes to not cause this problem.
Far as Dillon bars... Something has changed over the years... Have several powder measures, never had a problem. Bought a new Caliber conversion kit,, small bar is different color, and seems to shed WST... Been using it for decades, but all of sudden, its piling up on that 1 new measure.

7 hours ago, Nuncles said:

Could someone elaborate on the statements of sport pistol and/or clean shot messing up the dillon powder bar?  Why does it happen and an example of what we should be looking for?  I'm not familiar.

Apparently my powder measure has enough clearance between powder bar and spacer (.007) to allow Sport Pistol to get in there, wear the parts and dust the press. Today I smoothed out the roughness and made a .004 shim for the spacer. If your powder measure runs clean and smooth with fine powders you don't have a problem.

12 hours ago, robertson said:

Apparently my powder measure has enough clearance between powder bar and spacer (.007) to allow Sport Pistol to get in there, wear the parts and dust the press. Today I smoothed out the roughness and made a .004 shim for the spacer. If your powder measure runs clean and smooth with fine powders you don't have a problem.

I've seen the issue online where people have had to put a spacer (shim) between the powder bar and spacer to reduce the gap to prevent leakage.  But those who have had to do that claim that they have leakage that they see on the powder bar itself.  I never experienced this with Sport Pistol.  It seems like the "dust" was coming from the powder funnel.  I could see it floating in the lights on my press when the case drops from the funnel.  Kind of like when you see dust in a stream of sunlight.  I have never experienced this with other powders I've used on the dillon, which are VN320, CFE Pistol, and Clean shot.  Also, when using Sport Pistol on my Lee Press with the Lee Auto Drum I didn't have the "dust" issue.  I realize that CFE and Clean shot are ball powders and VN320 is extruded, but is Sport Pistol considered a ball or flake powder?  I thought it was ball but someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. If it's flake or at least a VERY fine ball, they may explain the dust from the powder funnel.

Edited by Nuncles
Added info

This is the dust I was referring to.  This was after about 100-150 rounds and buildup is more over time.  I know most will think this is minor/nothing/irrelevant, but as I mentioned, I reload in a spare bedroom and don't like the idea of powder floating around.  Just a personal issue.
.dus2t.thumb.jpg.29db6c7fd535a3c7889a8ccab3d50e6e.jpg

Edited by Nuncles

I've also seen a little bit of "dust" using Sport Pistol but not near as much accumulation as in your picture.  I've traced most of mine to some residue left on the powder funnel after charging a number of rounds.

I recently started using sport pistol with my 1050.  I immediately noticed the same fine dust.  It's defiantly not flakes of powder.  Not sure what it is or exactly where it's coming from.  I added some dwell time on the down stroke on the auto drive initially thinking powder was still dropping, but again, it doesn't look like powder flakes and the added dwell didn't help.  I just keep a can of compressed air near by and blast it ever couple hundred rounds for now.  Kind of annoying since good ol' titegroup never did this.  

On 4/13/2020 at 11:29 PM, kamber said:

Thanks for the heads up about the fine dust. I'll also be loading indoors in a spare bedroom, and that would be a definite no-go for me. Guess that settles it in favor of CS. Still interested to hear your feedback once you've shot more it of, of course!

I don't want to get off topic because this is a sport pistol thread but since you were interested in my opinion with Clean Shot, I thought I would give a little feedback.  I got to do some doubles and bill drills yesterday.  The barrel was surprisingly cooler than I expected after the bill drills.  No apparent issues with accuracy but these drills were only at about 7 yds.  As far as recoil goes (124/125 grain), when shooting quickly, they all seem about the same to me.  I can't notice a measurable difference.  I'm concentrating on my shots and not the recoil.  I am using black bullets international and will say that they were quite smokey.  About what you would expect with Titegroup and coated bullets.  I'm sure it would be less with FMJ.  Comparing it to sport pistol, barrel/slide heat would be a draw but smokiness would definitely go to sport pistol for the win.  Just my 2 cents.

5 hours ago, Nuncles said:

I don't want to get off topic because this is a sport pistol thread but since you were interested in my opinion with Clean Shot, I thought I would give a little feedback.  I got to do some doubles and bill drills yesterday.  The barrel was surprisingly cooler than I expected after the bill drills.  No apparent issues with accuracy but these drills were only at about 7 yds.  As far as recoil goes (124/125 grain), when shooting quickly, they all seem about the same to me.  I can't notice a measurable difference.  I'm concentrating on my shots and not the recoil.  I am using black bullets international and will say that they were quite smokey.  About what you would expect with Titegroup and coated bullets.  I'm sure it would be less with FMJ.  Comparing it to sport pistol, barrel/slide heat would be a draw but smokiness would definitely go to sport pistol for the win.  Just my 2 cents.

Thanks, I appreciate the observations!

Edited by kamber

On 4/14/2020 at 1:23 AM, robertson said:

After using  SP for 6 months it seems my Dillon powder bar is getting chewed up. Anyone else notice this?

I have been loading SP since it hit the stores- I shoot 9mm all the time- NO issues with my 650

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been using SP for a few months in my TSO 40, I’m very happy with it. No noticeable issues with my Dillon 750 powder bar. SP meters well and burns clean behind 180gr DG bullets. I haven’t used it for 9mm because I have a metric ton of titepoop.

Anyone care to share load info for 100gr 9mm bullets using Sport PIstol powder ?   please include COL - PF & length of barrel if possible..

thanks,

Anyone care to share load info for 100gr 9mm bullets using Sport PIstol powder ?   please include COL - PF & length of barrel if possible..

thanks,

OAL depends on your projectile. I have three different OALs depending upon if I run the Berry’s 100gr HBRN, RMR 100gr RN or Gunracer 100gr snubby RN.

It also depends on your intended use. If you shoot Steel Challenge and don’t need to make power factor, 3.7gr of SP is soft and runs about 1020fps out of my Taccom ULW barrel.

For fast cycling minor USPSA loads 5.0-5.2gr of SP works well at about 136 max PF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Just sharing some Sport Pistol info from my chrono session this morning.  Felt soft and the 25yd freestyle group was all in the head of a USPSA target (not the A box, but I'm not that capable).  

CZ Shadow 2

RMR 124gr FMJ Round Nose
1.097 OAL
3.8 Sport Pistol
CCI Small Pistol Primer
.378 Crimp
Mixed range brass
52°F
Avg PF:    132.37

#      FPS       PF
12    1043    129.33    
11    1070    132.68    
10    1076    133.42    
9    1083    134.29    
8    1066    132.18    
7    1060    131.44    
6    1063    131.81    
5    1060    131.44    
4    1070    132.68    
3    1073    133.05    
2    1060    131.44    
1    1086    134.66    

Edited by koteris
removed double readings

• 1 month later...

Just tested the 124 Gr J-Ames bullet given to me by zzt and it was very smoky. Accuracy sucks too. I tested using SP from 3.74 - 4.0 Gr of sport pistol @1.123-1.126” OAL using my Czechmate. None was as accurate compared to my completion load of 4.0 SP with PD JHP @ 1.125” OAL.

43 minutes ago, jaep1911 said:

I have started getting a lot of smoke recently.  I use ACME 124gr bullets and 3.9gr of SP. Anyone else having the same issue?

Yes, I noticed seeing SP becoming more smokey back in the winter when I got into a new jug.......and more carbon in the gun too. 

26 minutes ago, BJB said:

Yes, I noticed seeing SP becoming more smokey back in the winter when I got into a new jug.......and more carbon in the gun too. 

yeah inside the gun is filthy even after only 100 rounds.