Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sport Pistol powder

jeffroberdo

So i decided to do an experiment to find out which of the 2 powders was the cleanest and gave the least amount of smoke using jacketed and coated bullets. I must admit i was surprised with the results. After 4000 rounds of range practice using N320 vs Sport Pistol the difference is apparent. Going into the experiment i was sure that N320 would win the clean part and pretty sure it would be at the top on smoke with coated bullets. I was totally wrong on both. 

Using ACME 124 grain coated and RMR 124 Match Winners Sport pistol proved without a doubt it is cleaner and way less smokey than N320. SP producted the best groups, gave the least amount of smoke with both jacketed and coated bullets. I would have bet and lost on this one but the difference after 4000 rounds of shooting shows Sport Pistol the clear winner in both cleanliness, accuracy and smoke. The only department i could give N320 an edge and only a very slight advantage at best would be in the perceived recoil area. Otherwise SP is a clear winner tit for tat including the much lower price.  

The smoke test was done indoors over a period of 5 weeks with 2 observers other than the shooter. The accuracy test was done using 3 different pistols outdoors at 25 yards. N320 produced average groups of 2.5", SP produced average groups of 1.5". 

I would be interseted in someone else's findings after an extended period of shooting. These are mine.

Loads consisted of 4.2 grains for the jacketed bullets and 3.8 for the coated bullets for each powder. PF average was 133 for each.

Edited by bowenbuilt

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bowenbuilt  Thank you. I use RMR 124 Match Winners with 3.8 Alliant American Select for a 130pf. I really like this combination, but I am running low on American Select. American Select gives me better, tighter groups than E3.  Both powders run clean. I will try 1lb of Sport Pistol when my AS runs out.

• 1 month later...
So that makes that a close burn rate as Titegroup?

I thought SW Clean Shot was the Titegroup equivalent?

I don’t see Sport Pistol listed any more. Did Clean Shot replace it?

I hope so, just bought a keg of based on that?!?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought SW Clean Shot was the Titegroup equivalent?

I don’t see Sport Pistol listed any more. Did Clean Shot replace it?

I hope so, just bought a keg of based on that?!?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sport Pistol is Alliant.

On 2/2/2020 at 2:18 PM, 1911in9mm said:

An Alliant powder rep has stated on another forum that SP has an extremely close to almost overlapping burn rate to American Select.  So I’d guess you’ll like it in that usage. 

Let me clarify the question, If Alliant Sport Pistol has a similar burn rate of Alliant American Select - that means per the powder burn charts it has a close burn rate to Hodgdon Titegroup.  Is this correct? 

13 minutes ago, Texaspaul said:

Let me clarify the question, If Alliant Sport Pistol has a similar burn rate of Alliant American Select - that means per the powder burn charts it has a close burn rate to Hodgdon Titegroup.  Is this correct? 

Yes, per an Alliant Powder rep on another “Highly” rated forum he stated it has a similar burn rate, functionally overlapping with American Select.  But also made sure to state they were two completely different powders.  

I doubt you will find Sport Pistol on any burn rate charts. As a point of reference, I had described this product as an accurate metering, small diameter version of American Select(R), which has been a favorite of mine in light centerfire pistol target type applications for years. (It doesn't meter all that well though.) This powder is absolutely not American Select though, so make no mistake about that. The chemistry and geometry are different, but I just used that as an example that made sense to me.
The third slide of the attached file shows how the P/V characteristics of Sport Pistol are essentially the same as N320, and close to Win231 and Titegroup in these applications. That is by design, as those three powders dominate the handloading by USPSA and IDPA shooters (according to our intel). We have received great feedback from our beta testers, so I think we hit our target.
(Disclaimer: the P/V chart does not show charge weights shot for the data, so please do not assume that the powders are the same because their P/V characteristics are similar. Titegroup, for example is a high nitroglycerine powder, so it's charges are materially less due to the high energy. Use only the manufacturer's data please.)
Thanks for the interest in our new product.

a copy and paste of one of his responses omitting only who he replied to and his name given.  In case you don’t believe some random stranger on the interwebs.   

