Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most helpful tip you ever received

eric.goodwin.376

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was told once when I asked one of the top guns what is the most important thing to know when I was getting into 3 gun was,  

“ make sure your equiptment runs well and is reliable, it’s bad when you have to worry if your going to have a failure and not be able to concentrate on the task at hand.” 

I was told once when I asked one of the top guns what is the most important thing to know when I was getting into 3 gun was,  
“ make sure your equiptment runs well and is reliable, it’s bad when you have to worry if your going to have a failure and not be able to concentrate on the task at hand.” 

That is a very good statement. I usually only buy the stuff that I know will run then I push it to its limits with practice. Same with a hunt I would never take a rifle that I didn’t know if it would go off or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to pick one! 

Listening to the Anderson podcasts has been packed full of great advice for me. 

-Shoot at the speed of your vision, not “fast or slow”. 

-Shooting sooner IS shooting fatster. (Basically being ready to go upon arrival of shooting position)

Edited by Covfefe

My dad told me this many years ago.  Not about shooting a pistol, but it applies to shooting just about anything.

We were grouse hunting in WV.  We hunted a lot of old strip mines dating back to WW2, or before.  Those grouse were quick to get up and put something between you and them.  A tree, the spoil bank, the top of the cut, didn't matter they could get out of sight fast.  Between that and your own "demons" you always felt rushed to take the shot.

We'd stopped one day, while the dog went over the bank to find/bring back a grouse and dad walked up to me and said, "Do you ever think about how many times you miss a grouse on your first shot and then hit it with your second shot?  You know, by the second shot, that grouse is farther away and moving faster than when you missed him with the first shot, but you hit hime anyway.  Why don't you slow down a little on that first shot and make sure its a good shot."

I thought about it off and on the rest of the day.  I only shot at two running deer (a couple years later) and I hit both of them on the first shot.  It works.

On 1/3/2018 at 3:58 AM, stick said:

and fast is smooth

On 1/2/2018 at 8:58 PM, StuckinMS said:

Smooth is fast!

You get that from D.R Middlebrook ?  Where I heard it about 25 years..... Holy crap,, just did the math.. dang I suddenly got old.
Advice I got from Daniel Horner when he was about 14.
"Run fast but shoot slow"
Saying I made up and tell people when they are too conservative and take puposeful mikes on close shots, or go for a reload to play it safe when a full mag can finish a stage.
"If you shoot to win you might"
 "If you shoot to lose you will."

2 hours ago, Joe4d said:

You get that from D.R Middlebrook ?  Where I heard it about 25 years..... Holy crap,, just did the math.. dang I suddenly got old.
Advice I got from Daniel Horner when he was about 14.
"Run fast but shoot slow"
Saying I made up and tell people when they are too conservative and take puposeful mikes on close shots, or go for a reload to play it safe when a full mag can finish a stage.
"If you shoot to win you might"
 "If you shoot to lose you will."

Haven't met him.  I believe Rodney May is who told me that first. I like your saying as well.

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 3:58 AM, stick said:

and fast is smooth

I thought that saying was "slow is smooth, smooth is fast"

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 12:18 AM, Polymer said:

Quit switching back and forth between guns, pick one and just shoot it.

I'm learning that one on my own lol I've only shot competitions for one year but I went through 3 different guns and I'm sure that hindered my ability to shoot any one of them very well, but this year my plan is to stick to one gun and become proficient with it.