According to Alliant's web site Sport Pistol is nearly identical to their American Select in burn rate.  The burn rate chart from Hodgdon says American Select is just below (very slightly slower) than TiteGroup so Sport Pistol is very similar to TiteGroup.  Not identical but similar.   For my 9 mm 125 gr Blue Bullet reloads the recommended  charge weights are identical with SP producing very slightly lower velocities.

Edited by SteelCityShooter

Thanks - guys - I was just looking for a powder similar to TG,  which I use.  Just wanted to try something different on coated bullets - I understand sticking close to published loads and not cross referencing powder charges with similar powder burn.  I am actually loading on the minimum charge for steel challenge.   

Winchester. Thought there was something wrong with my chronograph like it wasn't picking up shots. Registered all 5 shots when done. They were hand weighed charges for testing purposed so I am sure my mass produces stuff will not be as tight. About 70* out that day.

Edited by Joedirt199

New Guy here,

Just started loading for Steel Challenge and after a couple thousand rounds I have settled on 125g Blue Bullets TC (9mm) over 3.8g Sport Pistol. This load has been reliable and a joy to shoot in all my pistols.  I think maybe this is not news to a lot of you guys.

What did surprise me, was switching from CCI to WSP primers. Here are my chrono data for the above load with different primers. 2 guns (G17 and CZ P-01), 10 shots each run, listed in order of data collection:

WSP, G17, 1037 fps, 23 ES, 7.4 SD

WSP, CZP01, 1002 fps, 20 ES, 6.8 SD

CCI, G17, 1043 fps, 45 ES, 16.2 SD

CCI, CZP01, 1004 fps, 60 ES, 15.7 SD

WSP, CZP01, 992 fps, 25 ES, 9.6 SD

WSP, G17, 1037 fps, 31 ES, 9.2 SD

CCI, G17, 1045 fps, 43 ES, 13.0 SD

CCI, G17, 1065 fps, 65 ES, 17.3 AS

I know it's a little overkill, but I was quite surprised to see the improved SD with the WSP primers. I've always liked the CCI primers cuz they're easier to get in the pickup tubes, but I think I've convinced myself to switch over to WSP primers.  Is this unusual, or have I just rediscovered the wheel?

4 hours ago, Colin said:

New Guy here,

Just started loading for Steel Challenge and after a couple thousand rounds I have settled on 125g Blue Bullets TC (9mm) over 3.8g Sport Pistol. This load has been reliable and a joy to shoot in all my pistols.  I think maybe this is not news to a lot of you guys.

What did surprise me, was switching from CCI to WSP primers. Here are my chrono data for the above load with different primers. 2 guns (G17 and CZ P-01), 10 shots each run, listed in order of data collection:

WSP, G17, 1037 fps, 23 ES, 7.4 SD

WSP, CZP01, 1002 fps, 20 ES, 6.8 SD

CCI, G17, 1043 fps, 45 ES, 16.2 SD

CCI, CZP01, 1004 fps, 60 ES, 15.7 SD

WSP, CZP01, 992 fps, 25 ES, 9.6 SD

WSP, G17, 1037 fps, 31 ES, 9.2 SD

CCI, G17, 1045 fps, 43 ES, 13.0 SD

CCI, G17, 1065 fps, 65 ES, 17.3 AS

I know it's a little overkill, but I was quite surprised to see the improved SD with the WSP primers. I've always liked the CCI primers cuz they're easier to get in the pickup tubes, but I think I've convinced myself to switch over to WSP primers.  Is this unusual, or have I just rediscovered the wheel?

What you got is normal pick a different powder with the same basic load and you may have the opposite of what you got. Lol 

Edited by Dwbsig

I have loaded about 5000 rounds with Sport Pistol and like it. The powder metering is absolutely consistent in my Hornady AP. I have standardized on two 9mm loads with same 3.2 grain charge. Run Acme 124 red lipstick bullets to shoot in my PCC and run Bayou Bullets Black Cherry145s for my pistol. Have two seating dies color coded to the color of the bullets. So when switching loads I just change the seating die to match the  color of the bullets. Makes about 128 PF in both the pistol and the PCC.

My Sd's with sport pistol have around 5 with the 9, 40 and 45.

Seems like it's good from that part of the equation.

Using mixed brass in all of them and mostly federal primers 

Steel Challenge Loads, all with 115gr Bayou

9mm 1911: 3.2gr Sport Pistol.  Cycles 100% with acceptable ejection.  Winter temperatures required 3.4gr

9mm PCC with Wiland barrel: 2.8gr SP.  Taccom extreme bolt and 3-stage buffer

9mm CMMG with 8" barrel: 3.2gr SP.  Standard AR lower with 3 oz. buffer as recommended by CMMG.  Can probably go lower with this rifle, but had been troubleshooting an ejection issue. 

I don't general chrono for steel challenge, but will be doing so when I get a chance.  The PCCs are obviously very soft shooting.  The CMMG will cycle everything from defensive rounds down to the very soft competition loads.  Both PCCs are using AR lowers.

Has anyone tried both Alliant Sport Pistol and Shooter's World Clean Shot that can speak to their perception of the advantages/disadvantages of one over the other for 9mm minor? It seems both are touted to be relatively clean burning and meter well. Wondering if anyone has observed one powder to yield better ES/SD than the other in loads where the only difference was powder used.

Edited by kamber

On 4/7/2020 at 6:27 AM, RickT said:

Steel Challenge Loads, all with 115gr Bayou

9mm 1911: 3.2gr Sport Pistol.  Cycles 100% with acceptable ejection.  Winter temperatures required 3.4gr

9mm PCC with Wiland barrel: 2.8gr SP.  Taccom extreme bolt and 3-stage buffer

9mm CMMG with 8" barrel: 3.2gr SP.  Standard AR lower with 3 oz. buffer as recommended by CMMG.  Can probably go lower with this rifle, but had been troubleshooting an ejection issue. 

I don't general chrono for steel challenge, but will be doing so when I get a chance.  The PCCs are obviously very soft shooting.  The CMMG will cycle everything from defensive rounds down to the very soft competition loads.  Both PCCs are using AR lowers.

Just to update the 8" CMMG load results: this PCC will also cycle the 2.8 gr SP load with the 115gr Bayou bullets.  Ejection is very strong. 

On 4/7/2020 at 9:10 AM, kamber said:

Has anyone tried both Alliant Sport Pistol and Shooter's World Clean Shot that can speak to their perception of the advantages/disadvantages of one over the other for 9mm minor? It seems both are touted to be relatively clean burning and meter well. Wondering if anyone has observed one powder to yield better ES/SD than the other in loads where the only difference was powder used.

In my limited experience, Shooter's World CS has very similar ES and SD to Sport Pistol.  I will say however, that I was using a different chrono with CS than I usually use.  It may not matter but thought it should be stated.  I can give more feedback when I have shot more of it (only about 300 rounds so far).  

I'm trying CS because I was getting a fine dust on my press with Sport Pistol.  Dillon powder hopper on a 650.  Anyone else getting a fine dust on their Dillon press with Sport Pistol?  I have talked to some who get it and some who don't.  I find it quite strange.  I REALLY like the powder but I load inside a spare bedroom and want to keep the powder spillage as minimal as possible.

3 hours ago, Nuncles said:

In my limited experience, Shooter's World CS has very similar ES and SD to Sport Pistol.  I will say however, that I was using a different chrono with CS than I usually use.  It may not matter but thought it should be stated.  I can give more feedback when I have shot more of it (only about 300 rounds so far).  

I'm trying CS because I was getting a fine dust on my press with Sport Pistol.  Dillon powder hopper on a 650.  Anyone else getting a fine dust on their Dillon press with Sport Pistol?  I have talked to some who get it and some who don't.  I find it quite strange.  I REALLY like the powder but I load inside a spare bedroom and want to keep the powder spillage as minimal as possible.

Yes I have used about fifteen pounds of sport pistol and it does leave a fine dust on my press but I have not noticed any dust past my press on anything else. I got some aa#2 and its just as accurate and it does not leave any dust on the press.